700R4 shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Here are my issues:

1. tranny constantly shifts at even the slightest inclines driving down the highway.

2. tranny hits hard from 1st to 2nd...KACHUNG! let off on throttle just prior to shift and it lightens up a bit.

3. 4th gear...what's 4th gear!?! I have to be climbing a mountain with my foot in the engine to get it to shift to 4th and it hits hard too.

TV cable adjusted, oil/filter changed, stuck accumulator fixed...all done by certified tranny shop.

HELP! Any ideas?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Here are my issues:

1. tranny constantly shifts at even the slightest inclines driving down the highway.

2. tranny hits hard from 1st to 2nd...KACHUNG! let off on throttle just prior to shift and it lightens up a bit.

3. 4th gear...what's 4th gear!?! I have to be climbing a mountain with my foot in the engine to get it to shift to 4th and it hits hard too.

TV cable adjusted, oil/filter changed, stuck accumulator fixed...all done by certified tranny shop.

HELP! Any ideas?
Whats your gear ratio and tire size? 2 or 4 wd?

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
3.42 with 33" tires K10

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
if it's an aftermarket carb.. do you have a TV corrector on it? Correct bracketry?

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That sounds just like my Trans in my 87' - Pretty sure mine is starting to go as I felt it slipping a little the other day.

Never gets into OD unless going down a hill. I have 3.42 gears with 33" tires as well. I started just running in D instead.

Hoping my Trans lasts, the TV cable has been adjusted but I think its too late. Probably looking at a TH350 swap for me as I dont use OD anyways.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That sounds just like my Trans in my 87' - Pretty sure mine is starting to go as I felt it slipping a little the other day.

Never gets into OD unless going down a hill. I have 3.42 gears with 33" tires as well. I started just running in D instead.

Hoping my Trans lasts, the TV cable has been adjusted but I think its too late. Probably looking at a TH350 swap for me as I dont use OD anyways.

33 s are a little on the big side for 3.42s. 700r 4 s dont like real low rpms and that kind of strain. 3.73s at least, or no bigger than 31.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did this just happen all of a sudden, or has it happened gradually getting worse and worse?
Not that it matters alot since in whichever case, the hard shifting and clunking or hard hitting going into gears usualy mean the trans is short lived. Sometimes for worn clutchs and the pistons to compress the clutch packs are out of spec, and the piston is traveling further to compress the clutch pack, and traveling further with high pressure, then it hits harder. Other causes is stuck boost valves or leaking valves.

And in your #1 symptom, do you mean it's constantly DOWNSHIFTING???

And 4th, you have to be CLIMBING, not going down a hill? Some of this makes no sense is why I ask for specifics.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
33 s are a little on the big side for 3.42s. 700r 4 s dont like real low rpms and that kind of strain. 3.73s at least, or no bigger than 31.

I'm headed to 35's with 4.10

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Did this just happen all of a sudden, or has it happened gradually getting worse and worse?
Not that it matters alot since in whichever case, the hard shifting and clunking or hard hitting going into gears usualy mean the trans is short lived. Sometimes for worn clutchs and the pistons to compress the clutch packs are out of spec, and the piston is traveling further to compress the clutch pack, and traveling further with high pressure, then it hits harder. Other causes is stuck boost valves or leaking valves.

And in your #1 symptom, do you mean it's constantly DOWNSHIFTING???

And 4th, you have to be CLIMBING, not going down a hill? Some of this makes no sense is why I ask for specifics.

Always been this way, not getting worse...just is the way it is. Yes, it downshifts at the slightest incline. Was told to change oil and put in a new TV plunger/sleeve & spring (Sonnax Performer set)...so I did..no real change though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a feeling it's not downshifting, being the lock up is vacuum controlled, I have a feeling it might just be unlocking the converter. Which is somewhat normal. The second you start an incline the motor will feel the strain and lose some vacuum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard