454 or 383

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Okay guys sorry if this is a duplicate thread I think I've read a similar post somewhere but couldn't find it. Anyways I have a 80's 350 block 2 pc rms and 4 bolt main that needs a refresh I was planning to do a 383 stroker with new vortech heads and intake.
Today at work someone suggested for the price I was going to spend on the 383 (little over 2 grand) I should just go big for a 454 and stroker that or rebuild that instead and maybe even save some money.
This will be going in my 84 Chevy k20 which won't be a daily driver so gas mileage isn't a huge deal, mostly for fun having alot of power in a big truck and towing here and there. My truck did come with the 350 block I have so I'm not sure how much extra the different engine mounts and fitment issues would run my tab up to. Any suggestions on which way to go or help would be great guys thanks!

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
well you have the block in ur truck now for the 383 build so still going to be cheaper than going and buying the 454 then stroke it and w/e and a 383 is pretty stout but a wise man on GSMB once said "Never put a mouse were a RAT can reside!"

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I have asked my self this same Question(SBC vs. BBC).
Go small-block, they are cheaper to build up and last longer in the long run.
Big block you would need to renforce your front springs(add leafs), and it would be all new bracketry and mounts.

May I ask how your spending 2k on a 383??
You can build a stout 383 for 1000-1500.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Parts for big blocks are also a little tougher to find, and when you do, there is a heafty primium. There is also a weight savings to consider with the SB.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd go 383 and the Vortec heads like your original plan. You WILL NOT build a 454 nowhere near $2K and even if you do, it will be a sled with peanut port heads unless you spend a fortune on heads.

It would be a different story if you already had the core for the 454, but I'd stick with your plan. The 383 is a torque monster, and so is the 454 but not all the impressive on hp IMO. With the 383 you're getting both tq and hp for much less, and easier to find parts.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have asked my self this same Question(SBC vs. BBC).
Go small-block, they are cheaper to build up and last longer in the long run.
Big block you would need to renforce your front springs(add leafs), and it would be all new bracketry and mounts.

May I ask how your spending 2k on a 383??
You can build a stout 383 for 1000-1500.

This is how my cost planning is right now here's a run down of the main pieces for my build
You must be registered for see images attach

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd go 383 and the Vortec heads like your original plan. You WILL NOT build a 454 nowhere near $2K and even if you do, it will be a sled with peanut port heads unless you spend a fortune on heads.

It would be a different story if you already had the core for the 454, but I'd stick with your plan. The 383 is a torque monster, and so is the 454 but not all the impressive on hp IMO. With the 383 you're getting both tq and hp for much less, and easier to find parts.

Thanks for the advice that's exactly what I wanted to hear haha I always wanted a 383 but when I was told I should just go 454 cause there's "no replacement for displacement" it got me thinking

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Okay so I've posted a picture of my planned cost on key parts of the kit....any of those look like I'm spending too much? I've left out the machine shop costs but as far as components goes the major items are there

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks for the advice that's exactly what I wanted to hear haha I always wanted a 383 but when I was told I should just go 454 cause there's "no replacement for displacement" it got me thinking

That would have been true yesterday, but engine tech has finally caught up to the point to where that is an easily arguable statement....especially with the LS engines.
If you go with vortec heads, you can shave about $100 off the head budget, and add that, plus maybe another $50 to the cam and go roller. The HT383 cam comes to mind.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That would have been true yesterday, but engine tech has finally caught up to the point to where that is an easily arguable statement....especially with the LS engines.
If you go with vortec heads, you can shave about $100 off the head budget, and add that, plus maybe another $50 to the cam and go roller. The HT383 cam comes to mind.

Never heard of that cam... What's it good for? And yes I forgot to mention that budget is for a new aftermarket casting fully assembled set of vortec heads 64cc chambers

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here's a more accurate list of what my plans are.... Look good? Opinions are very welcomed I'm trying to finalize my decisions here thanks guys
You must be registered for see images attach

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Never heard of that cam... What's it good for? And yes I forgot to mention that budget is for a new aftermarket casting fully assembled set of vortec heads 64cc chambers

Good choice on the heads, if you look around, you can find new assembled votecs for around $240 each.
GM performance makes 2 383 crate engines for trucks specifically(or, if your in the ghetto, Pacificlee).
The Carbed version is the HT383, and the Gen1 vortec 350 replacement is the HT383E.
Big difference betwix cam profiles for performance cars, compaired to trucks.
Truck cams will focus on low range RPM torque, and the car cams are more mid to higher rpm power bands.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
'Bout all a big block does good in my opinion is DRINK the gas.. I've never been impressed, for the weight, and fuel consumption with the power they supply.

I mean, sure, if you wanna blown mud dragster you will never drive on the street with NOS, yeah, go with the stroked 454, but if you wanna actually drive and use the truck, nothing that big block can do that couldn't be done with better fuel mileage on a small block. When you are comparing a 383 to 454, you are only talking 70CI, the cost of parts, the weight of the engine, the extra suspension requirements for the weight all add up to just not worth it.. Especially since you can get a 400 small block, and now you are only 50 CI away..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's about where I'm at on Big Blocks. Strictly for racing and that's that.

You can design a small block to do anything you want it to do. With the stroker mods available, the pistons, the heads, the cams, exhaust and intake systems available, you can make a small block from an Econo Motor, to Towing Torque Monster to a Street/Strip Car or Truck.

I don't want to knock anyone down, because there are purposes for BBC's and it is a fact that there is no substitute for cubes in like motors, but there are substitutes in technology. In my days of Illegal Street Racing, I usually reffered to the Big Block guys as *******. Anyone can throw a cam, headers and intake on a BBC an make horsepower with the right heads. You just don't have to do much to a BBC. It's not rocket science. Now build a 7000 rpm small block to hold together and make lots of tq and hp and now you're doing something.

I do have me a cheater 454 too, but I bought it that way. If I ever get some cash and find some good heads, it might run good someday, but it won't be my daily driver, and no, it won't be the fatest thing on the street.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I agree with all the above but you just can't beat the wow factor of a big block under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris