Edelbrock electric choke question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have an older EB carb with Electric choke, I think a 1406 but not 100% certain. It's 10 plus years old. My question is, is there an adjustment to control how quickly one can shut the choke off? I know as it is warming/warmed up you can pump the throttle quickly to shut it off. However on my truck this will not work until the engine temp is close to 140-150 degrees. On days like today when it's 40-50 degrees outside I still have to let it run for longer than I should before I can get the choke off. To me on a warmer day, once it's been on choke for a few minutes it isn't needed.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
In colder climates, it's not unusual for the choke to need seasonal adjustments. All electric choles are adjustable, no matter the brand.. First, with engine running, check for voltage at the choke terminal, should be 12 volts. If the choke has 2 terminals, one of them must be grounded. If no voltage is present, "back track" the wire to determine it's origin and make necessary repairs to restore voltage. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse.

If voltage is present, mark the choke cover's position and loosen the 3 screws (do no remove) holding the cover in place. Determine the direction that opens the choke and rotate the cover about 1/8" from it's original position. Tighten the screws and operate the vehicle a few days..

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks I appreciate the info.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There is a fast idle cam and choke pull-off that can be adjusted.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The truck runs great, the only issue I have is the electric choke won't shut off until the temps gets pretty high. I assume that is the choke pull off? I looked at a few videos and everyone seems to say loosening the three screws on the black part of the choke and turning it counterclockwise (if looking from the front passenger fender) to cause the choke to shut off sooner.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
2nd post already explained how to diagnose and adjust it.

Reactions: WFO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod