1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A few things...

The all the different notchback hatches were fiberglass or SMC of some kind.

The fiberglass Z28 hood was '82 and '83. There issues with the durability and it was replaced with a steel hood for '84. The '82 and '83 CFI cars even had solenoid activated flaps that fed air into the air cleaner.

The leather wrapped IROC/Z28 wheel was used '82-'89. There were a small amount of those wheels with a groove in the center spoke, I've never pinpointed when those ones were produced.

It looks like the steering wheel in the ad has had the leather removed?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wtf? That's cool! Wow, I would really dig that..beats the huge piece of glass.
I knew about the "notchback" Firebirds...I wonder if a fella could find that notch made out of fiberglass...did you know there was a fiberglass Z28 HOOD made around '84 in limited quantities?

Omg feen! Ween.

I bought the car with a 4 spoke Sport truck wheel installed. It's leather wrapped, pretty nice but WAY too big @16". An IROC wheel is 14" diameter...
Need I mention there is no horn function?

They are pretty expensive too.
Correct in 85-89 only. Leather. Paint. Horn button...many variables to consider!
Bought one today after weeks and weeks of shopping. Had a nice time haggling with the consignment seller and spent $170.

More Zoloft, please.

I guess I feel better but the hole inside is STILL there!

You must be registered for see images attach

The original price was $199 plus that shipping but I was at $150 free ship.

Had loads of fun offering and counter offering. Great seller! A++
(That's worth something , right?)

I think i'll look into installing the "T" handle from my Monte Carlo shifter as I finish the console.. i'm NOT into that button deal. It's pritty gay.

Yeah, the wheel is definitely not for a Camaro. Should be a truck although I did throw one on my caprice lol

Is that four spoke wheel in good shape, tho? I may be interested for my dually

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ok @bucket , whatever..lol i'm no expert but I know Gary has one on his 88 IROC -with a 540 in it- and I casually look around for em - all the ones I find are pretty beat up, doesn't seem like a realistic swap for ME.
I want to get the actual, functioning vents from trackspec or whatever and hack my hood up lol. The pictures are kinda dark, if you could see closeups with it flipped upside down the stiching is visible. It says in the ad that it's complete, which is the sell point and what i'm shopping for. My wheel's leather is awesome - not trading down!
I think the line in the middle -that looks like the wheels- is what makes it an IROC wheel, not Z28 or RS?

@Old77 yessir! It IS in fantastic shape AND I want to find it a good home to recover some cost of the swap.
It IS a gmt400? , leather wrapped, four spoke, "Sport" wheel, and I don't know anything else about it except it measures 16" across. I don't know what they were equipped in.
It was in my car when I bought it.
/shrug
You see how much I spent, i'll see what they sell for, it's prolly close to half what I spent.? Make me an offer - you got dibs. ;) i'd like to see you have it.

Not having a horn makes me nervous.

*edit* 88-94 trucks?

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Ok @bucket , whatever..lol i'm no expert but I know Gary has one on his 88 IROC -with a 540 in it- and I casually look around for em - all the ones I find are pretty beat up, doesn't seem like a realistic swap for ME.
I want to get the actual, functioning vents from trackspec or whatever and hack my hood up lol. The pictures are kinda dark, if you could see closeups with it flipped upside down the stiching is visible. It says in the ad that it's complete, which is the sell point and what i'm shopping for. My wheel's leather is awesome - not trading down!
I think the line in the middle -that looks like the wheels- is what makes it an IROC wheel, not Z28 or RS?

@Old77 yessir! It IS in fantastic shape AND I want to find it a good home to recover some cost of the swap.
It IS a gmt400? , leather wrapped, four spoke, "Sport" wheel, and I don't know anything else about it except it measures 16" across. I don't know what they were equipped in.
/shrug
You see how much I spent, i'll see what they sell for, it's s prolly close to the same? Make me an offer - you got dibs. ;) i'd like to see you have it.

*edit* 88-94 trucks?
They came in 88-94 trucks but also 89-91 squares :) how does $20 plus the cost of shipping sound? It would definitely be put to good use in my new pick ‘em up truck :D

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

/shrug
You see how much I spent, i'll see what they sell for, it's prolly close to half what I spent.? Make me an offer - you got dibs. ;) i'd like to see you have it.

*edit* 88-94 trucks?

Z28's and IROC's used the same steering wheel. The wheel with the third groove was used early in the production run I think. In '82 or '83, and I'm not sure if it was used for a full production year or not.

The digital dash Berlinetta got a similar looking steering wheel. The '87 LT (rare car these days) got one that was fairly close too, but neither of those were leather wrapped.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

Sweet. I ALMOST didn't want a leather one until I remembered I bought "deluxe interior" seats +door panels. After seeing the prices especially...
I'm pretty anxious to get my hands on it lol..the tilt goes down far enough that the 16" wheel is clearly too big. And the horn..
I let a nice one get away at $145 after I first bought the car, not knowing they commanded such a steep price. Of course the car was OVERHEATING and barely running _ I had more important matters to tend to at that time.

Diligence pays off, nice examples are tough to find. I figure that is a consignment seller, they have a higher standard and again, buyer protection works! I shop with confidence on eBay.
I'll ask Gary about them and we'll see what he says - if I think about it.
All I know is that it is a single line , like the 85-87 wheels, and it matches. ;)
I am bout it bout it!

In my future is a new power steering pump and i'll get Brian to swap the steering wheels and connect the horn at that time. In a month maybe..three weeks?
I am really gonna focus hard on the Babe now that Helen is driving to work.
I had to top off my differential and tighten some bolts yesterday, 'twas seeping.
Maybe the trans will not leak after I loosed that cable...the car simply cannot leak.

Helen seems pleased. I don't think she came back (from the dead) to bitch, we're havin a nice time now.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
You'll be the first person I tell. :rolleyes:

found something thought you might get a kick out of this 87 IROC-Z with a Daytona hood and corvette rear window? That's what dude said

Lol

I support anybody with a IROC AND a square truck! Wanna bet he voted TRUMP?

I've never liked that hood but I am crazy over the hatch.

I think my "check ball" is already unstuck. Helen fired off suprisingly quick tonight on my way to work like wtf easy..
We'll find out if she can repeat the performance on the way home!
Wouldn't that be somethin?

No leaking either!

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ever heard of Babymetal? You are not ready. :Sumo:

Ya. Check ball unstuck in TWO DAYS. That Techron stuff is amazeballs!

Still spent a GRIP on that mua fugga eBay last week... :( Glad that ****'s over with! Entry pricing fir that FLOWMASTER is $154?
Easy to find listed @$126.66 :rocking: I was making offers for $100 and ended up buying a "new return" , never installed, for $109? Kick.Ass. I'll take it!

Last night I changed the lower radiator hose and the fan switch. (Again!)
Last time I bought them I bought three. The latest one seems okay.

Today I set timing from Bryan's 8° to my 6° and installed the $20 airfoil after it showed up in the mail today. Looks nice! On a side note, (post-Techron) I filled up today with 89 and realized my gas gauge is now ACCURATE.
Amaze-balls.

Lookin kinda clean in there eh? I detail a piece of it every time I open the hood..now it shows!

Lightly tried the SS's t-handle and it won't work. Sad.face. :(

Will try the entire shifter later, closer towards install of the console. You see I bought the carpet to make it black...reckon I need to ALSO change the kick panel carpet AND the sail panels to black, with some correct floor mats. Add black seat belt guides and sunvisors + a black headliner? That will look just like the seats and be AWESOME.

ANYWAYS, plans are good, n-m-r-mine.
Driving today was excellent.

I went to visit the C20 today to deliver them parts plus buy lunch... that ball is rolling right along...everybody is on the same page and nobody can think up more parts lol .:party33: Sorry Johnny.

I have even begun to consider installing a STEREO in the Helen! Think i'll start - tonight!

Omg!

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

I bought 3,000 K- LED fog lights and that is how they look? I wanted yellow..Orange bulbs behind the orange turn lenses and everything! Orange bulbs behind the clear sides but why you no has color Helen? Okay.. I guess it's cool for now. Not important really.
Speaking of, I really did begin screwin with the stereo but all that really happened was I ended up removing some wires and cables so it would go faster, lol?
Get better gas mileage?
Look, I couldn't find my test light. :rolleyes:

Oh! My trip odometer doesn't work! Grr. I actually wanted to figure the mileage burning 89 octane. Grr.

I confess the fun factor has increased dramatically but NOT without the necessary work. :)
And project funds... :(

I report to you, here, that I have finally rolled Helen's first 1,000 miles under her new namesake. I bought her in JULY? Only 1,000 miles. :33:

There was even a great "Changing of the Tag" - to make it offical!

Hail Satan! :headbang:

You regular readers of my posts AND threads know how I roll. That ****'s funny! Ask those what know me, I thrive on the "shock factor".
Sliek omg . YOU HAZ IT? Yes I want the 666 tag pliz and thank you. <3 It was the talk of the tag agency before I left...******* Oklahomans...they are SO EASY. :D

*edit

Soooooo the engine runs like a CHAMP. :boxing: I ran it sufficiently at 6° down from 8° and i've decided to go the other way. I set it at 9° when I got home from work this morning.
I have begun to think that the ignition timing may be SOME source of my crappy transmission shifting. Into second gear, specifically. 6 wasn't any better than 8 and I have farted with that stupid TV cable over and over and can't get happy with it (the shifting).
Maybe the rebuilt trans is damaged? I don't intend to fart with it forever - i've already begun to weigh our options but the one I want is gonna run me $1900.
F*ck. :bawl: guess i'll keep messin with it awhile. LoL.

Moving forward.Daily driving.

Of course-thanks to Bucket, the steering wheel showed up with NO leather at all.:Boo:
I wonder wtf I was lookin at? Some other wheel I guess..
Seller was actually very reasonable after I priced CORES I called it, with button, at $90 AND THEN they offered me a partial refund, so I kept it for $90.

I'm okay with that as focus turns towards the interior...because it runs mostly GREAT, especially compared to how it ran in JULY.
The front brakes? Stout. Very nice, like wow much better. I realize the front struts need replaced...driver side mostly. SOMETIMES there are intermittent running issues that I am having a blast chasing down...again, regular readers may know but I was FINALLY led to the GAS CAP, yesterday.
AH-HA! That's gonna put me over the edge..I find it extremely difficult to overstate the importance of a proper functioning gas cap.
Give it time, i'll report back cuz that will have a positive effect, for sure!
This types of "work" is the fun we've been after. Super_tuning has begun! Engine light comes on IMMEDIATELY now after start up.Code 36 remains. Instant engine light is how I am going to fix it. I haven't been looking at a hard fault but there is one?
I am SO GOING TO FIX YOU NOW!
OMG!

Hrm. Looks like somebody I know needs to get jiggy with the Sharpie behind a gas cap!
There has been a LOT of paint touch up with a Sharpie. ;) it's sooo rad.

Turns out the original console was CUT in two. o_O
The Trans Am console was ALSO CUT in two. o_O
What a P.O. mess!
FUNN! Yusss I love it!
There is still some gawddamned rattle underneath the car but now I can tell you where it is NOT.

The parking brake arrived AND THEN I learn there was a leather handle option which I did NOT buy. Hrm again.
Okay...I installed it and?
It doesn't work.
Zero effect.

Oh the HANDLE I bought is great, it pulls the cable, seats nice, looks ok, BUT nothing happens lol. MOAR FUN?
I hope I can handle it.
Get it? Handle it?
:oops:
Everybody knows I haven't taken the rear wheels off yet. Still got 10 lug nuts to install!
I didn't post for awhile.. Lots to catch yous up on because I stay busy, blee dat.
My brand new $800 water heater has broken in the house trying to distract me.. It ALMOST made it one year -two?but at least it waited until it started getting cold..

I know the Blue Ox runs and she gets money next week. I'm goin back to Johnny Craigslist's on Monday after an HVAC mode selector / vacuum switch dealy in the dash. I have reached a certain point with this IROC that I no longer have to spend a bank on it constantly, so funds have freed up as winter beckons. Hurrah!
I am learning how to adjust the t-tops AND the hatch...

I bought deluxe interior seats (which I guess are "charcoal" and door panels, PLUS I have a leather shift knob, I need leather parking brake handle and covered steering wheel to complete "deluxe interior" I think. Those five things need to be leather?

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

I confess the fun factor has increasred dramatically but NOT without the necessary work.
And project funds..

I report to you, here, that I have finally rolled Helen's first 1,000 miles under her new namesake.

There was even a great "Changing of the Tag" - to make it offical!

Hail Satan! :headbang:

You regular readers of my posts AND threads know how I roll. Ask those what know me, I thrive on the "shock factor".

I will continue this post in a bit.
Stay tuned!
Shes lookin good! Hot hell spawn helen lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704