Another 700r4 question. Weird happening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Newly rebuilt trans has about 500 miles on it, give or take. Trouble free.

Took the truck to town today. After an hour or so of running around to different places, the truck was hard to start. Seemed flooded. Once it started had to rev it up somewhat to clear the “flood”, so it would stay running. Engine ran fine.

Idled across the parking lot, to the road home. Noticed the trans felt weird. Not shifting. Felt like it was slipping!

Limped it to a safe place to get out for a look. Popped the hood and went to the dip stick. Right on the mark. Not hot and smelled fine.

Checked the tv cable. Still connected and adjusted to the same tension as when I installed it, as per the paint mark I put on the cable once I adjusted it. HOWEVER, when I pulled the cable from the housing (mimicking the throttle pulling it when you press the pedal), it didn’t pull itself back into the transmission as quickly as it normally would. Tried it a few more times and it seemed fine. I closed the hood and proceeded to drive it, and everything seemed fine again. Shifting fine, no slipping sensation,etc.

One thing to note also, when it started acting up, I tried to shift it manually , and nothing. Stayed in whatever gear it was in.

Ideas???

Codfish

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
It’s kinda common for the TV valve inside the valve body to stick. TransGo and a few other venders sell a tiny spring to prevent the valve from hanging up.

Let the shop who did the rebuild look at it before messing with it yourself. Don’t even tell them you looked at it. Unfortunately, some shops will want to hassle you over warranty if you even touch the trans.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Unfortunately the rebuilder lives 600 miles away.

Is that the plunger that the tv cable lever is connected to?

Thanks

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The plunger is in the valve body.

Can you ask the builder about the valve body? Find out what he did to it.

The springs are available thru TranStar and other venders. I’ll see if I can find a part number.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell