How is everyone making their wiring look not a mess under the hood.?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Been tracing wires as to figure out what is what on my grandfather’s old 80 c20. Along with trying to figure where I’m going to mount relays and run wiring when I upgrade the headlights. Some of the wiring is in factory loom some is just all over the place. Been able to figure out a lot of the unhooked mystery wires thanks to previous posts in this forum. Was thinking about just getting larger loom and place the factory loom inside with the loose added wiring. Since I’ve been known to do things the wrong way as I think differently, and over think. Is this the way to go as I’m trying to do things the right way and not look like a roadside repair.

Oh and what is the best way to put a new grommet for the wiring going through the firewall? Was thinking find one that will fit and slice it where I can get the wire in it and add a dab of silicone on it to help seal it back.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Different sizes of split-loom tubing and a wire gutter along the top/back of the firewall. AFAIK, junkyard is your best bet for the firewall grommet.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Go the extra mile and remove the old split loom, then install new loom with all the wires in one loom. The end result will look better and be easier to work on, not having to deal with a loom inside another loom. If you're not building a show truck and you want nice instead of "correct" the mesh split loom is really nice and comes in several sizes. Do Not get the mesh loom that is not split, it's a pain in the butt.
You got the grommet install correct but ditch the silicone and use butyl rope to seal the grommet. It works great and is easier to remove when you need to make changes in the future.

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I'm STILL in the middle of a complete wiring harness, going on better part of a year now. BUT, I did buy Painless' looming as well. It's a pain to install, but looks great and keeps the wiring protected

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I vote for the mesh split loom. I bought mine from Jeg's. It also works well on vacuum, rubber, and plastic lines. I prefer it over the plastic stuff.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Butyl rope ? Who carries that?
I have some extra sound deadening sheets wonder if I could peel the foil off.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you are talking about adding additional holes in the firewall and need a grommet for that, they make great glands for that. It’s easier to use and looks better than regular grommets. Here is the product I used.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
What exactly are you planning to route through the firewall?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Different sizes of split, braided loom is what I used. If you want a more OE look, regular plastic split loom would do the trick. I did my best to keep things in sub-assemblies in smaller loom and put that inside the larger loom.

You must be registered for see images attach

For a grommet, yes, that will work just fine. Find a hole you already have or drill one and find a grommet that will fit, split it and wrap it around the wires/tuck it into the firewall. I've done that several times without the silicone and never had one come out.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used the split mesh loom as well. Purchased the non split by accident first and it was unusable. Don't mind the loose wires under the wiper pump...I'm almost done wiring the alarm system. Still looking to clean up the engine bay by rerouting the battery lines and maybe some less crusty brake lines. If anyone has advice on how to route the fuel line I'm all ears....I routed it up and over the back of the engine as I was a little concerned of the line getting crushed and igniting in a collision. Then it goes to 3 inches of soft line, then a barbed quick disconnect to the fuel rail.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I tried to find a picture that showed the rewiring of the ‘54 3100 when I did it, but couldn’t find a good one. I used Painless wire loom, came in a box that had all kinds of different diameters. It worked well and was easy to work with. The only thing I wasn’t a fan of was the look- the shiny mesh just didn’t look good in that old engine compartment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod