engine bay wiring- routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
They are not supposed to be tee'd like that near each other. The sending unit is supposed to be down on left side of block by the filter. The Coolant Temp Sensor is for the TBI system & should be a 2 pinned plug. The temp sending unit is on the side of the block & is usually a single clip-on spade terminal.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I am thinking the "newer" coolant sensor is on the bottom of this pic with a little pig tail ? So I would need to replace sensor to work with new harness.
Thoughts?

a
You must be registered for see images attach
I believe you would. What does the harness plug look like??

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So this is coolant sensor correct? (2nd pic) between 1st and 2nd cyl on the drivers side the new harness has a single flat "female" plug so a new sensor with a single spade would be correct. I think there is also one on top of the manifold (1st pic) with short pig tail. I would like to delete this one on top is that possible
So this is a late 80s early 90s motor. Its a mix of stuff that I am trying to clean up. I would like to have the pressure sensor for a gauge that "twin" unit location would not be good is that what I am hearing??

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
My stock gauge (oil press) sensor is right behind the distributor as yours is shown. I added a 'T' and a switch type sensor; just as you have in the picture. The 'T' switch goes to a Mallory Sonalert under the dash and screams bloody murder when the oil pressure is below 10 psi so I only hear it just before cranking.

To clarify, my '73 originally had the mechanical oil pressure line there so, when I changed to the electrical style that's where I mounted the setup. Never had any problems.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So i would like to just have a temp sensor on the side of the block. So its ok to delete the one on the manifold??

I would prefer to have the stock gauge in the dash be working off the sending unit.
Is there any benefit to keeping the dummy switch connection?

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
so I have both,,,,what is the dummy switch doing there if there is a guage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD