Edelbrock 660 electric choke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbrown5385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Can anyone explain how the electric choke works on the Edelbrock 660 in regards to starting after the trucks already been running and driven. Mine is not wired in and restarting the truck tends to be a pain in the ass. Also is there a way to test it to make sure it’s actually working before or after it’s wired in?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Can anyone explain how the electric choke works on the Edelbrock 660 in regards to starting after the trucks already been running and driven. Mine is not wired in and restarting the truck tends to be a pain in the ass. Also is there a way to test it to make sure it’s actually working before or after it’s wired in?
ASV2? if its a two wire choke the choke heater is to help it open faster than if it wasnt hooked up. when warm your engine still benefits from a closed choke, but as soon as its running its actually not needing it much if at all, the heater ensures it props open. without it im sure its going to run rich for a bit until it warms enough from exhaust/thermal transfer through metal up to the mechanism and then it will open

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Can use an ohm meter, check for complete circuit or power it up should be able to detect heat with finger.

cbrown5385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Sorry I meant to add this with that.

cbrown5385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Would it not being hooked cause an issue when starting after it’s already been driven I feel like I am constantly to stomping on the throttle while cranking it to get it running.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That style choke needs power and ground period. If adjusted properly for cold start will have too much choke when warm and Visa Versa. You need to do some diagnosing as I suggested previously. Should be an index mark on the stat, start there after confirming it works.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Would it not being hooked cause an issue when starting after it’s already been driven I feel like I am constantly to stomping on the throttle while cranking it to get it running.
you could also have fuel drain back (separate issue entirely) or you could be looking at a vapor lock one too

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Simply look at the choke plate before starting a warm engine. It should be fully open.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Should have looked where you lived before I hit the quote button and started a post. But too late, loosen the choke thermostat with car cold or cool. Yes cold or cool. Now hold the throttle open and rotate the choke tstat until the choke is just fully open,not cranked open, just open. Now it may be harder to start cold,and may not drive well for a minute or 2 after starting,but see if your hard start hot goes away if so,you've found the problem. Now at this point you need to decide if you can live with the cold drivabilty,if so you're done. If not we can tell you how to wire a choke properly. I tend to run no choke,the choke causes an over rich condition which contaminates oil,and washes the oil off the cylinder walls. Pick your poison pump the throttle twice and keep it running with the throttle for a minute but minimize cylinder wear or jump in push the pedal once and go.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
nvm

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
When you hold the gas pedal down it holds the choke plate open,when you let back off the choke plate closes again.If you are running with no electric power to the choke element I'm betting your choke never opens. I'd much prefer one that never closed to one that never opens.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
nvm

Last edited:

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The bi-metallic spring doesn’t care if it expands from electric heat or heat soak from the engine. Which coincidentally is a perfect situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paz4x4