Which wire do I need to tap into?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Hey guys, I am attempting to wire in a kill switch to the starter solenoid, but needed some opinions first. Which of these wires from the ignition switch are of interest? I was leaning towards that yellow one, but I am not sure.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, a side note..
what’s up with these two plugs that are undone? Nothing noticeable with them unplugged?? Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey guys, I am attempting to wire in a kill switch to the starter solenoid, but needed some opinions first. Which of these wires from the ignition switch are of interest? I was leaning towards that yellow one, but I am not sure.

Also, a side note..
what’s up with these two plugs that are undone? Nothing noticeable with them unplugged?? Thanks!

That one hanging there with the purple and yellow wires is supposed to plug into your neutral safety switch on the column, which can also be seen in your photo. Now, with that unplugged, your truck should not be able to start. Is there a little jumper wire of sorts stuck into the plug?

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
That one hanging there with the purple and yellow wires is supposed to plug into your neutral safety switch on the column, which can also be seen in your photo. Now, with that unplugged, your truck should not be able to start. Is there a little jumper wire of sorts stuck into the plug?

I knew it was for neutral safety, but I see no jumpers. I am so confused... unless this buckle completes the function?

This is a 79 Sierra if it helps.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I knew it was for neutral safety, but I see no jumpers. I am so confused... unless this buckle completes the function?

This is a 79 Sierra if it helps.

Yeah, that is what enables the truck to start in park and neutral only. It only makes contact between those two terminals when the shifter is in those two positions. With that connector just dangling, the truck should not start, unless someone has modified the wiring elsewhere. The connector that's still plugged in should be for the reverse lights.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
always thought about doing something like this, especially for my Jimmy that'll be topless in the summers. let me know how it goes!

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Yeah, that is what enables the truck to start in park and neutral only. It only makes contact between those two terminals when the shifter is in those two positions. With that connector just dangling, the truck should not start, unless someone has modified the wiring elsewhere. The connector that's still plugged in should be for the reverse lights.

Well to add to the confusion... it definitely fires, just tested it for giggles and grins haha.

just stripped the tape from the harness and see nothing ridiculous.

No splices or anything. That yellow wire comes all the way from the ignition switch, down the harness and is just hanging out here not hooked to the neutral safety switch at all.

Last edited:

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
So I guess I’m not too concerned about the neutral safety dealio, I just don’t know what to do about my kill switches.. I really wanted to cut power to the starter. Any other ideas? I’m not a fan of cutting spark because the engine will still crank and I would rather not lead a potential thief on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So I guess I’m not too concerned about the neutral safety dealio, I just don’t know what to do about my kill switches.. I really wanted to cut power to the starter. Any other ideas? I’m not a fan of cutting spark because the engine will still crank and I would rather not lead a potential thief on.

The neutral safety deal is the key though. Normally you could just run a switch on that circuit, but it's already been bypassed somewhere along the line apparently.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, the purple wire should still feed the starter solenoid. You will need to find where the previous owner cut into the wires and by-passed the neutral safety switch. What ever color wire was used from the ignition switch to the starter is where you need to add a hidden cut off switch.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Well snap. I’ve been looking for some time and couldn’t find anything. I think I will drop the column down and continue my search. Nothing obvious is going on, I’m lost. Thank you all for the info, I will let you all know what I find after I get a better view of what’s happening on top of the column.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I guess I'm not clear on your question. What are you looking for under there? Are you trying to find the wire you should be cutting off with the kill switch? I would recommend you put a SPDT relay that is actuated by a kill switch somewhere and cuts both the ignition and starter actuation signal. That way even if someone manually jumps the starter solenoid it wont start. I'd run the in/out on the NC side and leave the NO side empty.. that way if you have a relay failure it fails to not killed so you are less likely to get stranded due to a relay failure. Both the start and ignition feed should be in the same area near the fuse block.

Another option is to actually have a secondary starter relay that is mounted in a hidden location and mount it in-line before the solenoid that is mounted on the starter. Then you would be killing the actual power to the starter instead of just the start signal. It also keeps the stock wiring in the original condition under the dash.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I got a long lost neutral safety somewhere guys. I just tried cranking it in gear and the key won’t roll forward unless I am in Park or neutral... this is strange considering I left the stock safety switch unplugged... I think I am discovering someone else’s anti theft attempt... I have not found any switches, I just have a hidden switch somewhere...

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Just dropped the column, there is nothing going on with any jumper wires. All the wires go down the harness.

What is this deal on the left side of the column up under the dash?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You are not supposed to be able to roll forward in anything but park or neutral.As for what you are trying to do? Figure out? Whatever there are a bunch of us that don't understand your goal.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
You are not supposed to be able to roll forward in anything but park or neutral.As for what you are trying to do? Figure out? Whatever there are a bunch of us that don't understand your goal.

The goal is to find this neutral safety switch or so I can tie a kill switch into the wire. I can’t start the truck in gear which tells me there is some type of safety. I will probably end up doing what Bextreme04 suggested since I can’t find the safety switch that is hidden somewhere in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88