82 k1500 lost all forward gears no warning signs at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burt7039

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc
Engine Size
So left for work and for about a mile away from house and truck started slipping it didn’t matter if I tried to shift my self or left it In drive checked the fluid add a half a quart tried to leave truck woukd not move forward you could feel it like engage whe. U first out it in drive but it won’t move the truck. Coukd a bad modulator valve cause this

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
More info needed. Which transmission do you have? In '82 a 700R4 was introduced, maybe that's what you have?
I'd not even attempt driving as you may burn the clutches in transmission in no time if this is some valve body issue.

If you have 700R4 then maybe TV cable snapped. if so do not drive at all as damage will occur.

burt7039

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc
Engine Size
I believe it’s the th350 and the fluid is a dark red does smell a little burnt the truck was a standard but someone switched it to a automatic and they have a high rise edlebrock intake and carb. Headers 3 inch lift. I got it a couple of months ago and finished putting it together little stuff like lights weren’t working theb gas gauge. A lady cut me off I hit a snowbank at about 20 mph. The truck started running like crap after that high idle choke not working I figured the carb bought a new one and same issues couldn’t get it dialed in. The day before my tranny lost forward gears I found in the backside of carb on the intake there was a vacuume hole on the intake or the adapter the carb sits on so I plugged it and I got the carb adjusted it was running great for about 10 miles then the tranny went out that’s why I was wondering if the modulator could cause that. And maybe plugging that hole was a mistake and I just didn’t see what was suppost to be there the.vacune for the modulator cone. Out real close to we’re the vacuum port was

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4 neutrals and burnt fluid usually points to toasty clutchpacks and/or a failed pump. Can it be something minor? Possible but after about 10 minutes of checking, unlikely.
Regarding some of the other issues, 40 year old trucks live in the land of deferred maintenance, rusty grounds and amateur hacking, so it sucks, but sometimes it can be like one problem gets fixed and two more appear. The good news is that time and money fixes it and pretty soon, everyone marvels at how dependable your truck is.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
So left for work and for about a mile away from house and truck started slipping it didn’t matter if I tried to shift my self or left it In drive checked the fluid add a half a quart tried to leave truck woukd not move forward you could feel it like engage whe. U first out it in drive but it won’t move the truck. Coukd a bad modulator valve cause this
Yank it out, tear it down and inspect for hard part damage. Once cleaned up, grab two things to increase strength/mitigate two very common TH350 pattern failures at minimal cost:

- 4L60E center support: Drops in with no mods and its low roller clutch is much less prone to failure

- Sonnax HD intermediate roller clutch outer race (factory races are too hard from the factory)

- if doing high performance, dual feed the direct clutch (let me know if you want to do this and ill show you how).

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
When I rebuilt my 350 th, I did exactly what Nick suggested, my factory race broke. I also installed a 32 element sprag, I was able to purchase my 4l60e center support from a local shop. Many burnouts later, she still lives. I did also replace all the bushings, clutches, transgo shift kit, added the needle bearings, Nick knows. about 600 bucks. Had to take the first one apart several times to get the clearances right, a learning process, but learning is good.

burt7039

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc
Engine Size
What about a turbo 400 I was told it will go right in and that it’s a better tranny but the guy is obviously wanting me to buy it lol

burt7039

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc
Engine Size
There’s a guy selling a turbo 350 here locally is that the same as the th350

burt7039

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc
Engine Size
I’ve never tore into a tranny other than to change a filter and swap out a plug on a 4l80e

burt7039

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc
Engine Size
There’s a 2003 4l60e I could get really cheap too don’t know if it would work with my 1982 ?

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
TH350 is the same as a turbo 350, just different way of saying it. The 4L60e should need an electronic control module to make it work, so not a straight bolt in.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I had a th400 do things like that. The trans cooler was plugged and I didn't know what was happening and I fried it. But always wondered if I would have blew out cooler and Changed fluid sooner would it have fixed it? Truck had been sitting and and it was like that from day one.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
A 700r4 would work as a good option and you'll get overdrive.

burt7039

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc
Engine Size
I can still fill it engage when I put it in a drive gear but won’t go. No we’re

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads