350 Engine ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smross

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've been looking for a 350 to install in my '79 C10 short bed. I found one today but I cannot identify the engine by the numbers found on a flat in the right front corner of the motor. The numbers are:
1MO811 (not sure if the first digit is a 1 or a capital I, same with the 0)
9VP
Can anyone tell me what this engine is or point me in a direction where I can make the determination? I've looked at several sites but I haven't seen numerical sequences like this engine has.
Thanks.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I've been looking for a 350 to install in my '79 C10 short bed. I found one today but I cannot identify the engine by the numbers found on a flat in the right front corner of the motor. The numbers are:
1MO811 (not sure if the first digit is a 1 or a capital I, same with the 0)
9VP
Can anyone tell me what this engine is or point me in a direction where I can make the determination? I've looked at several sites but I haven't seen numerical sequences like this engine has.
Thanks.

What are the casting numbers on the back of the block behind the drivers side head?

http://www.73-87.com/chevy_ids/sbcid2.htm

Smross

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
To be honest, I ignored them. Then I got home and started looking at all the Chevy engine ID sites and I realized how important they are. I'm having the guy who has the engine text the numbers to me.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
click that link in my first post once you get all the numbers and you should be able to find everything you need.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Problem with the numbers by the alternator is they may not mean anything at all and you'll just be more confused. The numbers behind the driver head will be more indicative of what you have.

And at the end of the day all the really matters is if its a 305 or a 350.. No real other difference to make any signifigant amount of worry.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This^^^Where's the timing Mark? Add the two have different locations.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This^^^Where's the timing Mark? Add the two have different locations.

Even that can be confusing. Timing tab on my cover is at the 12 position and I have a dipstick on the driver side.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Oh dang that is confusing... hmm well back to the drawing board.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
actually the one on the front IMO is more helpful when you find it.

The one on the back unless you can clearly see the 5.0 or 5.7 or whatever stamped on there sometimes then the numbers can leave you wondering just like the old 3970010 blocks or whatever the number is... look it up it says like 283-350 or something, kinda hard to know what you have with that one.

Another thing to help even though heads get changed is to pop off a cover and get that number on the heads.

So honestly start in the back get all you can and if you have any other questions get the front suffix and then heads.

Smross

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just received the casting number found by the bell housing: 100066036
What's interesting is what is embossed above the casting number: "Hecho en Mexico", which I assume is, "Made in Mexico". Does that mean that the block was cast in Mexico or that the engine was built there? Is that a reason not to buy the engine?
Thanks in advance.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
most likely a replacement engine from jasper or something being mexico.

I'd say that's an 8 due to this....

10066036 350 86-up 205 Car & Truck 2 & 4-bolt Passenger stick 1-piece seal
10066038 350 2 & 4-Bolt Mexico cast Crate engine

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The GM 350/260hp and 350/290hp crate engines are made in Mexico at a GM plant there.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just received the casting number found by the bell housing: 100066036
What's interesting is what is embossed above the casting number: "Hecho en Mexico", which I assume is, "Made in Mexico". Does that mean that the block was cast in Mexico or that the engine was built there? Is that a reason not to buy the engine?
Thanks in advance.

according to my calculations: http://www.classictruckshop.com/castgm_smblock.php

You have a 1994 model goodwrench crate motor built in Mexico.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Or a Target Master. It will definitely have a 2 piece rear main seal, but as to whether it is a 2 or 4 bolt main engine is anybody's guess. They were sold with both crankshaft main bearing configurations (but "most" were 4 bolt - according to conventional wisdom ).

One clue on the 2/4 bolt main issue - I have had good luck using this method to identify a 4 bolt:

I'm 6 for 5 using the following as a 4 bolt indicator. I forget where I heard it but it seems to have legs:

"On the front of the block - right behind water pump on pass side. Look and see if you can see a tiny 1/4 pipe plug. If you see one its a 4 bolt. If not its a 2."

You must be registered for see images attach

And, I say that I'm 6 for 5 because the most recent 350 I bought did not have the plug as mentioned above and was sold to me as a 2 bolt.

But, when I turned it over and lifted the pan I was looking at a factory 4 bolt (i.e not splayed).

So it seems that if you have that little pipe plug, it is definitely a 4 bolt. But, even if there is no pipe plug, don't give up - it can still be a 4-bolt.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Or a Target Master. It will definitely have a 2 piece rear main seal, but as to whether it is a 2 or 4 bolt main engine is anybody's guess (they were sold in both configurations).

One clue on the 2/4 bolt main issue - I have had good luck using this method to identify a 4 bolt:

I'm 6 for 5 using the following as a 4 bolt indicator. I forget where I heard it but it seems to have legs:

"On the front of the block - right behind water pump on pass side. Look and see if you can see a tiny 1/4 pipe plug. If you see one its a 4 bolt. If not its a 2."

You must be registered for see images attach

And, I say that I'm 6 for 5 because the most recent 350 I bought did not have the plug as mentioned above and was sold to me as a 2 bolt.

But, when I turned it over and lifted the pan I was looking at a factory 4 bolt (i.e not splayed).

So it seems that if you have that little pipe plug, it is definitely a 4 bolt. But, even if there is no pipe plug, don't give up - it can still be a 4-bolt.

Yep my 4 bolt has that plug!

When did they stop making Target Masters? Did the Target masters still come in 2 piece after 86?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner