Automatic transmission newbie asking basic questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Found my missing ATF, whole two liters of it - In transfer case. It gushed out through the filler plug like it was a drain plug.

I will keep an eye on oil levels to see at what rate ATF moves from transmission to the transfer case.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Found my missing ATF, whole two liters of it - In transfer case. It gushed out through the filler plug like it was a drain plug.

I will keep an eye on oil levels to see at what rate ATF moves from transmission to the transfer case.
there is a seal between the transmission and transfer case that has gone bad. you have to pull the transfer case to fix it. as long as you keep topping off the transmission and relieving the excess from the transfer case you can live with it as long as you want to keep playing that game.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
By the way is there any particular reason why is the transfer case hanging so low? It's so low and in a middle between axles that it would be the 1st think to hit a rock or something. It lokms that it has six evenly spaced bolts holding it together to transmission and there is ton of room above the TC, is it possible to install it rorated like one hole up?

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
is it possible to install it rorated like one hole up?
It's called clocking the transfer case. Off road guys do it for the additional ground clearance you mentioned. I think it requires some new or modified parts though.

I've never had the need or desire to look into it beyond that. The "clocking" terminology should help you in your search.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Got any pics of the current situation ^^
Sure:
Exhaust pipe and the crossmember hang so low to clear the front driveshaft, as a result of low hanging transfer case.

It's called clocking the transfer case. Off road guys do it for the additional ground clearance you mentioned. I think it requires some new or modified parts though.

I've never had the need or desire to look into it beyond that. The "clocking" terminology should help you in your search.
I see that there are adapter plates available that can clock the TC at some in between angles. Would clocking it all the way up by 60 degrees be too much?
I'm bit worried that the driveshaft may be almost touching the transmission. Anyway if I ever decide to do something about it then I'll probably hust put a rock shield on it.

Attachments

• 2023-08-05 14.09.29.jpg
    2023-08-05 14.09.29.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 24

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I'm worried that my TC seems to lock and unlock too much. Sometimes at steady driving it seems to randomly unlock and lock couple of times. At first I thought it was cruise control playing with throttle, but with windows up I can hear revs going up and down a tiny bit. I believe it is triggered by slight uphills, like the ones you'd normally barely notice and then continues once it is back to flat. Playing a bith with throttle makes it calm down.

I've adjusted TV cable according to the procedure which moved shift points a little up and made the shifts a bit firmer, fotunately the change is not to dramating, so I assume it was just a tiny bit too loose.

I'm worried because as with any clutch it has a limited life, so if I can make to avoid that unnecesary cycling it would be great.
Drive in third gear "3" and let it be. That's sound advice.
Other dude asked "what's the weak link of an 86 K5?"
It has a turbo 350. There are no weak links.:)
OP: I built my 88K5 with a 1986 spec Th350. A 7004r has no place in a truck like yours, they are a suck azz transmission...it's easy peasy to retrofit to 1986 specifications.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag