3 on the tree problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DH Stepside

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did a quick search and couldn't find anything although I'm betting it's on here somewhere. Anyway, just bought a 74 C10 6cyl, 3 speed. I'm having the common issues of not being able to shift it. I replaced one bushing and the linkage seems somewhat tight. I think it's in the column itself. Sometimes I can't get it into any gear. If I get it into reverse, when I come out of reverse it goes nowhere. Then my best chance of finding a gear is 3rd. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You might try disconnecting the linkage at the transmission and with the rear safely off the ground, see if you can get it in gear. This will narrow down where the issue is.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There is a very simple adjustment procedure at the base of the column to remove all the slop in the levers, which is usually where the problem is. There is a collar at the base of the column that you loosen a couple bolts and then rotate the collar, then tighten the bolts back up. As you rotate the collar, you will see the gap go away between the two levers and the selector.

DH Stepside

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm still working on this. This steering column is driving me nuts. The linkage bushings are good. I've rotated the collar to tighten up the play between the levers, I put everything in neutral and put a pin through the holes in the lever to line it up and then adjusted the levers at the trans. It doesn't want to make the change from the R-1 gate to the 2-3 gate. Any ideas??

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm still working on this. This steering column is driving me nuts. The linkage bushings are good. I've rotated the collar to tighten up the play between the levers, I put everything in neutral and put a pin through the holes in the lever to line it up and then adjusted the levers at the trans. It doesn't want to make the change from the R-1 gate to the 2-3 gate. Any ideas??

Can you move the shifter in that direction? If not, could you before? And if that's the case, is it possible that you adjusted the collar too far?

DH Stepside

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Can you move the shifter in that direction? If not, could you before? And if that's the case, is it possible that you adjusted the collar too far?
I adjusted it because of this problem. According to the shop manual there should be a .005" gap between the lever and the collar separating the 2 levers. With it adjusted all the way, I still have .025". That's the tightest I can get it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I adjusted it because of this problem. According to the shop manual there should be a .005" gap between the lever and the collar separating the 2 levers. With it adjusted all the way, I still have .025". That's the tightest I can get it.

You'll have to forgive me because I don't have one right here in front of me, so I'm not sure which gap you are referring to. But, there has to be enough clearance between both shift levers that the selector can grab just one lever at a time.

Usually, there's too much clearance worn in and the selector is able to fit past both levers at the same time, which causes a bound up linkage and being stuck in one gear. The fix is rotating the collar to take up some of that worn-in clearance. If you go too far, there won't be enough clearance and it will bind.

But if you do have enough clearance and can't select between R-1 and 2-3, something else is wrong. Possibly internal binding of the column, which is why I asked if you could even pull the shifter towards you and push it away from you.

DH Stepside

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You'll have to forgive me because I don't have one right here in front of me, so I'm not sure which gap you are referring to. But, there has to be enough clearance between both shift levers that the selector can grab just one lever at a time.

Usually, there's too much clearance worn in and the selector is able to fit past both levers at the same time, which causes a bound up linkage and being stuck in one gear. The fix is rotating the collar to take up some of that worn-in clearance. If you go too far, there won't be enough clearance and it will bind.

But if you do have enough clearance and can't select between R-1 and 2-3, something else is wrong. Possibly internal binding of the column, which is why I asked if you could even pull the shifter towards you and push it away from you.
Thanks for your input. Upon more investigation, I believe it is internal binding. The clearance between the shift levers is more than what the shop manual says it should be, but I don't think it's enough to cause a big problem. And I'm adjusted as far as I can. I'm going to have to start taking it apart.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks for your input. Upon more investigation, I believe it is internal binding. The clearance between the shift levers is more than what the shop manual says it should be, but I don't think it's enough to cause a big problem. And I'm adjusted as far as I can. I'm going to have to start taking it apart.

Please post pictures if you can. I've never torn down a 3 spd column before and would be very interested to see what you may find wrong.

Rick76

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I also ran out of adjustment on mine before tightening anywhere close to .005. Not having problems yet though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507