Which clutch!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Avoid a three finger pressure plate like the plague.
I totally agree!

I was service manager for 15 GMC or Chevy 1 1/2T to 3T tow trucks and although they had 3-finger OE clutches at first, we found that the drivers quickly got fatigued with the HD clutches and we changed them all out for Diaphragm-styles that took a lot less pressure to disconnect.

It was a lot less wear and tear on the whole driveline - u-joints in particular.

The Borg-Beck styles had a lot of hold, but they were hard to hook up softly with a vehicle in tow and the heavy weight of the truck too.

Now - if your vehicle is lighter - there's a lot of chirping and jumping and wear on the clutch linkage too.

I've seen the frame-side ball rip off the frame from a lot of mechanical disadvantage.

Lifetime-wearwise, the diaphragms outlasted the Finger styles especially when you know a 13" 3800lb Hays Invader Clutch is what you're lusting for but it just tore things up.

You must be registered for see images attach

.......... a Hays 3800lb Borg-Beck style clutch

You must be registered for see images attach

......... a 12" diaphragm type clutch.

/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag