Windshield wiper & washer fluid preferences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well I did a little write up on rebuilding wiper linkage, Chris @Doppleganger did a write up on rebuilding windshield wiper motors but we haven't even so much as touched on fluid or blades. Doing a search I can't even find a thread discussing windshield washer fluid. So I think this should be interesting to see what people like / use. Also if you run different fluid or different blade or brand types in different vehicles you own feel free to include that too. Not looking for advice, just sharing for fun.

So what do you like to use for washer fluid and wiper blades?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So for me when I was young I just ran whatever cheap blue stuff I could get and whatever cheap blades. When I got into working on cars every shop I worked at cheap blue fluid in bulk so I ran that. One of my first solid jobs that I built my carrier skills with was Firestone, they stocked and for many years after that all I ran for blades on all my rigs were Bosch Excel. I stuck with that for a lot of years until an auto parts rep got me to agree to drain my washer fluid and fill it with 20/10. I couldn't believe what I'd been missing. Way better cleaning and great for removing light frost. From that point forward I've run nothing but 20/10 fluid and I keep a few bottles at the shop so folks can get that instead of the cheap blue stuff if they want.

As for the wiper blades I had another parts rep get me to try Bosch Clear Advantage a few years ago which is a beam blade, that I think is only sold wholesale. I have them on all my rigs now. On older vehicles like the square I do think that the traditional frame type blades look the best, but the added rain clearing ability of beam blade is more important to me.

Last edited:

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I use cheap 18'' ANCO blades and they work great. Since 7 years. The 60$ Bosch blades from my Audi need to be changed every two years. I drive my trucks from spring to autumn so I use Meguiars or Surf City Garage glass cleaner in my washer. Cleans the windshield like there is no glass and smells awesome :D.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I used to hate Rain-x but that is now the only washer fluid I use because it keeps my rain-x application going a little longer. Blades I change twice a year usually so I general get what is on sale now. Besides that I like to use a "winter" blade during winter to keep a little more flexibility in the blade and to keep snow from packing in the armature. I used to buy expensive blades but it didn't seem worth it. After trying many brands I have found they generally have about the same life span unless you get the very costly silicon blades.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The last few years I wondered why wiper blades don't last as long as they used to. Then I got to looking at the label on the newer blue stuff, and noticed ethanol in the ingredients.
I reckoned if ethanol destroyed rubber fuel hose, it would also destroy wiper blades.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The last few years I wondered why wiper blades don't last as long as they used to. Then I got to looking at the label on the newer blue stuff, and noticed ethanol in the ingredients.
I reckoned if ethanol destroyed rubber fuel hose, it would also destroy wiper blades.
Any anti-icing or freeze resistant washer fluid is going to have some kind of alcohol in it. Methanol or Ethanol is what's typically used.

Reactions: WFO

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Any anti-icing or freeze resistant washer fluid is going to have some kind of alcohol in it. Methanol or Ethanol is what's typically used.
I know, but before ethanol the blades lasted much longer.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
For fluid I use distilled water with a cup of white vinegar and a few drops of Jet-Dry. I don’t have freezing temps here but a little rubbing alcohol added in would fix that if it was an issue.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I haven't found the 20/20 fluid online, but I did find some 20/10. Same stuff @SirRobyn0?
Yea, that's what I meant last night when I made the post..... IDK what I was thinking but I'll go edit my post to avoid future confusion. If your looking to try it you should be able to find it locally as well.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I just put in the cheap blue stuff with the rainx booster. Works really well for me. It's about time to replace the wipers. About twice a year and I use standard rainx wipers too.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Umm, I'm using boat/rv pressure washer cleaning solution. It's all I had... and I have several jugs scored from doing a moving sale garage cleanup.. (love those cleanout jobs!).

1979 c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rat
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
20-10 in the reservoir and whatever Costco has on sale that month.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I know, but before ethanol the blades lasted much longer.
When I've seen this I assumed it was poorer quality rubber being used on low cost blades. When I switched to the Bosch Clear advantage blades I saw blade life jump back up. I can get a couple years from them provided that I keep them clean. Honestly I have no idea if methanol or ethanol is in 20/10 washer fluid I use.

Ok I just did a little quick reading and I guess the highly toxic nature of methanol has caused some manufactures to switch to ethanol in washer fluid. My personal opinion and I'm not try to switch subjects or start an argument, but I think the whole ethanol damages rubber is over rated. IMO Guys have fuel lines spring a leak or leaks or come apart in a 40 year old truck and I think time is more to blame than the ethanol in the fuel. With that said if your more comfortable with methanol in your washer fluid some manufactures appear to still use it. And certainly there are washer fluids without freeze protection that have no alcohol at all in it, and a guy could add whatever he wanted to it as well.

I don't have the time right now but if there is enough interest I will research which manufactures are using methanol and which use ethanol and try to put together a list of which manufactures use which. I need at least a couple folks to say that they'd like the information for it to be worth what will likely be a couple hours research.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've been using the Rain-X fluid for 20 years. It's the bee's knees, I'll never go back to blue.

I buy wipers based on looks. I like a single, sprung blade, but I don't like the big and bulky looks of some of them. I don't have a favorite brand because it seems like they are always changing their designs and mounting systems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD