Windshield wiper & washer fluid preferences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
For fluid I use distilled water with a cup of white vinegar and a few drops of Jet-Dry. I don’t have freezing temps here but a little rubbing alcohol added in would fix that if it was an issue.
I've heard of home brew washer fluid and read a little bit about. I've never heard of adding jet dry and would be curious what purpose that serves. And I assume that's 1 gallon of distilled water? And why isn't there some kind of soap or does the Jet-Dry serve that purpose. IDK if I'd try it myself, I might, but I'm pretty entrenched in the 20/10 thing.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I use distilled water to avoid the minerals our tap water contains. Many areas have decent quality tap water but around here it tests at 32 gpg hardness, which is three times what is considered hard water. The calcium deposits in tap water can foul the spray nozzles and leave spots on the paint.

No need for soap, vinegar acts as the cleaning agent. Google vinegar uses and you’ll find its pretty amazing stuff. It has multiple uses for household cleaning, works awesome as a weed killer, (better than Roundup) but is mild enough to be used as a common food ingredient. A cup of it is enough for in-vehicle mixing, but if I’m mixing up a gallon I’ll add two cups.

Jet-Dry is used to break the surface tension of the water for quicker drying and an added layer of prevention against spots.

I’ve been using this home brew for decades and it works well for me. Give it a try, it’s a cheap and easy life hack.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've looked into the home made washer fluids, and they pretty much all use white vinegar.
I really don't want to use vinegar because it's slightly corrosive.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I use distilled water to avoid the minerals our tap water contains. Many areas have decent quality tap water but around here it tests at 32 gpg hardness, which is three times what is considered hard water. The calcium deposits in tap water can foul the spray nozzles and leave spots on the paint.

No need for soap, vinegar acts as the cleaning agent. Google vinegar uses and you’ll find its pretty amazing stuff. It has multiple uses for household cleaning, works awesome as a weed killer, (better than Roundup) but is mild enough to be used as a common food ingredient. A cup of it is enough for in-vehicle mixing, but if I’m mixing up a gallon I’ll add two cups.

Jet-Dry is used to break the surface tension of the water for quicker drying and an added layer of prevention against spots.

I’ve been using this home brew for decades and it works well for me. Give it a try, it’s a cheap and easy life hack.
Thanks for that info. I've been using vinegar for household surface cleaner for about a decade now, I guess I just didn't think about how it would work on a windshield and not need soap, when it works fine on my bathroom mirror.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD