3/4 454 suburban exhaust, modify factory or strip to new!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txaggie

Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Howdy all!

I have a 454 suburban I’m messing with and we are about to put headers on it. It came equipped from the factory with dual exhaust no cats and some heat shields on the pipes 2.5” in diameter. When the exhaust hits the mufflers it pivots to 2.25”. One of my techs thinks it will be easier/cheaper to modify the factory exhaust, cut the heat shields off, h pipe it, and weld Flowmaster 50 series 2.25 in the place of the factory muffler.

My thought is to scrap the whole pipe system and put on 2.5 front to back with some Borla xs pros. Thoughts?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Interesting options.
Depends how solid the old pipes are and cost to do all the modifications.
IMO calculate both options completely as it may cost as much or more to mod a set of 30+ year old exhaust pipes.

Confused

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you have good 2.5 pipes to tie into then why not use them? I could see doing some 2.5 mufflers and tailpipes if it were mine. Of those two choices I like Borla Pro xs better. I have run them on a supercharger 4.6 mustang and have them on my big block Duster currently.
I would look into a longer case muffler than the typical 14" case length since you have plenty of room.I like quieter better than louder and longer mufflers help in that area. Old man disease rearing its ugly head again.;)

txaggie

Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Being that we got new headers going on, it makes since to put new exhaust on all the way. Kit in bound

Confused

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Going to need a muffler shop to connect the headers to any mid pipes. The kit is still useful if that is the one you want. Not much bending up front so less chance to crimp pipes too much. Nice mandrel bent tailpipes are a plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500