1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Last time I did plugs and wires on a stock IROC, I did them all from up top. I've just always found it easier that way, even when I had a lift at my disposal.

Getting rid of the air injection lines makes the job SO much easier too.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Remember the other spark plug picture? That was the #7.

Here is the #6.
I've been trying unsuccessfully to drive a really large displacement SIX CYLINDER !

You must be registered for see images attach

Pooooor IROC Helen Z. No wonder she's been so pissed off and ran like such a ****. Wanna bet it'll do smoky burnouts now? Reckon I found the running problem? Between the unattached ground that I BET was setting the SES light and ******* up my MAF burn off operation coupled with an almost dead cylinder in each back?

Do ya?
Well?
Do ya think them would make it run chitty?
Oh! Plus the failed base intake gasket and no less than 6 vacuum leaks?

Don't go to Scheer Automotive. Dr.Suave was pushing this dated 05-03-2017 , $500 tune up really hard as a sell point..yet he didn't know why it ran so bad sometimes. ...Like when the engine was running. ;)

Just goes to show ya...when the $430 thermostat replacement fails to produce an improved running condition...maybe a good idea to check the basics. :)

Didja lookit what some "trained" monkey did to my IROC!?

If you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Bad mother ****** now! :headbang:
Hail Satan!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
wow!!! over $500 for a friggin tune up??? sheesh

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It often costs that much through a shop. It shouldn't cost that much for a misdiagnosis though. Unless it actually did run well then somehow.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
"power flushed fuel injectors".....by dumper fuel injector cleaner down the shoot. Really? and $75 to do so? Maybe I'm missing something LOL

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Aye.
'Tis indicative of the obscene monies ye old pain doctor Suave was rushing to throw at this car in hopes his son would WANT IT.
While Suave was wasting monies on crap like paint and wheels, leather seating, that I immediately got rid of - he failed to make it run worth a damn.
Exhaust leaks a plenty!
Misfires
Needs P/S pump
Needs water pump?
HARD starting at ALL times
Wouldn't hardly get out of it's own way....and the boy wanted a ******* 4 door Jeep Wrangler ....Dr.Suave's heart was broken and he puts it for sale at HALF PRICE the number he spent trying to buy his son's affection and attention. ($7500)
I watched it listed long enough until I couldn't stand risking some ********* snatching my Camaro dreams away..My number was $6200.

Kinda sad really. :(
In retrospect?

I guess i'm an *******.!. I figured I could fix it, and have fun doin it. Hell I WANT TO. His loss would be my gain? Sorry not sorry!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Aye.
'Tis indicative of the obscene monies ye old pain doctor Suave was rushing to throw at this car in hopes his son would WANT IT.
While Suave was wasting monies on crap like paint and wheels, leather seating, that I immediately got rid of - he failed to make it run worth a damn.
Exhaust leaks a plenty!
Misfires
Needs P/S pump
Needs water pump?
HARD starting at ALL times
Wouldn't hardly get out of it's own way....and the boy wanted a ******* 4 door Jeep Wrangler ....Dr.Suave's heart was broken and he puts it for sale at HALF PRICE the number he spent trying to buy his son's affection and attention. ($7500)
I watched it listed long enough until I couldn't stand risking some ********* snatching my Camaro dreams away..My number was $6200.

Kinda sad really. :(
In retrospect?

I guess i'm an *******.!. I figured I could fix it, and have fun doin it. Hell I WANT TO. His loss would be my gain? Sorry not sorry!
nah...you're not an *******. Just taking advantage of an opportunity and hopefully you ARE having fun fixing it...mostly at least :D It's definitely a cool car worth saving. Foam filled spare tire compartment and all :happy175:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Oh ****. I forgot about the spare tire! Damnit man. Gary sold me the WRONG ONE and it doesn't even *******.fit. in the hole that I spent three hours (on the clock schwing!) wollering out of spray foam. Grr.

Haha we're good to swap NP.
Matter of fact perhaps next week we're gonna have lunch since i've been gathering ALL of my good for trade/sale/barter because I need more Camaro parts. :(

There is no money that will change hands...I need a parking brake handle before I can fix the brakes, I scored an "upper console" that I owe him for, I have to cough up my 1988 TPI chip for the '89 chip i'm running now...he has an aluminum 1LE spare WITH THE AIR CAN he's trying to get me to want..but all I need the is the OE jack + hardware - sound familiar? etc.etc.etc...the list goes on and on.
He wants to adjust my t-tops and fix the leaks..oh yeah! I need t-top bag and holder dealy too!
I am anxious to complete restoration on the hatch area so I can get to wiring in a proper stereo system...
The console + parking brake handle (M.I.A) will come first so I can get after the rattle trap brakes.

The O2 sensors still need changed...sadly the stereo isn't very important really. I already own everything i'm going to use and it.WILL. KICK.ASS! :peace:

That list really isn't that bad nor expensive..the C20 is slowly inching towards completion at the forefront now that summer is over, just don't tell Helen!
It's getting worked on RIGHT NOW while I work on the Camaro and Babe will get the next $500.
I have to come up with another payment to enter the finish phase which i've already signed on for.

Life in my garage is very hard on the Camaro paint job. I wish I cared. :33:

Ima make a video later maybe. I started to while ago but there was an airplane, a contractor with a circular saw across the street, a diesel truck, a police siren, and loathe for life in the city. I can't wait to pay my house off so I can sell it and move away from here!
Can't you noisy mother fuckers see I want to make a cold start , after 2 weeks, with new plugs, and various other fixes video on my cell phone?

GOSH!

The 3rd gen console I have is Gray...some assembly required! :(

Hell yeah i'm havin fun!;)

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I stopped in the Camaro yard today at near closing time with my P/S wrap-around bracket in hand because it won't fit on my truck.

I find myself in bracket heaven!

Gary says "if it's not in that aisle, it may be the next one over, look until you find one, I gotta go to building 4.
(I was in building 2, the third gen building)
"Yessir, i'm lookin, thank you."

Gary climbs over a pile of...air cleaners? and A/C condensors I think? before looking back to say "if it's not back there by the door, there DEFINATELY is ONE in THIS ROOM. The part you need is '82-'87 F body only - have fun!"

Then he turned around and climbed out.

Uh-huh.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah I didn't find it that day...will go again! :crazy:

We have lunch plans next week, Gary and I. Today I has a tiny update before I declare it fixed, more testing must be completed BUT it is seemingly working out very well. :thumbsup:
I actually drove her to work Wednesday night..:party33:

Having searched WIRING DIAGRAMS I determined the loose ground terminal from the recent, previous posts to be THE CAUSE of my code 36? MAF burn off relay. Seems as-if the inactive ground permitted the relay from switching and cleaning the sensor.
That said, my very immediate thought in the process of WHY and HOW the running conditions ONLY continued to change involved "re-learn" and now I do not believe that to be true. After the repair (plugs ++) I maintained a moderate to severe off-idle stumble and hesitation that would "clear up" given enough RPM.
KNOWING it wasn't the plugs.. I was left scratching my head.

Being rather stubborn regarding because it didn't make sense , I kept driving it around Tuesday, hoping it would snap out of it ... until it did?
Thus, I blamed re-learn because it took three or four KEY STARTS.
Ah-hah! I thought ....but that didn't make sense either... :( re-learn in THESE cars doesn't take that long. Or shouldn't..

After I drove it home to park it, I wondered about the effing.relay. and popped the hood after parking. The -1989 listed- burn-off relay was warm to the touch. ****! That's a pretty gawddamned valid test of that circuit(s):imo:
SO! It IS working AND my current theory is that it took some key starts/ignition cycles to clean the MAF sensor.

The car seems to function normally NOW.
Improved running is impressive considering...the other work that still needs done. The new O2 sensors WILL finish it off nicely!
Improved STARTING is putting this theory over the top. It's really neat. EyE did that..
I don't know how fast I was going but it maintained wheelspin for SOME DISTANCE and I was all like "woah!" I was going pretty fast...maybe 25,30? I'll look next time but I was hella surprised!

Wtf?

I fixed it?

Now I must put the ground in its' proper place at the transmission bellhousing and i'm thinking real hard about what else can benefit the car's engine ground circuit because that's where i'm at and that is what is gonna happen. We will go through ALL of the engine ground circuit because it is ALL in question NOW.

/facepalm

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
"power flushed fuel injectors".....by dumper fuel injector cleaner down the shoot. Really? and $75 to do so? Maybe I'm missing something LOL
That indicates a BG 44k three part fuel system clean to me - which involves metered, compressed air if done properly.

Just sayin..that didn't fix it.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The grounds at the rear should bolt to a very short stud, on the end of the cylinder head.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Cool, thanks!
I know an exhaust manifold bolt is not the right spot - nor is it my first choice and using that spot is wildly temporary... until it ends up wherever it's meant to go.
That's some other day. My car is an exhaust leakin mugg!
Oh why oh why did my expert muffler have to retire before we got to the Camaro O Lord?

At least I got him to run the C20s pipes! That **** is alllll kinds of proper.

I asked Gary about my Flow with the rectangle 4th gen tips just the other day! He's suppossed to be lookin for one he said was out there...reckon hat's comin up too because the IROC sounds like CHIT it's just not important..but it's inching to the front. I bet he'll make me a GOOD deal. Ima mention about the seats trade for it. ;)
Then we'll be good.

Ima go look at it RIGHT NOW.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

Had the car out today...put 5 gallons of PLUS in the tank because math and wheeled thru Discount Tire for some 40 PSI.
And i'm still not happy with it. :(
It just ain't right BUT it runs loads and tons better yet it lacks power down LOOOOOWWWW.
Tons and loads?

Must fix more.

I don't like the shifting...

The starting was changing today...maybe old boy was right about the timing chain...it's ALWAYS doing something DIFFERENT.

*******. GRR.

SeS light was out, now it's back on.
Am I having fun? Oh yeaahhh..lemme tell ya!

I checked for my grounding stud on the cylinder head and found only a bolt hole. Wah.

BUT!
At least the "spare" keys that were bought on eBay got made today and turned out nice plus I got to see Tiffany at the hardware store...
Friccin OE keys with the plastic and ****? Big pimpin!

I think the "originals" are gonna end up being the spares haha.

I'm driving it to work tonight.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wow, those are legit GM keys too, not just the slide-on covers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike