windshield wiper motor heating up??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I can use my windshield wipers for 5 min or less and then they move slower and slower till they stop like the motor is heating up. I can turn them off for
1 min and it repeats its self. I look at my amp gauge and its close to the red sometimes. Pulling lots of amp?

Any Ideas?? thanks

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
probably shot. I am surprised it hasn't blown the fuse. You could check the connections but a hew wiper motor is probably needed.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I look at my amp gauge and its close to the red sometimes. Pulling lots of amp?

Yep, if the meter shows an increase of more than 5 amps - with the wipers on high and the blades sweeping across dry glass - the circuit is pulling too much. The problem is determining whether it is an electrical issue or a mechanical one. Here is the basic diagnostic:

If the jump in amp load is higher than about 5, pull your arms/blades off the glass. Run the wipers on high and again note the increase in load.

If it is minimal - below 5 amps - replace the blades. No improvement, disconnect the wiper linkage from the motor's crank arm and run them again.

Noticeable improvement means binding somewhere in the linkage. Locate and repair.

No improvement indicates an electrical problem within the wiper motor. Check the armature for excessive end play and shorting/grounding of the windings. Repair or replace the motor assembly as necessary.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I look at my amp gauge and its close to the red sometimes. Pulling lots of amp?

Yep, if the meter shows an increase of more than 5 amps - with the wipers on high and the blades sweeping across dry glass - the circuit is pulling too much. The problem is determining whether it is an electrical issue or a mechanical one. Here is the basic diagnostic:

If the jump in amp load is higher than about 5, pull your arms/blades off the glass. Run the wipers on high and again note the increase in load.

If it is minimal - below 5 amps - replace the blades. No improvement, disconnect the wiper linkage from the motor's crank arm and run them again.

Noticeable improvement means binding somewhere in the linkage. Locate and repair.

No improvement indicates an electrical problem within the wiper motor. Check the armature for excessive end play and shorting/grounding of the windings. Repair or replace the motor assembly as necessary.

Very nice diagnostic advice!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
While I would like to take credit for that diagnostic - I can't.
It is straight from the GM service manual (and somewhat paraphrased):

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
My wipers basically acted the same as the op. I tbought at first it was the wiper control module (located under the dash close to the steering column). Turns out after replacing the module, it wasn't the issue at all. Module was returned, and I ended up buying a new wiper motor from Autozone. Total price was $45 after giving them the old worn out motor for the $10 core fee refund. Wipers work great now.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Seems to me that the most common symptom of a failing pulse wiper module is that the wipers go renegade. They will occasionally start up and make a couple of sweeps of their own accord. It can happen without even touching the switch (as long as the key is in either RUN or ACC). If the ignition switch is in either of those positions, the hot lead to the wiper is energized. At that point, all it takes is an inadvertent stray ground path in the negative side of one of the winding leads - and they are off to the races.

I have a bad habit of setting tools and parts on the windshield while working under the hood. Naturally, these things are resting on the wiper arms/blades. More than a couple of times - with me all alone in the garage in the middle of the night - the dead silence is shattered by the sound of handfuls of parts and tools getting swept off the windshield and smashing to the concrete floor.

It isn't enough to make you crap yourself, but you do quickly stand up and take notice. Plus some things don't survive the fall. Those wiper arms are strong and can toss aside an alternator like a catapult.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Thanks everyone. Im going to replace motor first. :cheers: