Has anyone relocated windshield wiper motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sqhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cheyenne
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom k10
Engine Size
I’m looking to clean up my firewall. Has anyone found any kits or have any ideas on how to relocate the windshield wiper motor on a squarebody. Mines an 85 k10.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Instead of trying to redesign the wiper system, why not design and build a cover that will hide everything......

sqhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cheyenne
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom k10
Engine Size
this might be a chose between "wipers" and "clean firewall" kind of a situation....
Instead of trying to redesign the wiper system, why not design and build a cover that will hide everything......
That may be the route I have to take. I was just hoping to keep it all clean, but that is probably the route I will end up with.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I saw someone online do a Japanese motor swap - much smaller and easier to cover. New enough I would bet there is a stock cover for it.

There will be plenty of fabbing and cobbing to do it and if you find one that fits, then controlling it will be the next circus.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I wasn't able to hide the wiper motor but I did replace it with a cleaner looking small unit that is 2 speed and variable delay. Also got rid of the cheesy mechanical washer pump and replaced it with an electric pump inside the washer fluid bottle.

ETA: If I would have taken the time to paint the bracketry and motor housing with the body color it would blend in well. Also I put the wiring in a cloth loom and it will tuck behind the brake booster brace nicely.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sqhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cheyenne
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom k10
Engine Size
I wasn't able to hide the wiper motor but I did replace it with a cleaner looking small unit that is 2 speed and variable delay. Also got rid of the cheesy mechanical washer pump and replaced it with an electric pump inside the washer fluid bottle.

ETA: If I would have taken the time to paint the bracketry and motor housing with the body color it would blend in well. Also I put the wiring in a cloth loom and it will tuck behind the brake booster brace nicely.

That looks good. I like that idea. Mine is the big clumsy looking one. That looks much cleaner. Can I ask what brand that is?

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
What if you used one and the arms from a 67 72 c10. There mounted inside the firewall.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
That looks good. I like that idea. Mine is the big clumsy looking one. That looks much cleaner. Can I ask what brand that is?
This one is Newport Engineering, when I was researching there was one other company that had a far greater looking system and great factory looking switches but I forgot their name because they were significantly more expensive.

Here's how the switch ended up:
The company sells an adapter to mount their switch in the dash but I just altered the factory switch by cutting it up and adding a thin piece of steel to make it more stable.

I drilled out the slot where the old switch was and mounted in the new rotary knob, instead of sliding left and right it just turns clockwise.

From 12 o’clock to 4 is the delay adjustment range, then one click to 5 O'clock for slow, and another to 6 O'clock for fast.

sqhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cheyenne
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom k10
Engine Size
This one is Newport Engineering, when I was researching there was one other company that had a far greater looking system and great factory looking switches but I forgot their name because they were significantly more expensive.

Here's how the switch ended up:
The company sells an adapter to mount their switch in the dash but I just altered the factory switch by cutting it up and adding a thin piece of steel to make it more stable.

I drilled out the slot where the old switch was and mounted in the new rotary knob, instead of sliding left and right it just turns clockwise.

From 12 o’clock to 4 is the delay adjustment range, then one click to 5 O'clock for slow, and another to 6 O'clock for fast.
Thank you for all the good information. Very helpful

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1