Brake System ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
So I did some searching and reading, what a headache, but MAYBE I've got it? I'd like someone familiar with these to confirm.

1984 C10 6.2 diesel, J55 RPO code, GVW labeled as 6100lbs, Has Hydroboost. I'm thinking it's a JD5?

Knowing that doesn't answer all my questions, but I think I got most of it figured. Have a low speed bump/clunk in the right front somewhere. Jacked it up today to wiggle stuff around.... wow, those wheel bearings are toast. lol New-to-me truck, so I'm slowly picking away at it.

Was looking at replacement brake parts, and that's where the confusion started. The parts warehouses like to label rotors as either 4.65 or 4.95 overall height. I assume I'd have the thicker rotors. Calipers vary, some reference the rear shoe width (no idea, haven't gotten there yet) and others reference the JB/JD codes. I understand the pads are all the same, so that's handy.

Wheel bearings? Looks like with a JD5 I should have an A5/A3 set?

How are the calipers on these trucks? I'm used to the GMT800s, where it was 50/50 you'd have a caliper start to drag if you didn't replace it while doing pads/rotors. If I can get away with it, I might just stab in new bearings and races, scuff the rotors, slap new pads on it, and do a quick bleed.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well.... we'll see what I find later, when I take it apart. Nabbed some A5/A3 bearings and seals and some new pads. Hopefully everything goes right and I can knock it out after work one night this week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag