350 TBI high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Just went for a drive and it warmed up and switched to closed loop. With the IAC unplugged it idles like it should. Once it was warmed up it would idle at 1000 rpm in drive completely stopped. When I shifted it into park, it started idling at 1450 rpm and slowly went back down
idle will always jump when you return to park bc the load comes off the engine. it could jump to maybe as high as 950-1000rpm. but should settle down fairly quickly and likely be in the 750rpm range fully warmed on a stock computer chip. in gear idle will be in the 525rpm range, also stock chip. IAC should be 5-30 in gear stock chip. and in park should be close to that IAC range also. all those are for fully warmed up and ac off.

does TPS return to "idle" voltage quickly or does it hang? could be a linkage issue if it returns to idle rpm slowly after revving?

your IAC counts didn't go to 0, did they, with 1000rpm in gear warmed up? bc it really sounds like some sort of vacuum leak...

edit - those coolant temps are too low. you should have a 195deg thermostat in there. cold coolant temps will mean more fuel and a higher idle....I'd be looking at the temp sensor itself or the thermostat to make sure it isn't stuck open.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Turn the idle screw out a little.

Fleetwood

Reaction score
First Name
I
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
idle will always jump when you return to park bc the load comes off the engine. it could jump to maybe as hogjbas 950-1000rpm. but should settle down fairly quickly and likely be in the 750rpm range fully warmed on a stock computer chip. in gear idle will be in the 525rpm range, also stock chip. IAC should be 5-30 in gear stock chip. and in park should be close to that IAC range also. all those are for fully warmed up and ac off.

does TPS return to "idle" voltage quickly or does it hang? could be a linkage issue if it returns to idle rpm slowly after revving?

your IAC counts didn't go to 0, did they, with 1000rpm in gear warmed up? bc it really sounds like some sort of vacuum leak...
No IAC has always been really high. You can see on the pictures I posted how high it is. Its at least above 60 all the time.
TPS is good.

Fleetwood

Reaction score
First Name
I
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's not necessarily hurting things, but it isn't helping the OP either....

@Fleetwood I assume if you plug off the IAC passage the idle will come down?

If that is the case then it's on the computer side. If the idle is still high with the IAC port plugged, then it's a mechanical issue such as a vacuum leak or miss adjusted throttle stop, stuck EGR ect.

If it's on the computer side pull the IAC valve out clean the seat out in the throttle body and install a new IAC valve.

Make sure the timing is set correctly.

Also don't forget that these engines learn their idle. You need to warm the engine up and cruse at about 40 - 45mph steady for a bit. I think you need something like 5 seconds.

Looking at your read out I'd be looking at that open loop and low coolant temp. If it won't fully warm up, it'll never properly learn the idle. So then a thermostat maybe in order or possibly a temp sensor.

Hopefully some of this is helpful.
I havent had it up to 40 yet so would going faster for a bit help?

AceHanlon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Sell it. TBI trucks are junk. I sold my 94 it drove me crazy. Get a older truck with a carb on it.
Do you ever get tired of disparaging TBI's that are, in fact, not that bad of a system. You seem to forget how old these TBI's are. They are not that hard to work on.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Do you ever get tired of disparaging TBI's that are, in fact, not that bad of a system. You seem to forget how old these TBI's are. They are not that hard to work on.
No not at all after all the trouble I had with mine that's a hard no!

Fleetwood

Reaction score
First Name
I
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The last high idling drive was the first time it had started since having the battery unplugged for a few hours. I started it a couple times and took it for a cruise at speed. I guess the computer has learned the idle now because it runs better than it ever has.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
The last high idling drive was the first time it had started since having the battery unplugged for a few hours. I started it a couple times and took it for a cruise at speed. I guess the computer has learned the idle now because it runs better than it ever has.
yes, it will eventually learn the iac position. the quick way to do it is to force it closed by jumping A and B on the ALDL with key on. then it knows what fully closed is and where 0 is. if you messed with the idle stop screw, just make sure your IAC counts are in the 5-30ish range warm and at idle (lower end of the range preferred) and that the TPS voltage is still under 0.75 or so at rest (closer to 0.5 the better, just not over 0.9v).

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@gmbellew I Have some of the same issues , High Idle will kick dows some when i give a good rev in park, In the moarning with block heater on all night starts up with the correct idle drive to work 10 miles park high idle?? I recently replaced the intake manifold gasket, Removed the IAC and blasted it with carb cleaner!!!
Re set the IAC and worked idle speed down test drive back to the old high idle?

Last edited:

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Figured it out the Cruse control linkage was the culprit!
Checked idle screw and was not touching throttle plate
A quick adjustment and all good now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod