1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My daily driver is a 2015 Dodge Charger with the v6 and awd. Honestly after you’ve driven the 5.7 the v6 will be a let down. It’s fast enough to get you into trouble for sure but it’s not 5.7 fast. And no it won’t break all 4 loose unless your beating the hell out of it coming around a corner way to fast on wet pavement. Having said that I love my car. I feel like the chargers and the challengers are the only new cars out with a “personality” they aren’t just the same boring looking car as everyone else makes. And with the awd I’ve gone through snow that was literally plowing up over the hood and it just kept chugging along.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks @1985c20 . Got any pix to share of your sweet ride? That 350 Hemi was much more than I had any desire for. Sure it was fast AF but I found it more annoying than anything.
I agree with you about the "personality" kind of. I have looked at other cars and think they effing blow chunks. Except that Challenger felt , sat, and looked like a real CAR. I think it's cool as can be but had just got out of an IROC.

I found the Challenger's brakes to be - FOGGY - at best. Seriously lacking IMO. AND I think the steering is HELLA VAGUE at low speeds. A "slower" car would likely be better suited to make up for it's deficiencies.
I get it's NOT an IROC and I have a more profound appreciation for my Camaro, post Challenger. Cuz f*ck. It's THIRTY YEARS OLD and will out turn, out stop, ride and look better than a BRAND NEW RT?! Srsly?

I know that sounds stupid but it's true in my experience. **** man, my IROC gets better gas mileage.
I remain confused in that regard and see the Z differently today. It is truly an epic car and American icon..legendary indeed.

That video is pretty funny.

Renting that car was a very eye-opening experience that I am still mulling over.

Getting back behind the wheel of my Blazer? Oh GAWD DAMN it's SLOW but it feels like home and I love it.

There's no wonder why I drive this thing, I don't pick a new car over my 30 year old ones, they just aren't for me.
:shrug:

Last edited:

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
What did you have the steering set to? They have electric power steering so you can adjust it from normal to comfort or sport. I've never driven a "performance" car to compare it to but I don't really notice vague steering or foggy brakes. Coming from my last car a pos Audi a4 this car was a dream haha. I will agree that there is almost a disconnect on the new cars compared to old one. For example hitting 90-100 mph with my car doesn't feel any different then driving 55. They make them so nice to drive its dangerous. My brother had a 2016 challenger with the v6. It was alittle faster then my car but not by a whole lot. I could usually take him in a race since I have the awd and no wheel spin. From a roll unless he was sleeping he usually ended up half a car length in front of me.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Man , I contemplated which descriptive words would be best suited for my experience and that's what I came up with.
I spent 500 miles in a Challenger RT for two weeks and it cost me SIX tanks of gas.

Both the steering and brakes make ME feel uncertain and lacking confidence.

It's a great cruiser.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Man , I contemplated which descriptive words would be best suited for my experience and that's what I came up with.
I spent 500 miles in a Challenger RT for two weeks and it cost me SIX tanks of gas.

Both the steering and brakes make ME feel uncertain and lacking confidence.

It's a great cruiser.
How would you say the visibility out of it was?
The last time I was in a charger(different car but same platform) all I could think of was I can see out the windshield but anything else is terrible.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The huge by mongous rear quarter pillar didn't faze me at all. I get why folks make mention of it but damn, who looks back there when you have power side mirrors? Again, I was driving a Camaro and given THAT, it's about equal.
It didn't bother me enough to notice - I don't drive like that. Who gives a **** what is happening in the rear view?

Matter of fact, the ONLY reason I paid any attention at all is because I knew people gripe about it but I could not care less....I look out of the front window when I'm driving. :shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A lot of people don't find trust in side view mirrors.

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
500 miles was 6 tanks of gas?! I get almost 400 miles to the tank in the charger and even my brother driving like he stole it used to get 300-350 miles per tank in his challenger. You were really pushing that thing haha.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ahhhhhh! It spent most of it's time idling to run the AC while I was working...I didn't DRIVE all that gas away fortunately.

The AC works great!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Wow. ^^^ sleepin sinceJuly 10. :893karatesmiley-thu
Must. Be nice..

I whupped out Helen Camaro a couple of weeks ago to finally fix the broken brake LINE after avoiding it ALLLLL summer.

I had it finished inside of one hour?
Wtf!
I was skeered to deth of that brake setup because i've fixed one before...lol. Look the last time I touched it , it BROKE.
I think the 88? rearend (87-88?) was kind of a mid-production , bastard Borg-Warner - made in AUSTRALIA part only 30 years ago...that was succeeded by a superior, updated BW 9 bolt, but either of them are superior to the early GM10bolt. The brakes specifically, changed for the better for 1989-1992...something like that. Maybe? but I digress. It's a possible future upgrade in mind.

As i'm finishing the repair today, I took one look at the FORWARD FACING bleeder - without a dust cap on it, in like, forever ? - and it made me bust out the heavy.freaking.artillery. from my tool box. No questions asked - cuzz you don't want no trouble. :mad:
I had it figured at around FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS (US) that I was using worth of the highest quality tools known to man AND THEN the bleeder rounded inside of my almost thirty dollar, six point, ten millimeter, quarter inch swivel, favorite money making socket in the box. -The Producer.
:eek:
f.m.l. no plan for that...

Few options. That one new caliper is a freaking Ben $$. Because I don't have the right pair of Vise-Grips? Huh. **** that! How much are the bleeders lol? A stupid size or ? Y I has only haz Visegrips too big or too little @Goldilocks? May be a good thing!
Anyways , later I got a proper sized set and parked the Z out today to "fix it or break it".
Again.
*huuuuuuhhh*
That is a remarkable occasion as you know , which luckily doesn't happen too often.

I love that chance in truth..

Break it OR fix it.

Lol. :( Fave stuff!

50/50.
:33:

Easy-peesy today the Gods smiled on us and the weather even kicked ass so we took advantage! Clean livin? Nah..i've been squirting PB on it for two weeks and ? the bleeder opened up which resulted in completing the abortion of a as-purchased brake repair......a year plus later. All we needed was the right tool for the job. :waytogo:
Check it out!

Taken today;

Pretty wild i'm driving it one year later to the day because my Blazer is broken again.

Helen's brake problem WAS a brake pad rattle maker / Paperclip thingy of this bastard BW 9 bolt.
Now it's bled it still has no parking brake and won't adjust until I get the snazzy p.brake cable connector dealy to the handle.
See it rolled under the passenger seat and I can't get it out because! it went into the carpet hole around a seat mount....huuuuuuuhh.
Oh yeah! THAT is why I never finished fixing the parking brake knowing I would HAVE TO cuz l.i.g.a.f otherwise...oh yeah...boy , third gens kick.ass! :rolleyes:
I had to source a correct leather wrapped handle...then the screws...then the connector dealy...then I lost it....didn't find big lulz. :party33:
Weeee!

Guess who is pulling the seat out tomorrow?

Yeah. So I can fix the brakes , duh. :confused:
Obviously!

Wait.. What?

Yeahhhh...

:biggun:

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The rear axle and brake package changed at a fast pace in the late 80's. The BW rear showed up in TA's first, in '85 and with drum brakes even. The Camaro didn't get the BW rear until '87 and it was just the rear disc brake cars. Then in '89, the rear calipers went to the better aluminum PBR type and a slightly bigger rotor too. Then for '90, it was back to the GM 10 bolt.

I've had a lot of issues with rear pad rattles on mine too. It's super annoying.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Wow. ^^^ sleepin sinceJuly 10. :893karatesmiley-thu
Must. Be nice..

I whupped out Helen Camaro a couple of weeks ago to finally fix the broken brake LINE after avoiding it ALLLLL summer.

I had it finished inside of one hour?
Wtf!
I was skeered to deth of that brake setup because i've fixed one before...lol. I think the 88? rearend (87-88?) was kind of a mid-production bastard Borg-Warner, made in AUSTRALIA part-30 years ago, that was succeeded by a superior, updated BW 9 bolt, but either of them are superior to the early GM10bolt. The brakes specifically, changed for the better in 1990?-1992...something like that. Maybe but I digress.

As i'm finishing the repair today, I took one look at the FORWARD FACING bleeder - without a dust cap on it, in like, forever ? - and it made me bust out the heavy.freaking.artillery. from my tool box. No questions asked - cuzz you don't want no trouble. :mad:
I had it figured at around FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS (US) that I was using worth of the highest quality tools known to man AND THEN the bleeder rounded inside of my almost thirty dollar, six point, ten millimeter, quarter inch swivel, favorite money making socket in the box. -The Producer.
:eek:
f.m.l. no plan for that...

Few options. That one new caliper is a freaking Ben $$. Because I don't have the right pair of Vise-Grips? Huh. **** that! How much are the bleeders lol? A stupid size or ? Y I has only haz Visegrips too big or too little @Goldilocks? May be a good thing!
Anyways , later I got a proper sized set and set the Z out today to "fix it or break it".
Again.
*huuuuuuhhh*
That is a remarkable occasion as you know , which luckily doesn't happen too often.

Break it OR fix it.
Lol. :(

50/50.
:33:

Easy-peesy today the Gods smiled on us and the weather even kicked ass so we took advantage! Clean livin? Nah..i've been squirting PB on it for two weeks and ? the bleeder opened up which resulted in completing the abortion of a as-purchased brake repair......a year plus later. All we needed was the right tool for the job. :waytogo:
Check it out!

Taken today;

Pretty wild i'm driving it one year later to the day because my Blazer is broken again.

Helen's brake problem WAS a brake pad rattle maker / Paperclip thingy of this bastard BW 9 bolt.
Now it's bled it still has no parking brake and won't adjust until I get the snazzy p.brake cable connector dealy to the handle.
See it rolled under the passenger seat and I can't get it out because! it went into the carpet hole around a seat mount....huuuuuuuhh.
Oh yeah! THAT is why I never finished fixing the parking brake knowing I would HAVE TO cuz l.i.g.a.f otherwise...oh yeah...boy , third gens kick.ass! :rolleyes:
I had to source a correct leather wrapped handle...then the screws...then the connector dealy...then I lost it....didn't find big lulz. :party33:
Weeee!

Guess who is pulling the seat out tomorrow?

Yeah. So I can fix the brakes , duh. :confused:
Obviously!

Wait.. What?

Yeahhhh...

:biggun:

Never owned a 3rd gen, but oh, Gawd Dam - pull the seat to fix the brakes?

What the fock?

:anitoof:

Lost parts suck, and oh, yeah, anything that drops in the seat area on my 4th is lost ...

Much like the 10mm quarter inch drive socket that I used to fix my lawnmower on the driveway .

What did I get for my efforts ?

A tink sound on startup and a missing socket.

At least your brake piece is safely hiding in your car ...

:dogpile:

Best of luck!

Britt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK