350 Engine upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Not hard...
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-2589-caspers-heated-o2-sensor-retrofit-kit-for-early-1-wire-gm.aspx
If your engine is not too worn out, be prepaired to see a pretty good jump in power, and around 17 or so mpg, depending on driving habits.

Lemme guess, w/o the sensor, the truck runs too lean? My truck is still pretty peppy as is. It has no problem performing a 1-wheel burn-out.

I did find a 3" reducer from flow tech which has the O2 bung welded on.

EDIT: Where does the O2 sensor connect? Is it next to the dizzy? I have found a plug sitting behind the TBI next to the dizzy. It has a pretty short lead, too.

Last edited:

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Another q, what size diameter piping should I use for my stock motor? I imagine 3" piping will be too big.

Thanks!

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
the short lead by the dizzy, is it oil pressure by chance???

And i recamend 2-2.25" for a smallblock.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Lemme guess, w/o the sensor, the truck runs too lean? My truck is still pretty peppy as is. It has no problem performing a 1-wheel burn-out.

I did find a 3" reducer from flow tech which has the O2 bung welded on.

EDIT: Where does the O2 sensor connect? Is it next to the dizzy? I have found a plug sitting behind the TBI next to the dizzy. It has a pretty short lead, too.
The o2 plugs into a round black plug withe the purple wire. The plug is identical to the timing plug that you separate to set the timing. Just have a bung welded in as close to the engine as possible.
Another q, what size diameter piping should I use for my stock motor? I imagine 3" piping will be too big.

Thanks!
3" is fine foor single exhaust. 2" up to 2.25" for duals on a 350.< thats from my personal experience. I dont want to hear any **** about how 2" is supposedly too small(you know who you are)...dual 2", i got 406 ft lbs of torque, and 230 hp from my tuned Port setup, dual cats installed, and Magnaflow straight throughs. Stock TBI from the heads down, save for a comp cam that was a step over stock.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Oh yeah, and I buzzed it passed 5500 rpm quite a few times....kept pullin'!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I like 2 1/4 for duals. There is such thing as to big. I ran 2 1/4's through headers and ran low to mid 12's in a 4200lb truck before. Never trapped the truck with a 427 or 454, but I'll assure you it was faster than with the 350 and the same pipes and mufflers were bolted the BBC headers through the 3in collectors.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I like 2 1/4 for duals. There is such thing as to big. I ran 2 1/4's through headers and ran low to mid 12's in a 4200lb truck before. Never trapped the truck with a 427 or 454, but I'll assure you it was faster than with the 350 and the same pipes and mufflers were bolted the BBC headers through the 3in collectors.

The funnel effect...the reduction speeds up the exhaust velocity, and the travelling pulses help evacuate the manifold quicker. Cylinder sees sort of a vacuum when the exhaust valve opens.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, I did find my O2 sensor. It is hiding underneath the driver-side manifold. Still can't find the oil pressure sensor.

Aside from that, I have settled on a set of Flowtech Afterburner Headers w/ 3" collector, Flowtech 3" to 2.25" reducers with O2 bung and some performance muffler from the muffler shop.

Here's a few pics I took of the engine bay.

Can you find the oil pressure sensor?
You must be registered for see images attach

Hidden O2 Sensor:

Mystery Plug w/ Yellow Wire:

Last edited:

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well shoot. I called a muffler shop which builds custom exhaust systems and they told me they have to install a cat if working in the area a cat should exist. So, I'll get the Hearthrob exhaust kit from JC Whitney. It's 2.5" piping through and through.

I already ordered the O2 harness kit from Caspers. Just need the other stuff, too!

EDIT: Everything ordered! However, the Flowtech Afterburner headers are on back order; so, I ordered regular longtubes by Flowtech. Prolly be a couple weeks before I get to install the gear! Can't wait!

Last edited:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
3" is fine foor single exhaust. 2" up to 2.25" for duals on a 350.< thats from my personal experience. I dont want to hear any **** about how 2" is supposedly too small(you know who you are)...dual 2", i got 406 ft lbs of torque, and 230 hp from my tuned Port setup, dual cats installed, and Magnaflow straight throughs. Stock TBI from the heads down, save for a comp cam that was a step over stock.

Exactly, I have 2" True duals on mine and im always getting **** from kids at school XD. 4" of exhuast will flow more than enough for a smallblock. The onyl reason im gonna run 3" on my monte is cause its only gonna be a couple feet of pipe. Its practiaclly gonna dump from headers.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Exactly, I have 2" True duals on mine and im always getting **** from kids at school XD. 4" of exhuast will flow more than enough for a smallblock. The onyl reason im gonna run 3" on my monte is cause its only gonna be a couple feet of pipe. Its practiaclly gonna dump from headers.

It will flow more, if more is fed to it...like from a ******* 13 liter turboed Cat engine.
LOL...let those kids find out on their own, when they are spanked from a dead start by a c10 with a 250 I6, with single 2" exhaust.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
There is a whole world of tuning via the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, looks like Uncle Sam delivered again, I'll be getting all the TBI goodies from CFM-Tech today or tomorrow.

Supposedly will have my headers and reducers from Jegs tomorrow. I highly doubt all the exhaust gear will be in by this weekend. Even so, it'll be too cold to install it.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, I got 3 of the 4 components needed for the exhaust build. Just waiting for JC Whitney to send me the exhaust kit. I had to re-order the header reducers from JEGS. Their description of the product lead me to ordering a pair too small. I should have the correct size by Tuesday.

I got the 4-wire O2 sensor kit today. One of the wires needs to go to a switched 12-volt supply that can handle 1.5 amps. Could someone recommend a source?

Anyways, I should get to install the gear next weekend as long as JCW sends my kit and another polar vortex doesn't appear again like this weekend.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, I got 3 of the 4 components needed for the exhaust build. Just waiting for JC Whitney to send me the exhaust kit. I had to re-order the header reducers from JEGS. Their description of the product lead me to ordering a pair too small. I should have the correct size by Tuesday.

I got the 4-wire O2 sensor kit today. One of the wires needs to go to a switched 12-volt supply that can handle 1.5 amps. Could someone recommend a source?

Anyways, I should get to install the gear next weekend as long as JCW sends my kit and another polar vortex doesn't appear again like this weekend.

There should be a key activated shunt in your fuse box...just run off of one of those. with a fuse inline, of course.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85