Automatic transmission newbie asking basic questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Make sure the engine reaches operating temp. Make sure the cruise/TCC switch is adjusted correctly. Pretty sure those trucks have 2 brake light switches, one for the brake lights, one for the cruise/TCC. Just as a cheap/easy diagnostic aid, next time it acts funny, pull up on the brake pedal. Maybe the switch is ever so slightly out of adjustment, just enough to break the circuit to the TCC.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I took it on a highway with less traffic and played with a shifter/cruise/throttle while driving and now I'm convinced that it is gear hunting, not a converter locking and unlocking. Rev change when I manually shift between D and OD is matching what I'm hearing. Keeping it in D makes it go away, however that's not optimal... I have slightly bigger wheels so that's may be one of the contributing factors.

I'm reading that it is a common issue with those transmissions, but I can't find one solution. I see ideas to change fluid and filter, replace one of the valves that may be leaking, change gear ratios or just not to use OD in a speed range when it's happening. Unfortunately it is happening at my cruising speed of around 55 mph (62 mph real speed)

Is there any way to force it to stay in OD?

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
My brother tells me there is a configuration possible he uses where it only goes into torque converter lockup in 4th. Someone well versed in 700r4 can explain the valving changes and whatever other mods it takes.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I did the painless kit. That may be what is being referenced, they do mention that some transmissions will need an auxillary on off switch, if lockup isn't operating "properly"

Mine might be one of those, but I also think my torque converter o-ring may be fried. I know enough about 700's to get me in trouble, but I stay away from anything past the pump on autos.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
depends on your tire size and gearing, how bad it will hunt. I will say that I keep mine in D unless I am consistently at 60mph or above to limit hunting and torque converter locking and unlocking issues. Mine is a 1990 v1500 burb with 700r4 and 3.73 rolling on BFG 33in (really ~32in). but I usually don't cruise at 55mph for long stretches. I highway cruise at 70-75.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Mine doesn't hunt. 45 the torque converter wants to lock or unlock. On hills with 35's it definitely has to downshift on steeper hills, my area has rolling hills and badlands as the landscape so I have to downshift more often than some, but not at all what I would call unexpected.

The sweet spot with 35's and 3.73's on mine is around 60-70 where it will pull most hills, but not the really steep ones, while locked up. It will drop a little bit of speed. I don't go faster than 70 since I dont drive interstate, unless I'm letting it eat a little lol. My engine is decently tired though. Pretty much stock other than ramhorn manifolds and an aluminum edelbrock dual plane

That being said I'm 90% sure mine goes into lockup as soon as it hits 4th gear I can only get it to go 4th gear only, if I slightly press the brake pedal to deactivate OD. Basically like the aux on off switch they say some might need. I still think it might be my lockup o-ring, in my case.

Last edited:

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
I'm worried that my TC seems to lock and unlock too much. Sometimes at steady driving it seems to randomly unlock and lock couple of times. At first I thought it was cruise control playing with throttle, but with windows up I can hear revs going up and down a tiny bit. I believe it is triggered by slight uphills, like the ones you'd normally barely notice and then continues once it is back to flat. Playing a bith with throttle makes it calm down.

I've adjusted TV cable according to the procedure which moved shift points a little up and made the shifts a bit firmer, fotunately the change is not to dramating, so I assume it was just a tiny bit too loose.

I'm worried because as with any clutch it has a limited life, so if I can make to avoid that unnecesary cycling it would be great.
The TCC can take a lot of abuse ---- up to a point. The weakest part is the sprag which can roll-over during a WOT high RPM shift -- and I've even ruined a few going for 4th/OD and when it shifted, it makes a strange 'growling" noise and then the damage is done.

It's still driveable --- just that going into L/U (TCC) it will either flare a bit, shudder or refuse to even try ... you will still have OD, but no TCC. Then it's convertor time!

If you have to use a significant amount of throttle changes to hold a highway speed and you think it's going into and out of L/U too much, you CAN drop to 3rd/Direct and that should eliminate it. BTW: 3rd/Direct will increase the RPM a bit - but you should still be able to exceed the speed limit by another 25-30 MPH or so if you live in SoCal where the limits are lower --- 'way before you hit too much RPM.

I installed a switch on my console that injects 12V directly into the transmission to make the TCC apply. I left the BOO Switch override alone so it still uncouples whenever I apply the brakes and the internal pressure sensor knows to open the circuit when the unit is below the threshold that happens in 1st/Reverse and 2nd/Intermediate.

Why does it uncouple during 2nd/Intermediate? Because if you are driving on particularly nasty black ice (in Montana, this can happen any time of the year) you can use that gear as the startup position to keep wheelspin to a minimum.

Putting the quadrant in 2nd/Intermediate gear will cause the until to hold that gear until (either) A} you get scared or B} the rods come out for a look at the rest of the world.

I have had to use 3rd/Direct and TCC in pulling McDonald Pass - hauling a 20' trailer with a neighbor's piano collection - and even at that altitude (mine is pre-FI, as in: a 1986 K5) and the roadspeed was still fast enough to scare me a tiny bit.

Typically I use my K5 to gather firewood and I crawl over stumps and trees with a 16' or 20' trailer behind me in the high woods here in Montana. I have a rear Gov-Lok and front Posi with 3.73:1 gears and a stroker 350/383 - which I think was a lot of money for basically just a little more torque.

I run a Crower cam, Edelbrock Low-rise manifold and a Q-Jet. I took off the computer and installed a stock HEI and still use the EGR and the AIR pump. I removed the AC 'cause this is Montana and it's not hot enough to even run it anyway.

Thoughts after 200,000+ miles in my K5 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

WHAT'S THE WEAK LINK ON AN '86 K5?

1. The frame is a little too flexible for me - but it is a survivor, so it's got that going for it.
2. The steering box is actually too weak for a truck of any size larger than a Toyopet (that was a real vehicle) and I've had a couple of them fail by breaking off the pitman shaft right where the splines start.
3. The Gov-lok is a weak link too - but I know that and treat it with care, making sure it knows I want it to pull with both axles --- before I actually push for too much power. You can gently "blip" the throttle --- kinda hard to explain - but it's just the way I make the clock gears move enough to apply the clutches. It takes some experience and knowing what's going on inside the differential to make it happen.
4. I wish it had had FI ... and a full serpentine belt instead of a partial serpentine belt and a PS Vee belt. The tiny AIR Pump belt is THE 1986 OE and still running 'round and 'round!
5. The OE "Automatic Hubs" were a huge joke - unless you were a soccer mom and had to go up a slippery driveway the last 8 feet. I "ker-BOOMED" mine about 25 years ago and went to WARN hubs. Once manually engaged, you can go from 2WD-H to 4WD-H at any time or conceivable roadspeed you want. I think. So far --- so good.
5. The electric tailgate window drive is just bad engineering. The cable driveshaft can blow up and although I've got mine sleeved and epoxied and miniature hose together clamped well -- I expect it to fail when I need it most .... again.
6. The tailgate inner panels are too flimsy to support much (read: any) weight and it will bend into the window motor --- and it can really screw things up --- it's a bad design to say the least. Don't even kneel on it --- and I'm not over 180lbs! Just sayin'

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
The TCC can take a lot of abuse ---- up to a point. The weakest part is the sprag which can roll-over during a WOT high RPM shift -- and I've even ruined a few going for 4th/OD and when it shifted, it makes a strange 'growling" noise and then the damage is done.

It's still driveable --- just that going into L/U (TCC) it will either flare a bit, shudder or refuse to even try ... you will still have OD, but no TCC. Then it's convertor time!

If you have to use a significant amount of throttle changes to hold a highway speed and you think it's going into and out of L/U too much, you CAN drop to 3rd/Direct and that should eliminate it. BTW: 3rd/Direct will increase the RPM a bit - but you should still be able to exceed the speed limit by another 25-30 MPH or so if you live in SoCal where the limits are lower --- 'way before you hit too much RPM.

I installed a switch on my console that injects 12V directly into the transmission to make the TCC apply. I left the BOO Switch override alone so it still uncouples whenever I apply the brakes and the internal pressure sensor knows to open the circuit when the unit is below the threshold that happens in 1st/Reverse and 2nd/Intermediate.

Why does it uncouple during 2nd/Intermediate? Because if you are driving on particularly nasty black ice (in Montana, this can happen any time of the year) you can use that gear as the startup position to keep wheelspin to a minimum.

Putting the quadrant in 2nd/Intermediate gear will cause the until to hold that gear until (either) A} you get scared or B} the rods come out for a look at the rest of the world.

I have had to use 3rd/Direct and TCC in pulling McDonald Pass - hauling a 20' trailer with a neighbor's piano collection - and even at that altitude (mine is pre-FI, as in: a 1986 K5) and the roadspeed was still fast enough to scare me a tiny bit.

Typically I use my K5 to gather firewood and I crawl over stumps and trees with a 16' or 20' trailer behind me in the high woods here in Montana. I have a rear Gov-Lok and front Posi with 3.73:1 gears and a stroker 350/383 - which I think was a lot of money for basically just a little more torque.

I run a Crower cam, Edelbrock Low-rise manifold and a Q-Jet. I took off the computer and installed a stock HEI and still use the EGR and the AIR pump. I removed the AC 'cause this is Montana and it's not hot enough to even run it anyway.

