454v8 timing-need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
BOUGHT THIS 86 GMC-some one five years ago.had painted and installed this 454v8.the guy i got it from.had it two year.he was not playing with a full deck.things were out of adjustment.i have been fixing little things..for awhile now.

the engine was running low power.gas just running out the exaust.no timing pointer.on the timing chain cover.i moved the distributor.towards the carb.the thing was big time.retarded.i ran the engine idle up.moved the distributor.untill the engine ran strong.

but when i go up the road.and stop some where.it cranks like the timing is off.big time.i am wondering.if the distributor.could even be out of time.with piston one.on the compression stroke..

i need to figure this out.just doing a little bit at a time.now dealing with this..tell me what you know..any one else dealt with this..on the big blocks..

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Without a timing tab, you will always be guessing.

Adjust for fastest idle, set idle, then adjust for fastest idle again. If engine is hard to crank, back off timing a wee bit and try again. If it's still hard to crank, back it off a little more. Reset the idle again if it needs it, then drive it and see how you like it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also, how many miles on this motor? Is it possible the chain is very worn? If so, even with a timing tab, and making sure you have the correct timing tab, if the chain is very worn, even with initial timing set to proper spec, your actual timing can be retarded from the light is showing, so if its high mileage, you want to add a couple degrees to compensate for chain wear.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Also, how many miles on this motor? Is it possible the chain is very worn? If so, even with a timing tab, and making sure you have the correct timing tab, if the chain is very worn, even with initial timing set to proper spec, your actual timing can be retarded from the light is showing, so if its high mileage, you want to add a couple degrees to compensate for chain wear.
I have always went by the premonition that if you see the timing mark dancing around in the timing light that meant a loose chain. Thoughts?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have always went by the premonition that if you see the timing mark dancing around in the timing light that meant a loose chain. Thoughts?

Not always. Could be a bad inductive pick up on the tool, could be a bad wire you are hooked to, or even a worn dizzy cap and rotor causing the gun to receive bad signals. Normally a loose chain is going to hold its slack at low rpm. Where you'd notice a loose chain is if when you let off the throlle and/or stab the throttle.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Not always. Could be a bad inductive pick up on the tool, could be a bad wire you are hooked to, or even a worn dizzy cap and rotor causing the gun to receive bad signals. Normally a loose chain is going to hold its slack at low rpm. Where you'd notice a loose chain is if when you let off the throlle and/or stab the throttle.

:crazy:

:Moon:

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
I got too install a timing pointer..then go from there..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You really only need the pointer for fine tuning using a timing light. Although, the pointer and KNOWING for sure you have the right one with the right balancer does give you some more ways of diagnosis.

If you think the dizzy is off with #1 compression stroke, you could always dead stick time it. Bring #1 up on Top Dead Center of the Comression Stroke. Then pull the dizzy cap. Where the rotor is pointing, in referance to what plug wire on the dizzy cap, that is where you want #1 wire plugged in. That will get it started. Then you can fine tune by ear, or timing light from there. I'd go with more advanced timing, then keep backing it down until the pinging goes away, then an additional 2 degrees to be sure you don't end up with any run on or dieseling issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising