1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

9° is WAY better than 8! Looking forward to 10°, but not yet.
Lookit how the temp gauge reads now, meow.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ya, the tach is busted lol.

Tell em 'bout it, Dubya!
My car USED TO run too hot.

I found a code 36 FLOW CHART.
Omg it's on!

I ALSO found this totally radical website what has all kinds of great stuff to find in there.. http://chevythunder.com

Aww hell yeah! Just woke up and Ima make a pot of coffee to adjust my rear hatch glass? Oooook!? Sounds crazy but whatever! Ever heard of such a thing?

I almost have mustered the confidence to adjust my t-tops, I can SEE the need but we're starting at the hatch. I gotta drive it to work later haha. Who ever heard of a car that has adjustable glass lol freak me out? I'm only working my way to the DRIVER DOOR GLASS. *gulp*

Poor Dr.Suave and his money throwin..thanks for the new seals Doc but i'm bettin they'll work better after actually turning some wrenches? Just sayin...them new seals ain't that big lol... Don't worry bro, i'll take it from here. ;) I seent a video on the yoo tubes. If that monkey can do it, I can too!

She so dirty...lookit them front brakes workin all good now!

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Cripes!
If that is so easy to do, WHY TF did it need done SO BADLY .
UGH.
Don't worry Helen, Daddy's here now. :(
I banged out the hatch adjustment easy-peesy and fed from that hella confidence to tackle the p-side t-top.

I don't think the driver side EVER leaked so i'm not gonna mess with it. I know the passenger side HAS, and DOES. You can see I only took a small amount of what is available. I think it should probably "settle in" before I get greedy.

That's about how much it looked like it needed - with the top installed, stay tuned!
I get to takin all that stuff apart and it has ALL been color changed to black. I believe his $4500 paint job number to go from white to black!

...i... - oh nevermind!

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

Geez. So long since I was here, I had to read back and freshen up!

This happened while I was gone.
:(

The goddamned car WRECKED ITSELF.
I wasn't even in it, I swear. It's prolly what I get for runnin a 666 plate.. oy vey!
:banghead: it's much worse than it looks..

Back to f*ckin with the transmission? Remember? I was underneath her trying to adjust the SHIFT CABLE because it's all sloppy junk - if you recall? Anyways, long story short says : The cable ended up SNAPPING AT THE SHIFTER during that process , so I installed a new one.
Told ya it was janky.
In went a Pioneer from O'Reilly's. =$20.
I adjusted the new cable TWICE and it seemed okay, backed forward and back in the garage multiple times, ready for a drive.
Car was running inside, I get out to open the door thinking "I should hurry and get her out of here before something ****** happens" and the ************ popped into reverse. While I was behind her.:eek:

I still can't believe it.
:biggun:

Luckily, the open driver door caught on the SBC408 chillin on the stand and pushed all of THAT MESS into my ******* workbench, which of course only had so far to go before the bench hit THE WALL. Bumper was BARELY touching me. Yeah...:eek:
:flipthebird:

Highlighted in that picture is the dumb ass "IROC-Z" emblem on the skirt which ain't long for this world. I understand that is factory correct but my door should NOT say that twice in one door. ******* dumb. Make it go away!
When it gets fixed, the tri-color "Z-28" emblems will take their place and the correct stripes WILL return in addition to the new door callouts being correctly placed. They are in the wrong spot and crooked, now.

What.the.****.ever.
Noobs, I swear!

Mother ****** is gonna be cool WAY BEFORE it kills ME. Try, try, as it may. ;)

found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now! https://ebay.us/63EV7F

Correct for 85-87

I am the ninja in charge over here..

Anyways, got that shifter cable **** sorted out but it's crappy like it was before I started. It clicks 3.5 times from 2nd to 3rd.. Something else is at play *looking at you shifter*

Still runs like ass.:confused:
But.

I figured it out...the running problem.

Finally!

Lemme know when you're ready.

Ok. Ready?
Somewhere AFTER the car enters closed loop.
Temperature plays a role...
So does gasoline octane?

Coolant Temperature Switch

Yep.
Fuel consumption is EXTREMELY high...so high I don't figure it out cuz I know it's ******.:33:
Pritty chitty!

That tiny, miserable, $20 part has been KICKING MY ASS.

The poor running condition is almost all that I have thought about.. It has consumed me like it does 89 octane but I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!
NO THANKS to the ever so masterful "obd1"? CCC and this worthless. focking .paperclip! Lol!

C.T.S. IS the correct answer, Blee Dat.
Soon there will be burnout videos so that is ALSO happy. :D
I has a Flowmaster.......:)

So - that's good news... at least i'm still driving it to work every night. Well, only six nights a week...:(

I'll post more soon about the Z-28
AND
Gonna top Babe the Blue Ox's thread later today.

Idle hands are the devil's playground and therefore I must remain VERY BUSY. ;)

Stay tuned and thanks for reading.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, sucks about the door. That will probably be very difficult to repair. I'd bet solid used doors are still common out your way.

As for the rocker emblems, YOU SAID IT HOMEBOY!!!! Those emblems on the '88-'90 cars have always driven me nuts! It's ok when it's a factory stripe-delete car, but there wasn't very many of those at all.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
My old pal Gary Camaro HOOKED IT UPP!
Peep this for ?? Eighty bucks!
:banana-mario:
:gay:

:rockit:

:rocking:

:waytogo:

Hooktit upppp!!!! I'm STOKED! It was stashed WAY up there! Top chelf chit baybee! Yeahhhhh hidden and saved for special. Ungh.

In other news -

Plus black seat belt thingys. Mine are gray...PLUS

I got turned on the another pair of emblems that I.NEED.
These are correct (wtf) under the rocker emblems. Huh! Okay...i've never seen those for sale? Little research and i'll be damned. Ol doc Suave found SOMETHING ELSE to half ass.

Gettin warmer! - Stay Tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's a darn good deal on the steering wheel!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude!
I am happy that I didn't have to SEE the look on his face when I told him about the last wheel (over the phone) because I could hear his heart break. :(Fml.
Maybe ima sucker...he claimed to be able to beat the $90 deal for that core+ button and I mailed it back from HIS shop. I tried to convince him I did it for the alleged "leather". He had already told me he sold the last good leather wheel he had...
Anyways, I can't remember if I told the prelude to this story or not - so let's pretend I did. :)

How does one make a BLACK IROC-Z even cooler?

Tall order, no? Think that **** over.

Uhhh...yeahhh.....that's too tough. I came up with nothin!

So I wondered, what is NOT COOL about it?
Well - Besides the dent in the door, thanks!:mad:grr

The hood vents are fake, plastic and totally not cool.
So obvious it hurt.

I bought these today because THAT.is how to make an IROC even cooler. ;) i've already thought it over...
http://trackspecmotorsports.com/shop-by-vehicle/camaro/3rd-gen-camaro-82-90

:893karatesmiley-thu

Big pimpin - real,aluminum, hood vents.

*******. cool.

I ain't messin around! You bettah axe sumbuddy. (AND axe em if they know a good body guy because I do not :()

Take. My. Money.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Huh. I've never seen those before, they are kinda cool. What are you going to do about driving/parking in the rain?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
KINDA cool!? Uh huh. The clock has started ticking for your pair to arrive. ;)

Welllll I don't reckon i'll do anything different.

Granted it IS a 30 year old t-top car and I ALREADY try not to drive it in the rain, plus it lives inside of my garage what has a new roof. :rolleyes:I considered your query prior to purchase, but only briefly.
This car was never intended to be my daily, only meant to be CAPABLE OF being. Mostly the intention is tops out,radio up,sun-shinin,tires on fire. :peace:
****** 'Merica and ****! :patriot:

We're all waiting for the Corvette powered C20 daily-driver to get finished up..there is another update comin soon.

Certainly you do not assert that engines must remain dry under the hood @bucket :) It's not as-if it can't (or doesn't) get wet...they are intended to be sealed systems....
Look.i'm no master but I like to think that I know a little bit about it. :p What are you thinkin about it Andy my man? Am I missing something?

Won't it be fun to find out? I look forward to it.
IF some "thing" or part, -connection- should "fail" because it got wet -after Daddy cut a hole in the hood- then damnit, I want to know cuz THAT ain't cool at all! :D
The car WILL become stronger as a result and THAT is some of MY intention.

Check it out, GM parts.
:party52:

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine has always been a nice weather car too, but I have been caught in some terrible downpours a couple times. When I get it up and running again, I'd like to take it on trips out of state. It also spends a lot of time parked outside since I don't have enough garage/barn space for everything.

When I was younger, my '69 Impala went an entire winter with no hood on it, it was ok afterwards, but I'd never do that again lol. I guess I just don't like the thought of rain water going all over my TPI. Although a big vinyl magnet would work, black of course. It could ride in the t-top bag, so when the t-tops need to go back on, the magnet could just go on the hood.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
o_O.
Lol you has a t top bag?
Lucky!
Have you got the cargo hold down thingys too? I hear rumors... My car has none of that stuff and I have found the bags are seriously expensive!

Wait. Did you really just say "vinyl magnet"? :D

I kinda wonder if cutting a hole(s) in the hood would force rain water onto the windshield though..but that doesn't sound likely...
Ohhh 69 Impala. Sounds hot.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Just out of curiosity, what purpose will cutting holes in the hood serve? It's not like it doesn't already have cold air induction. Better cooling? The Roadkill guys always took the hoods off of cars that were overheating.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
In my mind, all the air being ducted through the radiator should have an easy exit point through those louvers. I won't claim that to be reality.

And yep, I've got the hold-downs for the bag too.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
And yep, I've got the hold-downs for the bag too.

Lucky dog! I wonder what happened to all of my parts!?
https://ebay.us/kyn24J
Old Camaros and trucks are fun!

@Blue Ox : the website says they increase downforce AND assist cooling (which means mo powa).
The car has no grille opening for the radiator, the holes behind the frog lites feed only the air intake of the engine as you eluded. Radiator cooling is plumbed from UNDERNEATH the car AND based only upon my very limited experience with THIS car, it needs all the cooling help it can get! Even though I really did fix it already...

"
  • Optimized louver design to maximize extraction flow velocities within a vehicle in motion
  • Reduces under hood pressure delta to reduce front end lift and increase net vehicle downforce.
  • Significantly reduces under hood temperatures by extracting heat and allowing fresh cold air to enter the engine bay.
  • Maximize life of engine accessories by reducing overall operating temperature.
  • Increases dense, cold air flow through radiator to promote lower coolant temperatures.
  • Louver backbone design maintains hood structural rigidity. "

BUT
There is NO ROOM in my Camaro for fake hood vents and that, sir, is your answer to the question -WHY?
Not gonna start posing NOW.

Either they are vents or they are vents. ;)

So you do a lot of PCP ?
"Got a gallon.."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54