74 k10 clutch job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Long time no see fellas! I recently bought a house and needed a truck to move so I snagged a 74 k10 with sm465. Its been great but all of a sudden the clutch is stuck engaged when I go to park it one day. Feels like I lost connection to the pressure plate, all I feel through the clutch pedal is the return spring now.

I assume its time for a new clutch and that something failed (throwout bearing?). The clutch itself was starting to get weak before this problem. I was curious what method is easiest for the earier manual k10s between dropping the trans, lifting the engine, or lifting both the engine and trans in order to do a clutch job? Pic for attention, hoping to be more active here its been a while :birgits_tiredcoffee
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey dude, I remember you! Welcome back!

Have you checked to make sure the clutch linkage is still all hooked up? With a lot of years and use, it can literally fall apart or even wear an end right off of a rod.

74Blaze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5/Blazer
Engine Size
I'm not sure which method is easiest, but when I put the clutch in Blaze, I dropped the Transmission and Transfer Case together using a Transmission Jack. It wasn't too bad of a job.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
I'm not sure which method is easiest, but when I put the clutch in Blaze, I dropped the Transmission and Transfer Case together using a Transmission Jack. It wasn't too bad of a job.
How difficult was it so slide everything together afterwards? Totally different animal, but when I did the clutch in my fiero I had to drop the cradle and pull everything apart. I ended up trying to slide the transaxle onto the engine while on an engine lift. It was kindof a pain to align everything and slide together without putting torque on the clutch.

Have you checked to make sure the clutch linkage is still all hooked up? With a lot of years and use, it can literally fall apart or even wear an end right off of a rod.
Howdy, ever get those LEDs in? :wave:

I've checked what I can with one person, need to drag my brother over to help out.
Any recommendations for a heavy duty clutch? I work and play a lot with the truck so it does get abused, plus may do a crate engine swap someday budget permitting

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I put a new McCloud clutch in my 85 about a year ago. Been very happy with the quality. I'm actually pulling the trans/t-case out this weekend to swap a new 4500 for the current one and swap t-cases from a 208 to a 205.I have been contemplating putting them in as one unit or two as well. Given the weight (#350) I'm pretty sure it will be a two-step process.

74Blaze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5/Blazer
Engine Size
How difficult was it so slide everything together afterwards?
I remember a lot of shaking and pushing (like five or ten minutes), then it just slipped in to place.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When it's installed check the cab for movement front to back when clutch pedal is depressed. If it has original cab mounts they are very likely shot. Have seen cabs move 1" or more. Really messes with clutch adjustment.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
On my 75k I'd pull the engine. IMHO on my old K I can pull the engine quicker and easier than the transfer case and transmission.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
On my 75k I'd pull the engine. IMHO on my old K I can pull the engine quicker and easier than the transfer case and transmission.
I think both methods are pretty easy on the removal, what I worry about is ease of alignment. Had any issues on the reinstall before?
When it's installed check the cab for movement front to back when clutch pedal is depressed. If it has original cab mounts they are very likely shot. Have seen cabs move 1" or more. Really messes with clutch adjustment.
I wouldn't bet a dime thats not the issue... :rofl:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@guitarfreak235 I'm sorry man I did my first engine swap,no adult supervision or assistance at 14, quit having alignment problems at 15,that was my first automatic to manual swap and I didn't line the clutch disc up correctly. If you've done an engine or transmission once or twice you won't have a problem. Cut the heads off a couple of long bolts,cut screw driver slots in them,use them as longer alignment dowels in the lower 2 bolt holes.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Long time no see fellas! I recently bought a house and needed a truck to move so I snagged a 74 k10 with sm465. Its been great but all of a sudden the clutch is stuck engaged when I go to park it one day. Feels like I lost connection to the pressure plate, all I feel through the clutch pedal is the return spring now.

I assume its time for a new clutch and that something failed (throwout bearing?). The clutch itself was starting to get weak before this problem. I was curious what method is easiest for the earier manual k10s between dropping the trans, lifting the engine, or lifting both the engine and trans in order to do a clutch job? Pic for attention, hoping to be more active here its been a while :birgits_tiredcoffee
You must be registered for see images attach
Line up bolts,, bit of oil on input shaft,, good eye to make sure things are going in square and life is easy..

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I think both methods are pretty easy on the removal, what I worry about is ease of alignment. Had any issues on the reinstall before?

I wouldn't bet a dime thats not the issue... :rofl:
As stated, very important to have the clutch disc centered. Use an alignment tool when bolting the pressure plate on. The course splines of the input shaft go in easy if lined up. What can help, is shift the trans in gear before removing the shifter. Then you can turn the input shaft with the tail shaft.

When the clutch fails on and the pedal has no push back, most likely the pressure plate has a broken finger. Never buy a (rebuilt) pressure plate.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel

I have seen the linkage rod push right threw the throw out arm before

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have seen the linkage rod push right threw the throw out arm before

Yep, me too. When you think about how many times a year the clutch gets used, it actually amazes me that the parts last as long as they do.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
LUK clutches are good for stock applications. Diaphragm style is very smooth if available. Never had an issue that I could say was caused by that brand clutch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad