3 on the tree, stuck in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My dad's 66 C10 got stuck in reverse today. He said for the last year it has needed a little tug to get it out of reverse, but now it won't come out at all. The shifter and linkage still move freely so we are guessing it's the tranny. Is it maybe possible the linkage is just worn and let the tranny get in a bind? Any way to fix it without pulling the tranny? I'm not even sure what gearbox it is, but I'd assume it's the same as what was found in the 3 on the tree square bodies.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
If it comes out with the engine off, then it's likely in the tranny, if not, I'd be looking at the linkage.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it's that old non synchro 3 speed, it's the trans. It has this wierd cylinder that the shift fork slides over. It has needle bearings in it. When the those needle bearings start falling out, which his likely has, then it gets tough to move as this cylinder is binding. When most or all the bearings are gone, then it goes into reverse, the cylinder takes a dive, binds up and pretty much stuck there until you pull the side cover off and bring it back manually, but even then, next time into reverse it'll do the same thing so yeah, take the trans out. Should be a cheap rebuild cuz there isn't much to the trans at all.

Other thing to check is the linkage of course. Make sure the 2nd and 3rd shift arm are in the N position and not in the 2 or 3 position. If so, he can likely jump under the truck, pull that one to the center by hand, then he sould be able to get out of reverse. What I'm saying is, he might be in R and 2nd at the same time causing a bind.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And why does he want that old piece of **** anyway??? Where does he live??? How about I do him a big favor and just take that 66 from him??? :shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it comes out with the engine off, then it's likely in the tranny, if not, I'd be looking at the linkage.

Nope, won't come out anytime. We tried everything and he ended up driving home in reverse.

If it's that old non synchro 3 speed, it's the trans. It has this wierd cylinder that the shift fork slides over. It has needle bearings in it. When the those needle bearings start falling out, which his likely has, then it gets tough to move as this cylinder is binding. When most or all the bearings are gone, then it goes into reverse, the cylinder takes a dive, binds up and pretty much stuck there until you pull the side cover off and bring it back manually, but even then, next time into reverse it'll do the same thing so yeah, take the trans out. Should be a cheap rebuild cuz there isn't much to the trans at all.

Other thing to check is the linkage of course. Make sure the 2nd and 3rd shift arm are in the N position and not in the 2 or 3 position. If so, he can likely jump under the truck, pull that one to the center by hand, then he sould be able to get out of reverse. What I'm saying is, he might be in R and 2nd at the same time causing a bind.

Yes, it's the non-syncro. If by chance the shift arm is out of place, would that be from a sloppy worn linkage? It doesn't feel very sloppy when you drive it.

And why does he want that old piece of **** anyway??? Where does he live??? How about I do him a big favor and just take that 66 from him??? :shrug:

Haha, you would never be able to get that truck from him :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You'd know if the shift linkage is sloppy by driving it. I have a feeling, it's those needle bearings fell out. If it is indeed the trans I'm talking about, the main box itself, and I do mean box cuz it's just about square is about the size of a squared off basket ball, then had a tailshaft bolted to it. There is 2 tailshaft sizes, a real short one, then a long one. I had the real short one out of a 65. Seemed the whole trans was about 18 inches long + input shaft and about 40 lbs. The longer shaft was double the length making it about 24 inches long. They are small and light considering they are a transmission. I'll see if I can find some info on one of those.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
3 on the tree square? never seen one

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
3 on the tree square? never seen one

His isn't a 3 on the tree square, but yes, I've seen a few. Usually Inline 250 6 cyl motors. Rare, but they certainly exist. Now they aren't as rare as the 4 speed I recently learned about that came in squares. The one with 3 speeds and an OD, no granny gear.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
His isn't a 3 on the tree square, but yes, I've seen a few. Usually Inline 250 6 cyl motors. Rare, but they certainly exist. Now they aren't as rare as the 4 speed I recently learned about that came in squares. The one with 3 speeds and an OD, no granny gear.

Really? That's interesting.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've seen several 3 on the tree squares, one of them was even an 80's model. Never personally seen the 4 speed with OD, just on the internet.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've seen several 3 on the tree squares, one of them was even an 80's model. Never personally seen the 4 speed with OD, just on the internet.

They were all Inline 6's huh??? Even in the 60's all I have seen is I6 in front of a 3 speed manual. The 283's got SM435 (IIRC) Granny 4 speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31