Edelbrock Adapter questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I can't remember the part number off hand but I'll look later on in my carb manual. I know I couldn't get mine to seal to the intake without it and couldn't stop the vacuum leak.
Edelbrock also suggests a fuel pressure regulator. I put one on my OT car and it cured some of the stumble.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I checked the part # and it's Edelbrock Carburetor Adapter # 2732. I had problems getting it to seal to the Edelbrock intake. I called their help line and was told I would never get it to seal without one. This was several years ago.
The book that came with my 1406 when I purchased it, also says fuel pressure no higher than 6psi at idle or a fuel pressure regulator is needed.
I put a Holley FPR on mine and set it at 5.5 psi and its been fine for the several years that it has been on there.

maybe not the answer to your problem, but just issues I went through with one.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I checked the part # and it's Edelbrock Carburetor Adapter # 2732. I had problems getting it to seal to the Edelbrock intake. I called their help line and was told I would never get it to seal without one. This was several years ago.
The book that came with my 1406 when I purchased it, also says fuel pressure no higher than 6psi at idle or a fuel pressure regulator is needed.
I put a Holley FPR on mine and set it at 5.5 psi and its been fine for the several years that it has been on there.

Did you check your fuel pressure first,to see if you had excessive fuel pressure? Did you install #2732 and install the regulator at the same time?

Last edited:

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I did the adapter plate first. I did the regulator a couple of years later as I will still struggling with idle issues. I actually saw about the FPR in a YouTube video, and checked the carb book and sure enough it was in there about a regulator.

I don't remember exactly what my fuel pressure was before but I think it was 8 or 9psi.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Oh and the car has a mechanical fuel pump on it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I did the adapter plate first. I did the regulator a couple of years later as I will still struggling with idle issues. I actually saw about the FPR in a YouTube video, and checked the carb book and sure enough it was in there about a regulator.

I don't remember exactly what my fuel pressure was before but I think it was 8 or 9psi.
Cool that was the right order. What pump did you have? Original? 2 port? 3 port? But right on, verify the problem,fix the problem,don't change parts and cross fingers.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
This was all on my 1973 AMC Javelin with a 360 V8. I believe it's a 3 port but I would have to look. The car runs pretty good now so I just leave it alone. I check the gauge on the regulator every once in awhile to make sure it hasn't wandered.
I'm sure it's not the original pump, but I don't know what brand it is.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
This was all on my 1973 AMC Javelin with a 360 V8. I believe it's a 3 port but I would have to look. The car runs pretty good now so I just leave it alone. I check the gauge on the regulator every once in awhile to make sure it hasn't wandered.
I'm sure it's not the original pump, but I don't know what brand it is.
Ahhhh I was thinking Small Block Chevy. AMC pumps I have no idea how they are configured.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
It's the same as any other mechanical pump. Could even be a GM pump, AMC sourced parts from all manufacturers. It has a GM distributor, Ford starter and a Chrysler transmission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's the same as any other mechanical pump. Could even be a GM pump, AMC sourced parts from all manufacturers. It has a GM distributor, Ford starter and a Chrysler transmission.
All mechanical pumps are not the same,they don't all bypass they don't all run the same fuel pressure etc etc. Small block Chevy pumps aren't always the same year to year. Thus my comment on IDK how AMC pumps are set up. As a matter if fact,you don't know without looking if it's a 3 port or a 2 port and you've seen it. Now just for fun I'll bet you 100.00 bucks,that pump won't bolt to and work on a 1986 Chevy K series, you wanna take that bet? The offer is there.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Didn't say it would, and didn't say it was the same, and didn't say it would fit a chevy. I don't spend every waking minute looking at my car's parts. All this with the carb took place at least 5 years ago.

I was just trying to help you out in case the problem I had was the same as yours. An Edelbrock 1406 carb is an Edelbrock 1406 carb no matter what vehicle it's installed on.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
All I said was IDK about AMC pumps,your the one who said they are all the same.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Obviously you are much smarter than I am. A fuel pump pumps fuel. As long as it's the right one for my application, I use it.

If my info helps fine if not, don't worry about it.

Been playing with farm equipment, cars and trucks for 50 years, I have done ok so far.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Was that the flat steel adapter plate? Some Edelbrock manifolds are designed to use a spread bore or a square bore carb, that flat plate is needed to seal it properly, as you found out.

Those flat plates are also useful as a carb isolator. I've used them many times even when they aren't needed for fitment, because I find that having the plate (which means 2 gaskets) helps keep engine heat from transferring to the carb. A couple times I have even used two of those plates (three gaskets) as well. It adds a little plenum volume too, which *can* possibly help out the fuel mixture. But that's a whole other can of worms that I'm not qualified to open up.

Copakekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
You're right, it's that flat piece of steel that you need 2 gaskets for. When I initially purchased my carb (I purchased it directly from Edelbrock), I couldn't get it to seal. I called their Tech Line and was told no way would it seal without the plate, and the sales person should have told me. I put the plate on and it solved my vacuum leak problem.

I apparently opened a can of worms also. I was just trying to put out there the issue I had with the same model carb on another vehicle, to a person who was asking for help. It turned into me finding out who was the smartest person in the room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod