Windshield wiper stalk problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Oh yea no doubt about it majority of it everything was original when I got the truck. But I’d rather replace it all myself and do it right than deal with someone else’s Hackery. So the wiper motor sounds like the issue?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Oh yea no doubt about it majority of it everything was original when I got the truck. But I’d rather replace it all myself and do it right than deal with someone else’s Hackery. So the wiper motor sounds like the issue?
No.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Oh… than uh what could be the issue?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Looks like Taylor says no, but I say yes it is the wiper motor. Here's my thought.

Like I said in my first post, based on the failed park switch at the shop the first thing we'd do is replace the motor and see how much that fixes. That will fix the park issue, but it may or may not fix the delay issue. If at all possible get a WIA brand, new replacement. If you can't get one of those and have to get a reman unit, don't get a cardone, the trouble is cardone makes a lot of the "house" brand remaned wiper motors. Honestly if you can't get a WIA unit locally order it off amazon or somewhere else online.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I recently bought a WAI motor from partsgeek.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
WIA is about $80 off partsgeek. I’ll look into it some more if that seems to be the issue.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
WIA is about $80 off partsgeek. I’ll look into it some more if that seems to be the issue.
you can use the procedures I posted earlier to troubleshoot. but if I were a betting man, I'd put a little cash on the motor being all or some of your problem.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I'm going through a similar troubleshooting process with my truck. I only have one speed and originally it was very slow and would not stop at the bottom. I swapped in the WAI motor and cleaned up the threads where the motor grounds. I now have a decent low speed and it parks like it should. But I only get one click on the multifunction stalk so I have bought a new wiper switch, turn signal canceling cam, ignition switch, lock cylinder, etc. If I have to dig that deep in the column to get to the wiper switch I might as well replace everything else while I'm in there.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Looks like Taylor says no, but I say yes it is the wiper motor. Here's my thought.

Like I said in my first post, based on the failed park switch at the shop the first thing we'd do is replace the motor and see how much that fixes. That will fix the park issue, but it may or may not fix the delay issue. If at all possible get a WIA brand, new replacement. If you can't get one of those and have to get a reman unit, don't get a cardone, the trouble is cardone makes a lot of the "house" brand remaned wiper motors. Honestly if you can't get a WIA unit locally order it off amazon or somewhere else online.
I was saying no because I didnt like his logical flow, you guys say its probably motor, that may be, buti still advise determinign that is the true issue. for example should peel it off, check that ground, check the linkage check under the cap etc etc

86 SCOTTSDALE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Armand
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had same issue with parking wipers and it was the contacts for the park switch connector. Unplugged connector, cleaned contacts at end of wire, plugged back in and problem gone.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
For what it's worth low speed and park were resolved with a new wiper motor and cleaning up the threads where the motor grounds. I replaced the wiper switch inside the column yesterday and now have low AND high speeds.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
For what it's worth low speed and park were resolved with a new wiper motor and cleaning up the threads where the motor grounds. I replaced the wiper switch inside the column yesterday and now have low AND high speeds.
Well IDK if the OP is still watching this thread or if he bought or installed a new wiper motor, but I for one am glad to hear your report! It's not much fun digging around in these steering columns, but well worth it to get properly functioning wipers.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’ve been reading the posts but wipers are least of my worries right now lol. Truck isn’t even driveable. Steering is having problems. I posted on the other thread about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20