Which wire do I need to tap into?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Your top pic is the ignition switch. The bottom pic see the white switch in the background with 2 terminals that don't have wires on them.There you are.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Your top pic is the ignition switch. The bottom pic see the white switch in the background with 2 terminals that don't have wires on them.There you are.

Heck yeah, thank you!!! So what the heck is the idea behind this?? And do I dare tap into it with a switch?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Check it with a light like I said. Then pull that wire back out of the switch find the wire that should be there plug it back in. The wire you removed run it to a switch, the other end off the wire you plugged back in goes to the other side of the switch. Don't buy a cheap switch. But that's all u need to do. I would do just a switch. No relay.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Check it with a light like I said. Then pull that wire back out of the switch find the wire that should be there plug it back in. The wire you removed run it to a switch, the other end off the wire you plugged back in goes to the other side of the switch. Don't buy a cheap switch. But that's all u need to do. I would do just a switch. No relay.

Thank you thank you thank you, good eye. I will let you know what I find tomorrow.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just looked at his pics better, he has a neutral safety switch. It has been bypassed. I'm thinking the pulled the plug off the ns switch and pulled the wire from the starter ignition switch pigtail and moved the ns wire there, which would be a clean way of doing it.

I think you are on to something here.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
while on the topic, newer automatic (maybe 81+) squares don't have the NSS circuit because the ignition tumbler is gated to the shifter, correct? meaning it wont allow the key to roll to the start position unless in park or neutral...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
while on the topic, newer automatic (maybe 81+) squares don't have the NSS circuit because the ignition tumbler is gated to the shifter, correct? meaning it wont allow the key to roll to the start position unless in park or neutral...
I was thinking the same thing.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
This may be a different column, there is nothing pure to this truck. The chassis is a heavy half which coordinates with the vin tag with stock rivets on the cab... other than that this thing is a Frankenstein truck.

So since there is no neutral safety, any ideas on this kill switch? Lol.

Thank you guys, I would have never figured this out on my own.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Check the same wire we were talking last night. The last 2 posts weren't even about your year or truck. Probe where the purple wire is on my switch.if it flashes put your switch on it.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Having to scroll thru that FULL SIZE PHOTO in your signature block is very annoying...just saying. :)

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I would just trace the wire out from the starter solenoid and add a switch inline to it wherever you can find a good spot to hide it.
I have had 2 trucks over the years that were heavily modified with wiring problems. It's not fun for sure.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
[Heck yeah, thank you!!! So what the heck is the idea behind this?? And do I dare tap into it with a switch?[/QUOTE]

You were correct, both of these wires flash my tester while starting the truck. I’ll plug it in and go from there. Thank you.
You must be registered for see images attach

I was thinking that you were looking at something else when you were referring to the white switch with no terminals hooked to it yesterday. Sounds like you were referencing my stock safety switch as I have found nothing under the dash resembling what I thought you meant lol.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
[Heck yeah, thank you!!! So what the heck is the idea behind this?? And do I dare tap into it with a switch?

You were correct, both of these wires flash my tester while starting the truck. I’ll plug it in and go from there. Thank you.
You must be registered for see images attach

I was thinking that you were looking at something else when you were referring to the white switch with no terminals hooked to it yesterday. Sounds like you were referencing my stock safety switch as I have found nothing under the dash resembling what I thought you meant lol.

If they both flash, they are connected somewhere... you just haven't found where yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128