Thoughts after 200,000+ miles in my K5 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

WHAT'S THE WEAK LINK ON AN '86 K5?

1. The frame is a little too flexible for me - but it is a survivor, so it's got that going for it.
2. The steering box is actually too weak for a truck of any size larger than a Toyopet (that was a real vehicle) and I've had a couple of them fail by breaking off the pitman shaft right where the splines start.
3. The Gov-lok is a weak link too - but I know that and treat it with care, making sure it knows I want it to pull with both axles --- before I actually push for too much power. You can gently "blip" the throttle --- kinda hard to explain - but it's just the way I make the clock gears move enough to apply the clutches. It takes some experience and knowing what's going on inside the differential to make it happen.
4. I wish it had had FI ... and a full serpentine belt instead of a partial serpentine belt and a PS Vee belt. The tiny AIR Pump belt is THE 1986 OE and still running 'round and 'round!
5. The OE "Automatic Hubs" were a huge joke - unless you were a soccer mom and had to go up a slippery driveway the last 8 feet. I "ker-BOOMED" mine about 25 years ago and went to WARN hubs. Once manually engaged, you can go from 2WD-H to 4WD-H at any time or conceivable roadspeed you want. I think. So far --- so good.
5. The electric tailgate window drive is just bad engineering. The cable driveshaft can blow up and although I've got mine sleeved and epoxied and miniature hose together clamped well -- I expect it to fail when I need it most .... again.
6. The tailgate inner panels are too flimsy to support much (read: any) weight and it will bend into the window motor --- and it can really screw things up --- it's a bad design to say the least. Don't even kneel on it --- and I'm not over 180lbs! Just sayin'
Interesting to know there's that much difference between the Blazer and Suburban tailgates. 4 of our 5 square body Burbs had the tailgate and power window. The window motor was on the regulator and worked fine as long as it was greased. Dad and I rebuilt a couple of those gates in the front yard. And we used to sit on our gates all the time, used them for staging boxes and other stuff during loading.

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
I'm worried that my TC seems to lock and unlock too much. Sometimes at steady driving it seems to randomly unlock and lock couple of times. At first I thought it was cruise control playing with throttle, but with windows up I can hear revs going up and down a tiny bit. I believe it is triggered by slight uphills, like the ones you'd normally barely notice and then continues once it is back to flat. Playing a bith with throttle makes it calm down.

I've adjusted TV cable according to the procedure which moved shift points a little up and made the shifts a bit firmer, fotunately the change is not to dramating, so I assume it was just a tiny bit too loose.

I'm worried because as with any clutch it has a limited life, so if I can make to avoid that unnecesary cycling it would be great.

Add a bottle of Lucas transmission conditioner to her. I would also plumb in a large external trans fluid cooler. :waytogo:

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I "fixed" my transmission couple of days ago.
I'm a true newbie as I've read the oil level incorrectly and sure enough, on a hot transmission and 100% flat ground it was low.

Where did the oil go? Could it evaporate or something? My oil pan is wet but not dripping, my transfer case does drip like a drop or two of ATF per day, but that's separate from gearbox oil...

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I'm a true newbie as I've read the oil level incorrectly and sure enough, on a hot transmission and 100% flat ground it was low.

Where did the oil go? Could it evaporate or somsomething
From my understanding, a 700-R4 and your transfer case share a small amount of fluid. That's why the piece between the two is sealed to both with rtv. If the input seal is bad on your transfer case, it can take more than it's fair share of fluid and become overfilled. This leaves your trans slightly underfilled.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
To build on that... my k10 does this. I add fluid to keep the trans at the appropriate operating level and let the transfer case run high. I simply don't want to pull the transfer case since I have higher priority projects. This may have negative affects I'm unaware of???

I only use 4wd in snow storm commutes, boat launches, muddy fields, and similar hunting adventures. No real off roading or abuse.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
To build on that... my k10 does this. I add fluid to keep the trans at the appropriate operating level and let the transfer case run high. I simply don't want to pull the transfer case since I have higher priority projects. This may have negative affects I'm unaware of???

I only use 4wd in snow storm commutes, boat launches, muddy fields, and similar hunting adventures. No real off roading or abuse.
I'd be slightly concerned for the transfer case. Of course 4wd is more abuse, but a lot of stuff still spins around in there in 2wd. I'd be concerned about aeration.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I'd be slightly concerned for the transfer case.
Thanks for the heads up. I am slightly concerned... but having an extra np208 that worked when pulled is still going to keep that input seal from being my top priority.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Thanks for the heads up. I am slightly concerned... but having an extra np208 that worked when pulled is still going to keep that input seal from being my top priority.
Let her ride. Let us know lolol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad