2009 Civic Coupe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Takin a break, i'll skip the 1-3 sun, it's gettin hot on the neck..I lack a little bit of finishing up is all.

This is what's involved, a handful of 10mm bolts, some pliers and a 17mm to swap a sensor. One-handed - 1/4 inch ratchet and a 3 inch extension...really pretty boring.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Its supposed to be 115 degrees here in Oregon on Sunday and my civic commuter is having AC issues. Previous highest temp ever recorded in Salem was 108. I'm hoping the weatherman is wrong on this one. I'm pretty sure the expansion valve has gone toes up. Ordered a new expansion valve and Evaporator since I'll have to remove the evaporator anyways to replace the expansion valve. They only had one left in the entire area and the evaporator had to get shipped down from Tacoma, apparently it's going to start getting hard to find parts for this thing. I'm going to swap them out tonight and charge up the system and hopefully it will be back to ice cold.

My wife also bought me a split heatpump ductless AC system for the shop for fathers day that just showed up on my doorstep this morning. Hopefully I can get that installed in the shop this afternoon too.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Its supposed to be 115 degrees here in Oregon on Sunday and my civic commuter is having AC issues. Previous highest temp ever recorded in Salem was 108. I'm hoping the weatherman is wrong on this one. I'm pretty sure the expansion valve has gone toes up. Ordered a new expansion valve and Evaporator since I'll have to remove the evaporator anyways to replace the expansion valve. They only had one left in the entire area and the evaporator had to get shipped down from Tacoma, apparently it's going to start getting hard to find parts for this thing. I'm going to swap them out tonight and charge up the system and hopefully it will be back to ice cold.

My wife also bought me a split heatpump ductless AC system for the shop for fathers day that just showed up on my doorstep this morning. Hopefully I can get that installed in the shop this afternoon too.

I'm the same boat you are in WA. 100 Sat, 110 Sun, 109 Monday. I'm a little concerned because nothing here is built for that kind of heat. We have window A/C units at home, but not sure how well they will keep up in those temps. Monday I have to be at the shop. No A/C there of any kind. Planning to work the guys in the morning and shut it down for the afternoon, we are not at all use to anything much over 80F here let alone 110F

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm the same boat you are in WA. 100 Sat, 110 Sun, 109 Monday. I'm a little concerned because nothing here is built for that kind of heat. We have window A/C units at home, but not sure how well they will keep up in those temps. Monday I have to be at the shop. No A/C there of any kind. Planning to work the guys in the morning and shut it down for the afternoon, we are not at all use to anything much over 80F here let alone 110F

Yep, expect every AC unit in the state to sell out any minute now. Thankfully we placed the order for the split unit before the forecast started to go crazy. I can say with absolute certainty that working in a shop in 110 plus is absolute misery. In Afghanistan, we had these big metal shelters that had no AC. The military bought a ton of those huge rolling swamp coolers, which work pretty well for smaller areas and 90-100 degree heat. We ran three of them in the big shop area and they just couldn't even keep up at 100+ degrees and the square footage that we had. It just made it 95 degrees and 100% humidity instead, which is probably what you guys will have up there inside a shop. I'll take 110 and bone dry over 95 degrees and 100% humidity any day.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Boy whatta day!
I believe it got to 95°.

I got a crazy story for yous.

Yesterday I left for Oreilly's to buy radiators.
Got no more time to wait on pinché Champion Radiators and i'm refilling the Honda with water - every time I get in it - how long can THAT last?

I guess both of the radiators came from EBAY and were good for about 8 or 9 bucks a month - $60-$65 each. Sad face.:(
After I found the Homeboy let him sell the warranties with free plastic radiators.

Got the Honda put back together but something isn't right...
I can't mount the hood latch because the radiator looks crooked?
This poor little car is SO DAMNED CROOKED behind the bumper cover that it REALLY IS POSSIBLE to put it together more than one way. There's that much wiggle room..pretty sick.

Anyways! I put it all together wrong and took it back apart before I figured it out.

Cleaned up - went inside and the phone rang.
Prolly work, no time to shower aint that a bitch? I figured - but it wasn't.

It was Champion Radiator.

Wtf?

Dude says "hay man it's Dave and your radiator from this call back list at Champion Radiator is now in stock and available for purchase - we wanted to call to let you know... This is your call back.

I said . . . "Dave's not here."

He says "no, I AM Dave. I'm calling you from Champion Radiator."
I said "Dave's not here."

Oh Nevermind!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Crazy story - small world. I almost bought ANOTHER $140 plastic radiator. Wait. **** I did.

Grr. :mad:

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
That song was Awesome! Sorry bout your radiator man.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Havok is a great band - check em outt!

I was supposed to go pick up the Blazer radiator last night. Started mowing the grass and blew it off - took the Honda apart anyways because I like to turn wrenches under pressure.

Went to install - opened the box and it's the wrong damned radiator. I can see line fittings...didnt dcen taje it out of the box - called it a night and woke up at 8:30 this morning, called Homeboy to bitch.

Turns out I brought the Blazer radiator home - I was supossed to go get the Honda part! By a miracle stroke of luck , my ******* did NOT buy a $140 plastic blazer part - I only bought the bushings. Ima take that plastic mother back TOMORROW and buy me some Champion goodness. Heads up Bonnie!

Crazy story. Inside of a 12 hour window all that happened. I spent almost the same money on the two vehicles. Look. Pictures!

Honda on the left Blazer on the right

I didn't even take it out the box.
Ungh!

Now I can spend much more on a shiny part. :(
What a relief - almost got to fix the truck for cheap. :mad:

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yep, expect every AC unit in the state to sell out any minute now. Thankfully we placed the order for the split unit before the forecast started to go crazy. I can say with absolute certainty that working in a shop in 110 plus is absolute misery. In Afghanistan, we had these big metal shelters that had no AC. The military bought a ton of those huge rolling swamp coolers, which work pretty well for smaller areas and 90-100 degree heat. We ran three of them in the big shop area and they just couldn't even keep up at 100+ degrees and the square footage that we had. It just made it 95 degrees and 100% humidity instead, which is probably what you guys will have up there inside a shop. I'll take 110 and bone dry over 95 degrees and 100% humidity any day.

We have window A/C units at home, they keep up fine in 80F weather and even into the low 90F beyond that we'll well see, but I know it'll be better than outside!. We have a big swap cooler at the shop to. It was a couple grand a few years ago, and is about 12 feet tall, and about two feet narrower than the bay door. It's really helpful, but the place simply does not have enough ventilation. One bay door to drive in, one man door into the office at the other end. The problem is about 3 hours into running the thing it will get so humid that water will condense on the floors, cars, and lifts. That's also about when it becomes ineffective at cooling. Flip it the other way in the door to blow the humidity out and about 45 minutes later we can start cooling the shop again, but it's not nearly as effective after that. Yes it's great it helps, but it's no match for a 90F day let alone 110F. I think it would work a lot better if we had roof vents to let the hot air out and some of the humidity. Not having an uninsulated black tar roof would help to, but the building owner has no interest in improvements like that! The office does have a 12K wall mount 220V A/C unit that I installed a few years ago, so at least the techs can come in and get a break from the heat in there.

Havok is a great band - check em outt!

I like to turn wrenches under pressure.

you aught to become a tech. Plenty of pressure there, from the customers, bosses ect. The shop I'm at we pay the guys hourly, but if you like pressure go to a flat rate shop that way you'll have the pressure of youd paycheck hanging in the balance if you don't produce enough work. That way you can get your "turning wrenches under pressure" fix every day! :):):)

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Haha im giddy.

Robyn I quit doin that a long time ago.. 1993-2005? I manufacture the pressure for fun now.

Does that make sense? Honda is the daily...cant be down?

Im reminded of changing oil in a pit..you'd think that would be miserable and nobody wants to do that job but I miss the crap out of it sometimes.- I run the patrol cars through the same Valvoline I worked a year and a half in the pit at. Here's the best part...."back in my day", we had to put GREASE in the suspension..we dropped transmission pans like it was goin out of style -and we LIKED IT.

I didn't realize it actually was,(goin out of style) it all happened so fast. I had a great time whippin out 45 cars a day in a triple pit . In highschool lol. Sweatin like that - bouncin on and off them walkways man , prolly get maimed or otherwise gimped up today lmao.
I was a full service mechanic all through my 20s. I fixed cars when they were still cool. Required deduction and you had to THINK about it and It was fun.. It WAS challenging. Good cars and Good times!
Now the coworkers and cars are all junk.
Puff puff pass.
I quit flaggin hours partly because I couldn't stand working in squalor like most mechanics do.
Dude says :
"It don't pay to sweep the floor."
**** off.
That guy is a Loser! :rolleyes:
Its NOT the mark of good co-workers and I applied to places wanting an hourly wage so I could stay busy.
It's a great example now i'm thinkin about it ... I was losing interest about the time grease zerks disappeared from trucks. Ford Tough means your ball joints squeak?

**** that **** im done.
YOU FIX IT. Customer. You bought a piece of ****. Look I know how but It's not my destiny.
Im over it.
:Caffeine:

Lol:(

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Haha im giddy.

Robyn I quit doin that a long time ago.. 1993-2005? I manufacture the pressure for fun now.

Does that make sense? Honda is the daily...cant be down?

Im reminded of changing oil in a pit..you'd think that would be miserable and nobody wants to do that job but I miss the crap out of it sometimes.- I run the patrol cars through the same Valvoline I worked a year and a half in the pit at. Here's the best part...."back in my day", we had to put GREASE in the suspension..we dropped transmission pans like it was goin out of style -and we LIKED IT.

I didn't realize it actually was,(goin out of style) it all happened so fast. I had a great time whippin out 45 cars a day in a triple pit . In highschool lol. Sweatin like that - bouncin on and off them walkways man , prolly get maimed or otherwise gimped up today lmao.
I was a full service mechanic all through my 20s. I fixed cars when they were still cool. Required deduction and you had to THINK about it and It was fun.. It WAS challenging. Good cars and Good times!
Now the coworkers and cars are all junk.
Puff puff pass.
I quit flaggin hours partly because I couldn't stand working in squalor like most mechanics do.
Dude says :
"It don't pay to sweep the floor."
**** off.
That guy is a Loser! :rolleyes:
Its NOT the mark of good co-workers and I applied to places wanting an hourly wage so I could stay busy.
It's a great example now i'm thinkin about it ... I was losing interest about the time grease zerks disappeared from trucks. Ford Tough means your ball joints squeak?

**** that **** im done.
YOU FIX IT. Customer. You bought a piece of ****. Look I know how but It's not my destiny.
Im over it.
:Caffeine:

Lol:(

You mentioned getting out of it around 2005 once before to me I guess I forgot. I completely agree with what you are saying about the industry, and how it has gone down hill rest assured it has only gotten worse.

The shop I manage now we are all hourly. Myself the manager, is included in that. That and I actually only turn a wrench for the classic cars, to help one of the guys, or when we are slammed. It's actually pretty great in the respect that there are techs there and a sales guy I can LEAVE and the place still runs for the most part. The biggest problem we have is finding knowledgeable guys to work, as the smart guys won't get into it any more and most of the smart guys have gotten out.

I should get out and I'm getting closer. Farm won't do it by itself. Previously mentioned part time job answering automotive questions for JA, while paying good will not have enough hours to be even close to a full time job income until who knows when. The two together might be enough, probably would be enough, but it's a hard leap for me at least to go from known hours, known pay I get at the shop. To making a living off the farm, which really only turns a profit in the spring, summer and first month or so of fall. And contract work for JA. For now I'm just doing less hours at the shop and working the other jobs too.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Finally found a hunnert bucks to buy new headlights with. $112 is precise...hard pressed to spend that much money, was making by with the horrible, bug eyed, halo ringed, LED ******** P.O.S. the P.O. bought...but one of them was on the fritz finally.

Shoop! Out you go!
Oh damn it IS sexy now...
I fixed it.
:(

Not long after the steels got installed I was thinking about the old school hondas that had trim rings and carburetors?
14 inchers?
4 lug wheels?
:blah:
Keepin it real!
Mmmhmmmm.

Voila! That. kicks ass.

1.5" stainless rings really make her POP!
:party33:

Looks cool AF for a Honda, i'm very pleased with this outcome.
The de-murder kickass is complete! :D

*edit*
I still got mudflaps
:nono:

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

Decided if I added mudflaps they would take away from this clean-assed look that LaFawnduh gots goin on...cain't do it to her..:nono: sorry not sorry. She gets a TON of looks.

BUT!

Luckily I only worked seven . twelve hour. shifts last week and today (on my day off) the labor gawds have allowed me enough time to

Take out the new lifetime warranty radiator you watched me install last year JUST IN TIME to put in another one before goin back to work :rolleyes:

This time... - ima pull the same radiator fixin tricks on the Blazer unit. Since D Last radiator was right out D box into D car, ima prep on this one a little bit with the rounded nut VISEGRIPS!

It really is all held together with the headlights. :nono:

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's your next modification. It was the rage in Oakland in the early 90's.

"Woo Woo." - Bubb Rubb

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Nope sry bud, no mods. I think it's all done now. Not even the painted SI spoiler :Nonono:
No coool mudflaps no nothin?
Needs new tint though besides that it looks awesome!
I took the back plastic off the seatback the other day and that fixed it some more...
It's WAY more comfortable now - wish I would have done that - a year ago. :( threw that **** away too.
:wave:
The more time passes the less the Honda weighs. That's a fact.

The original sales receipt - dated last NOVEMBER. That's some lifetime warranty huh?
My same OG buddy that sold it to me returned it too!
Can you believe it? Yeah , that was just November.
Fml :D

:nono:

Snapped together - could have done it first thing. :(
Shoulder feels better now. :waytogo:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes