1-wire alternator wire when installing an isolator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arizona Ranger K5

Reaction score
First Name
Harper
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado package
Engine Size
350/TH350/NP208/GM12/4.56
Hey guys, after reading the majority of the comments in all the isolator posts, i didn't see an answer to my question, so here it is. I've installed a Victron Energy Argodiode 100A isolator and an auxiliary battery. Directions are fairly clear and I'm probably over thinking this, There is a wire that I need to add from the B+ terminal to the input stud on the isolator, but the B+ wire that is originally on the alternator that goes to the ignition (I believe) does that stay on the B+ terminal on the alternator or does it get rerouted through the isolator? I'm inclined to believe that is stays as is. Am I correct? Note: I hate doing wiring, but I'm not paying someone to do something I can do myself anymore.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
look at the pic and link below. Option 2 in the link. Does this look like what your trying to do? The pic shows one input and 2 outputs just like your isolator.

Isolator

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Do you have your wiring instructions for your isolator? They all do not all wire the same. The one @Camar068 has posted does not need a trigger wire I've never seen one without a trigger wire. The one Camar068 has posted is dirt simple and too cool.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Do you have your wiring instructions for your isolator? They all do not all wire the same. The one @Camar068 has posted does not need a trigger wire I've never seen one without a trigger wire. The one Camar068 has posted is dirt simple and too cool.
not knowing, I googled. The pic compares to the website for the model description he said he purchased. One input, 2 isolated outputs.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Some isolators use a zener diode to make the current only flow in one direction, those do not need a trigger wire. But are more limited in function as there is no way to bridge the two, as is done in RV's that have an emergency start button. No way to manually cut one off with a switch either.

Arizona Ranger K5

Reaction score
First Name
Harper
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado package
Engine Size
350/TH350/NP208/GM12/4.56
Appreciate the response and info. I ran an 8ga wire from the B+ terminal on the alternator to the input stud on the inverter. I left the existing wiring on the B+ terminal in place. Both batteries are connected with new battery cables to the inverter. The starter/old positive cable is ran from the starter battery stud on the inverter to the starter. It starts just fine, both batteries are being charged at 14.6v.
You must be registered for see images

I'm putting emergency lights on the K5 and don't want to drain the starter battery, so I don't want to bridge them.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Appreciate the response and info. I ran an 8ga wire from the B+ terminal on the alternator to the input stud on the inverter. I left the existing wiring on the B+ terminal in place. Both batteries are connected with new battery cables to the inverter. The starter/old positive cable is ran from the starter battery stud on the inverter to the starter. It starts just fine, both batteries are being charged at 14.6v.
You must be registered for see images
cool beans. Made for a discussion at work about what else it could be used for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly