16" wheels on 3/4 ton v20 axles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A Dayton is a "widow maker"

I think we have a different idea on what is called a Dayton. The ones I was trying to describe aren't unsafe at all.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You must be registered for see images attach

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes they are. The ones with the 5 bolts are called daytons and that rim that is held on by 5 bolts is under pressure usually. If a guy takes all 5 bolts off before the outer rim is unseated it can blow off and kill a person severing body parts in the process.

The bolts have to be just backed off enough to wack the rim with a hammer. When it pops the bolts hold it from flying off. Usually!

Guys can get away with taking all 5 bolts off and poping the rim with just a gentle pop and then the next one will kill you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes they are. The ones with the 5 bolts are called daytons and that rim that is held on by 5 bolts is under pressure usually. If a guy takes all 5 bolts off before the outer rim is unseated it can blow off and kill a person severing body parts in the process.

The bolts have to be just backed off enough to wack the rim with a hammer. When it pops the bolts hold it from flying off. Usually!

Guys can get away with taking all 5 bolts off and poping the rim with just a gentle pop and then the next one will kill you.

I understand that, but anything is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Daytons are NOT the "widow maker" rim. The rims that got the widow maker name can blow apart and kill somebody just when driving down the road. I just looked it up to be sure, the Firestone RH-5 rim type is the design that earned the "widow maker" name. The rim is two halves and if there's any corrosion or imperfection in the locking ring grove, the two rim halves can separate. It's a very old design and other types got grouped into the "widow maker" name just because people didn't exactly know what they were talking about.

If someone gets hurt with a Dayton rim, they are probably just a moron that didn't have any business removing a wheel to begin with.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, you don't whack a Dayton rim with a hammer, you knock on the little wedges.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Also, you don't whack a Dayton rim with a hammer, you knock on the little wedges.

Well that may be but if you ever go logging the term Widow maker is applied to daytons as well.

And there have been good knowledgeable guys killed in the bush from Dayton rims.

You don't wack the rim you wack the ring. sometimes it has to be done

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well that may be but if you ever go logging the term Widow maker is applied to daytons as well.

And there have been good knowledgeable guys killed in the bush from Dayton rims.

You don't wack the rim you wack the ring

That's my point, the widow maker name get's stuck to rim types that didn't earn the name. Like the poster in this thread that was under the assumption 16.5's got the name.

Daytons don't just unbolt themselves and kill someone, somebody has to actually make a mistake. That RH-5 type is a two piece rim that DOES blow apart all by itself and kill people, and an exploding rim has a hell of a lot more force than a rim/tire combo popping off of a hub. Really any locking ring type design is extremely dangerous if not done right, but the RH-5 type is the one that earned the name. By comparison, the Dayton type is very safe and is not a locking ring type.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well I don't know. The old daytons were 2 piece rims with a locking ring and a tube inside and those things could be and were very lethal.

But I do get your drift.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
I thought dayton was a brand of wheel.

Stomp and steer

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I worked for commercial tire in san francisco. The other important step is to make sure that all the air is out.....
2 yrs of changing bus,truck,back hoe tires etc will age you quick.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I think these are the ones commonly called the widow makers, Firestone RH-5

Attachments

• firestone.jpg
    firestone.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 110

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
I have 16" steel on mine and I want to goto aluminum. I see a possible conflict in that the semi floating axle has a slight hub clearance difference over the full floater. I am finding (for those manufacturers that list such data) a slight variance, about 5mm in hub diameter. Does anyone have a picture around of what the factory aluminum option was for 1988-1991 on R/V2500s with the 8600lb option?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus