1990 TBI 350 Warmup Idle Speed ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bright Idea

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 2500 Suburbans
Engine Size
1990 350 TBI in V2500 Suburban. Recently it stopped the high idle on startup. This took place from one evening to the following morning. Makes me believe that this is a component failure ? It will start with just a touch of foot on the pedal and hold adequate idle until it warms up. Once warm it idles at what I would consider normal warm idle speed. It drives fine. No stall or hesitation and smooth thru the rpm range. I realize there can be numerous components involved in this. I have to believe this is a single component failure ? Is there a component involved in the signal to idle high when cold ? This is the only issue as far as I can tell. Hoping to hear from those of you with more experience with this system that I have. Thanks

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
not sure, but it is likely a component used to set open loop parameters. perhaps the CTS? you can check voltage with key on, but not started and convert voltage to temp and it should be close to the ambient air temp. high idle on start up seems more aggressive to me when it is colder....

Bright Idea

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 2500 Suburbans
Engine Size
Thanks, I actually changed out the CTS asI had a problem previously involving it. I would agree that the colder the weather the higher the idle seemed to be. I will check the voltage of the CTS. This situation happened overnight, so it is my belief that it is a particular component, possibly a ground issue ?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Likely a failed idle air control valve. It could be a problem with the wiring on that circuit, but since it literally happened overnight, the valve itself would be suspect #1.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, or simply a clogged passage for the IAC. A chunk of carbon buildup could have dislodged and blocked the port.

Bright Idea

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 2500 Suburbans
Engine Size
Thanks, I will go after the IAC. This did happen after I changed out a failed kick down relay. I had taken it out on the highway and put it thru the paces a couple of times checking out the kick down function. Maybe I blew the carbon loose in the IAC ?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks, I will go after the IAC. This did happen after I changed out a failed kick down relay. I had taken it out on the highway and put it thru the paces a couple of times checking out the kick down function. Maybe I blew the carbon loose in the IAC ?
Or EGR

Bright Idea

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 2500 Suburbans
Engine Size
I did replace EGR in recent past. No Check engine light and no codes. Would make sense that it is mechanical rather than electrical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704