Wiring an arming switch for a winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So, I have a remote switch wired into my dash and want to install an arming switch for the control. Winch is an 8274 with a 3 wire controller. A few things I am not clear on.

Do I use a three prong toggle SPST, (On/Off) one ground wire, one power wire and one load wire? If so, which wire on the winch toggle would connect to the load prong on the arming switch?

I have found some wiring diagrams for the three wire winch controls and for the solenoid, but I'm unclear which wire is the one for arming the switch.

Thanks.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is there some other term for an "arming switch"?

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
"Turns the power on and off to the winch control" switch.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
According to this email response from WARN:

"On the older 3 wire system the white was the hot feed to the remote and the green was power-in activation while the black was power-out activation."

and the dwg below - that was labeled "WARN 8000 control circuit" (and also included a footnote stating "WARN 8000 remote control circuit shown, but all WARN remotes use the same wiring":

You must be registered for see images attach

So, it would seem that the white lead will be the hot wire.

As a bonus, I stumbled across this homemade diagram. It was done by a guy who had just successfully completed the modification you are looking to do:

You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like a valid wiring diagram to me. I especially appreciated the pilot light - to alert the operator that the system was powered up.

Finally, and I hope I don't sound preachy; When you are up to your ******* in alligators, you'll want this system to operate as designed. The success/failure and dependability of this modification will mostly hinge on the attention to detail paid during the initial fabrication. It will take more time and money, but be sure to use good engineering/electrical wiring practices like:

Using the correct gauge conductors for the new wiring runs (if necessary, spec the next biggest AWG size to accommodate for the increase in length)

Properly routing, sheathing and supporting the added cable runs - also, use rubber grommets at any steel penetration points.

Securely fastening and weather-proofing any associated mechanical components (e.g control boxes, switches, lamp bases, etc)

Using soldered ring - not fork terminals at any wire terminations/connections/splices (try to avoid the use of solderless, crimped-on connectors).

Using lock washers at any threaded terminal connectors.

Good luck. I am sure you'll do a professional installation. Please show us some images when you finish. I am planning a similar system for my truck. Also, I am considering taking it one step further - interfacing a wireless remote. Check this out:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/show...-you-holler-Wireless-winch-control-setup-Warn

Last edited:

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I was going to do that mode but never did because the warn controller reaches into the cab no problem. what I did was get another plug like the one on the winch, mount it in the cab and wire it to the other plug then I could plug the controller in either location. highdesertranger

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Install done. Forgot the arm light. Will put one in later. The ashtray would close when I tried to use the toggle up and down, so i turned it 90°, now the switch works side to side. I also cut the face off the controller and mounted it with the switch. Works just like i had hoped.

Unfortunately the inside of the ashtray is scratched all to hell which did not really stand out until I took pictures. I'll probably repaint the blue part when I install the arm indicator light.

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns