350 Engine upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
906/062's are cast iron. The only Aluminum heads are the GMPP Fastburn heads.

Never said anything about aluminum

So im still trying to understand the point your trying to make
Here cause throwing spec numbers at me just makes me think your good at using Google if making hp was the topic what does this really have to do with it

And if your going to use and aluminum head ya better have an aluminum block to go with it fyi to the people reading this

Last edited:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Im not googling any #'s... I have the 906's, he has the 062's, they are the same head with different #'s.

Im just saying that his $ would be better spent on stock vortecs compared to 1k just for heads. You can usually get vortecs for 250-300 around here. And 150-200 on an intake, were at 400-500$.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Im not googling any #'s... I have the 906's, he has the 062's, they are the same head with different #'s.

Im just saying that his $ would be better spent on stock vortecs compared to 1k just for heads. You can usually get vortecs for 250-300 around here. And 150-200 on an intake, were at 400-500$.
Ya cheap is good too that number was machining and rebuild new from top to bottom and thats with high end valves, rollers, rockers and rods and I always over price depending how high end he wanted to go depends on what his goals are

Last edited:

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Im starting with a 010 high nickel block I bought of a budy for 250 and 250 for the machining when I get the block back then I can start ordering parts once I know how much over ill be the whole bottom end just parts is 1200 then back to the machine shop it go's cause im not doing the cam bearings myself so by the time I get it assembled ill be into it for 2500 then heads witch im still looking for a deal and that will determine what the intake will be and I have the carb and fuel pump since I just redid the fuel system front to back last weekend so total I think ill be into the whole motor for 4500 then another 500 parts for the turbo 400 and im done since the truck has a 2 ton rear thats low geared as hell. as for hp as long as my dumpy old 3&3 takes the 5.7 hemi trucks off the line im more than happy with that

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Yes use the vortec heads and don't consider anything else until you can afford aftermarket heads. Vortecs are perfect for what you're wanting.

Buy a good/used Performer vortec intake for cheap, buy a small cam and lifter set (once you get the correct info on which cam, not necessarily from Comp's salespeople either), and a proper good quadrajet carb , ditch the ecu and it's distributor.

You'll need a good/used HEI distributor and they're cheap too , along with a recurve kit.
Enlist your Uncles help , he probably wants to be onboard anyways ! Don't waste money on headers that aren't full length, you have a ton of room for full length headers.

You can skip the cam for now if it's not in the budget. The carb, intake, heads ,headers with dual exhaust, and re-tuned distributor will make a big difference !!!
You probably need more rear gear before you could use more cam , and/or at least a higher stall convertor.

Take it in steps.

Ask many questions

Tim

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
Never said anything about aluminum

So im still trying to understand the point your trying to make
Here cause throwing spec numbers at me just makes me think your good at using Google if making hp was the topic what does this really have to do with it

And if your going to use and aluminum head ya better have an aluminum block to go with it fyi to the people reading this

Why do you need an aluminum block with aluminum heads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Yes use the vortec heads and don't consider anything else until you can afford aftermarket heads. Vortecs are perfect for what you're wanting.

Buy a good/used Performer vortec intake for cheap, buy a small cam and lifter set (once you get the correct info on which cam, not necessarily from Comp's salespeople either), and a proper good quadrajet carb , ditch the ecu and it's distributor.

You'll need a good/used HEI distributor and they're cheap too , along with a recurve kit.
Enlist your Uncles help , he probably wants to be onboard anyways ! Don't waste money on headers that aren't full length, you have a ton of room for full length headers.

You can skip the cam for now if it's not in the budget. The carb, intake, heads ,headers with dual exhaust, and re-tuned distributor will make a big difference !!!
You probably need more rear gear before you could use more cam , and/or at least a higher stall convertor.

Take it in steps.

Ask many questions

Tim

Thank you tim lol....

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
it will no doubt about it but check your cylinder pressures fisrt before you do all that work to a old block see if its even worth bolting all that stuff on it would be a shame to find out when its to late and possibly damage any new parts

Last edited:

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
What if you have bad valves already? If you have good cylinder pressure then okay but if not could be other probs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
bad rings or irregular Cylinder ware Its an old motor
And dont forget to get the push rods with the vortec heads there different

Last edited:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
bad rings or irregular Cylinder ware Its an old motor
And dont forget to get the push rods with the vortec heads there different

because the vortec pushrods are for roller lifters. I havnt checked yet, but i think you can use the old pushrods with the heads just fine, Ive read of people doing it.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
because the vortec pushrods are for roller lifters. I havnt checked yet, but i think you can use the old pushrods with the heads just fine, Ive read of people doing it.

There self centering push rods for the vortec

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
There self centering push rods for the vortec

Never heard of self centerign pushrods, you would think with balls on both sides setting in cups that they wouldnt need to be centered, cause they arnt goign anywhere.

Now i DO know that vortecs have self aligning ROCKERS.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Never heard of self centerign pushrods, you would think with balls on both sides setting in cups that they wouldnt need to be centered, cause they arnt goign anywhere.

Now i DO know that vortecs have self aligning ROCKERS.
Opps your right 89 3&3 removes foot from mouth I am mistaken thank you

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
[QUO TE=Driver4r;211408]Im not googling any #'s... I have the 906's, he has the 062's, they are the same head with different #'s.

Im just saying that his $ would be better spent on stock vortecs compared to 1k just for heads. You can usually get vortecs for 250-300 around here. And 150-200 on an intake, were at 400-500$.[/QUOTE]
Fyi you may want to look into those 906 of yours from what I read they restict exaust flow and are undesirable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silver84k5