1988 IROC-Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

Went back around to check kind of everything and found none unusual.
Not really...
Decided to pull the baffles out of my airbox lol and bumped the distributor a bit too.

Fired up much faster - I could tell the timing was a tad off - it was HARD starting.

Boom. New code 22?

Throttle Position Sensor actually makes sense. The plug for my EGR solenoid is different than my car's, maybe I can swap it for a TPS tomorrow. $38 bucks or something. My parts guy will be there at 1000... Might as well...wtf do I care anyway?

Hmm. Needs pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

Baffles?
We don't need no stinking baffles!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Lmmfao! I don't care who ya are, that ****'s funny!

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
FINALLY got the IROC back on the road a month later after a FOUR DOLLAR thermostat debacle...

**** me.

I want to die..so tired...NO REST since the wreck.

Tryin to keep the body movin?
The Camaro's...not mine. Haha workin on this car is hard! I don't wanna get stove up.

Recruited a fresh pair of eyes because I need it on the road.
Had my buddy look it over for me. Driver side runner was leaking... THAT WAS THE ONE I took on and off EIGHT TIMES to get all the bolts started.grr.

He adjusted timing. And the TPS. No more code 22.
He says "Brother you made a smart choice. No wonder it ran like ****... you had #3 and #5 wires swapped."

.............:banghead:
lol

I'm tryin to tell you dudes...I couldn't see straight anymore. Again, TOO CLOSE. Forest for the trees type stuff. NOT FUN. You get the good and the bad in ny threads, you know I only sell you the:893karatesmiley-thu real dope.

Saved myself $745 in labor swappin intakes myself. That $4.00 thermostat still cost me almost $450 by the time I paid his $120 bill.:idiot: whatever!

120 shop
125 intake
40 gaskets
55 EGR valve
50 oil change / coolant
55 belt tensioner (A/C works - good !) Dr.Dan was right on about the tensioner.
I have the switch pigail in the mail...

And of course now it runs too cool. :(
Lol but now we're back to havin fun!

The timing chain has so much slack in it the timing mark bounces all over the place. If I jack the timing up enough, I can make the off idle hesitation go away but the idle is way too high and it's hard starting. SO, me adjusting the TPS to cure the idle is how the code 22 got set. I did that. End story? Needs a timing chain. ****. Oh yeahhh...more fun lined up indeed. :( sucks because the engine is strong and the car seems otherwise tight.

Trans output seal / U joints
Power steering pump. I actually pulled the dipstick and found it dry. DRY. Added fluid so now it leaks haha. For a little bit anyways! $245 for a MASTERPRO part installed but I want A-1 CARDONE and will NOT do it.
Trans filter on the counter seems harmless enough?
Brake rattles? I opened the Master Cylinder the other day and found the back well almost dry. Added fluid and now the brakes are spongy(er) but most of the rattles are gone. :mad:

All on deck projects = fun?

Did I mention the A/C works? :D

*edit*
Oh yeahhh! I failed to mention that I am now running with a 1989 PROM but that's another post. ;)
Cold Start Switch / 9th injector delete parts kit is in the mail

Ask me WHY.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
9th injector delete kit installed today.

(PCV connection seen)

(Brake Booster connection seen)

The 9th injector's power is connected to the starter solenoid and THAT is how it functions, leaving the plug hanging is no big deal.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The 9th injector only activates on cold starts. There's a temp switch up at the front of the manifold too.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
That's the rest of the story.. I may tell it later tonight. Planning to drop trans pan maybe, but I have both of the other transmission seals I need - and ima yank the driveshaft later on.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
01:47

I tweaked mah gawldang oil seal with that 5 pound hammer...paid for with a $5 O'Reilly's reward card...still! I should be more careful eh? Mebbe a smaller hammer would help?.. Meh. An additional $5.88 i'll never get back. Back away from the aluminum driveshaft and PUT THE HAMMER DOWN!

Shown are the old and the new Speedometer cable seals , observe the silicone applied by a masterful P.O. that did not stop it from leaking. Or maybe it did? Reckon the new seal will? We'll all find out together!

I'm not even gonna start messin with these u-joints... I've got an appointment with Dr.Dan at 08:30 AND a ride! Hope it's okay if we swing by the O'Reilly's on the way home....i've got another rewards card... daddy needs another seal but it's okay! I can swing another Lincoln. (Monday was payday) :) Camaro spending is light for once!

Okay, okay. We're cuttin it short tonight.

I drove the Z around a gang today and it needs ....more work, but it's still taking to all the changes okay. Remember that "too much at once" jazz? That **** is real! I adjusted the TV cable FOUR times today and i'm still not happy with the shiftings but i tell ya what, the mother ****** runs COOL AS A CUCUMBER now and is a whole HELL of a LOT more..... "peppy"? ;)

Stay tuned race fans!

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Saw this at a local body shop today. Thought you’d enjoy it. Haven’t seen one in person for a long time.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Been rocking my TPI the past week. Put a starter on her and fired right up like new. She'd been sitting for the past year, the past 6 months, the starter had been out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Been rocking my TPI the past week. Put a starter on her and fired right up like new. She'd been sitting for the past year, the past 6 months, the starter had been out.

Both of mine have sat too long and the fuel pumps have died.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Before I parked her, she cranked over about 10 seconds before starting when hot, new starter and she fires instantly.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
After such an amazing C20 time in the daylight yesterday, I started working on the Camaro around 0400 today.
After all the work i've done to it, she still runs like ****.

Pushing my luck was not a consideration I only wished to stike while the iron remained HOT.
I spent about TWO HOURS playing with the IROC changing only four spark plugs and I bet I found the trouble!
I found a bad plug, a huge exhaust leak (manifold bolts not tight) AND the hanging ground!
I asked Gary Camaro about the ground terminals near the distributor one day when it was going back together and he said almost in passing "three passenger side, two driver."

Hmmm. I told him I've never seen the ones on the driver side.
:hmm:
That seems like some time ago?
I was looking for some place I said it seems like it's got a bad ground....guess I said that out loud.

Whatever.

So i'm layin on my back last night, changing spark plugs...

And I see ...... THIS!

Holy crap. Lookit.
Hay Mr.Ground terminal...aren't you suppossed to be...oh you know...doing something?
LIKE GROUNDING STUFF?
grr! Git back to work damnit!
I know an exhaust manifold is NOT it's intended spot but it'll work for now. SUPER LOOSE.
Omg. I lucked into fixing a HUGE leak!

Then I pulled #7.
Eureka! Here's my misfire I bet money.

Some ******* must have DROPPED that sumbitch and then put it in anyways! Oy vey...these plugs were brand new when I got it.
:boxed:

Misfire much? Maybe you has cracked insulator? You needs some bigger gap!

Don't worry Helen, through sickness and in health BB..daddy will take care of you. ;)

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ahh!
Yeah...that LED in the garage doesn't do much for my pure caucasian skins but what can I say? I do NOT work outside ... but I DO work nights...i'm a real "Indoorsman".
An "indoorsy type"?
:D

I have to supplement vitamin D. :(

Haha! J/K but I really do..

I wish my car ran as good as his... :(
Look, I'm workin on it!

It will before you know it...all I gotta do is spend another three hours to change the plugs out of the HARD SIDE *gulp!
Right?
Can't wait to figure that **** out...I actually spent half an effort trying to get a wrench on the oxygen sensor to no avail. My O2 socket has no chance of fitting?
Meh! I repaired the connection to the temp gauge too. That makes4 repairs!

Gonna have to drop the y pipe to swap O2 , i've got that side studied up real good...it's all fixed up except my oil pressure gauge switch thingy needs a new plug.
I can't wait to discover what secrets are hiding on the passenger side!

Remember changing the fan switch? The fan started staying on while the engine is running now and my A/C compressor won't turn on anymore.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

In my spare time I am simultaneously building a 40 year old 3/4 ton.:disgust:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL