1983 K5 blazer 6.2 wiring cleanup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’ve owned this blazer since february and I’m just now getting around to tinkering on it. It was originally a 6.2 diesel then a 350, I’m putting in an ls. Anyways, all the diesel wiring had just been cut off, noticed it when I bought it but wiring didn’t scare me so I’ve been cleaning up the wiring all day but there’s some questionable stuff. Sadly the cruise stuff was hacked off right at the firewall so I pulled the interior side off and I’ll keep it. Might attempt to add cruise back one day. I removed all the glow plug stuff, and all the obvious diesel stuff, I’ve still got a big blue and red pair of wires and a big red and yellow pair of wires running to the back, I assume the blue/red is the power window for the tailgate? What’s the red and yellow wires? The red is going into the bulkhead and the yellow is nipped off. I’m trying to clean up as much as I can without removing too much. Removed a total of 12 wire nuts just at the radio.. lol loads of twisted wires and electrical tape so far.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I assume these wires brown, tan, green, pink w black stripe, go to gauges? They’ve all been snipped off and none of the factory gauges were used in the last 350 swap.
You must be registered for see images attach

These are the yellow and red wires. The red one goes into the bulkhead and the yellow has been cut.

This harness has been cut off on the engine side and I’m not positive what it does, but the interior side is connected into the 4 wheel drive light so I’ve left it incase it goes to the tcase.

Here is the blue/red wires and two plugs I don’t know where they go. If it’s diesel related and not needed it needs to be removed. I’ll plug the holes with rubber grommets or something. I know the 4 flat wire is the tail light harness.

In the end, all I need is all the lights to work, a 12v key, and gauges. The wiper wiring has been untouched, I’m just trying to clean up what’s no longer needed. The blazer had a serious parasitic draw when I got it and I hate dead batteries.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The other end of the blue and red are wadded up and tucked in between the hitch and bumper.

The other three wires the blue tan and orange go to the power tailgate?

Edit: the red and yellow do go to a plug by the fuel tank, is red power of some sort and yellow was supposed to go to the gauge? Or opposite of that. I’ll wire in a tbi pump in the future and I’ll have to have a fuel gauge. If I can re use these wires that would be nice.

dertsy

Reaction score
First Name
nicak
Truck Year
Truck Model
c35
Engine Size
Gasoline 1.5L, Four Cylinders in line
anybody know where I can find a wiring outline for a 83 K5 diesel? im most likely must revamp the motor in my venture.

Kodi

Last edited:

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Also, for future reference if anyone’s curious
The red and yellow pair is;
Yellow- Water In Fuel, Red- Fuel Gauge
Smaller four wires
Dark Green- Temp, Tan- Oil pressure, PinkBlackStripe- Glow plug relay? Brown- generator or thermo heater?
No idea for the blue and red pair.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD