Wiring--Engine Heat Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Wondering what's good to use to protect wiring to the starter to keep from getting damaged by exhaust or engine heat?

dhartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
Standard motor products make a heat shield material that can be placed over the wires to guard them from the heat you should be able to pick some up at any good part store or order it online. Part #hp2670 it is technically a spark plug boot protector. however can be used for wires just the same.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I saw the spark plug shielding and thought it might work. You just confirmed it.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I use the factory metal tube plus a homemade bracket to hold the harness in place and away from my header collector then added some heat protective sleeve from Summit between the tube and solenoid.

Don-T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I bought something called DEI Fire Sleeves from Summit Racing. Very similar to the plug wire sleeves.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was about ready to post something and I found this thread.

Is DEI heat wrap (the kind with Velcro) really pretty good? Apparently the metal tube is missing on mine so when they installed the headers when rebending the exhaust , they wrapped the wiring that is against the headers, and I mean it’s on it. Not sure how excited I am about that, but if it really is pretty good, I won’t stress about it.

Edit- the headers are ceramic coated but in the grand scheme of things, I’m not sure that is a real game changer, probably still hot as hell.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I’m not familiar with that type of wrap but wouldn’t the Velcro be plastic? If so, I’d think that would be vulnerable to heat.

Regardless of wrapping, I’d definitely be doing something to get the wiring off the header.

The heat sleeve I used was not split, it is a pita to install but worth it.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i bought the spark plug boot protectors weeks ago....just keep looking at them in my daily driver on my way to work...guess they aint gonna install themselves.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Vortec small blocks have a factory shielding in the right side around the exhaust manifold area. Material is snaped together and easy to install. I procured several from a pick and pull for only a couple dollars. Handy for other uses as well.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m not familiar with that type of wrap but wouldn’t the Velcro be plastic? If so, I’d think that would be vulnerable to heat.

Regardless of wrapping, I’d definitely be doing something to get the wiring off the header.

The heat sleeve I used was not split, it is a pita to install but worth it.
Yeah, I hear what you’re saying. It could be ok if the Velcro was rotated away from the heat source but I’m not a fan.

Turns out, Autozone apparently has a DEI starter wrap in stock, so I think what I’ll do is pick one of those up, rotate the Velcro to the inside of the block, and put the wiring inside the starter wrap with more DEI over the wiring. We’ll see how much real estate is down there when I get to work.

The other option is add an extension to the wiring and route it under the inside of the starter and back around the front.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Vortec small blocks have a factory shielding in the right side around the exhaust manifold area. Material is snaped together and easy to install. I procured several from a pick and pull for only a couple dollars. Handy for other uses as well.
Good idea, I’ll keep an eye out if I happen to see something like that.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I bought some reflective tubing from Summit, can’t remember what brand. I still used the metal tube heat shield but added lengths of this stuff for abrasion and heat protection

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod