wheel bearing trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The wheel moving around and the noises have nothing to do with anything behind the spindle, Unless you are getting the noises while in 4wd only?

Wheel moving around is loose bearings generally or bad ball joints. But if had the spindle all apart to do work its best to put it back together properly :shrug:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Wheel moving around is loose bearings generally or bad ball joints. But if had the spindle all apart to do work its best to put it back together properly :shrug:

Yep I agree. But i dont want to confuse him

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
The wheel moving around and the noises have nothing to do with anything behind the spindle, Unless you are getting the noises while in 4wd only?

It's in 2 Hi and I have manual locking hubs that are in the free position. So, no, I guess the spindle needle bearing is not the issue?

I also don't think it sounds like it would be ball joints. It's not a squeeky sound and no noises are made when I shake the vehicle around.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's in 2 Hi and I have manual locking hubs that are in the free position. So, no, I guess the spindle needle bearing is not the issue?

I also don't think it sounds like it would be ball joints. It's not a squeeky sound and no noises are made when I shake the vehicle around.

Last time fluid in the front diff or transfer case was changed?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok so how exactly did you install the wheel bearings?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

What I mean is: What exact procedure did you use to install/press the bearings into your hubs ?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I loaned a bearing press kit for Oreilly Auto Parts and followed this guys video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEfaL1TkrZg

Yup while his videos aren't "through" it does get the job done. I would say it honestly sounds like 1) You didn't do the spindle bearing correct 2) You didn't torque down the spindle nuts properly.

I would redo those and if the noise still exists then its something else somewhere.

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
Yeah, that's what I guess I'll have to do. Dammit!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I loaned a bearing press kit for Oreilly Auto Parts and followed this guys video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEfaL1TkrZg

If you installed them like him you should be fine and yes 150 ft lbs is about all you can realistically get on that lock nut lol

If the wheel bearings are on and torqued correctly that leaves you with, only the spindle nuts on the back side of the spindle being loose. Which I would suspect is not the issue as it sounds like you've done it right. Or the knuckle ball joints, that could possibly allow wheel movement from side to side or up and down.

The noise may be associated with the brakes ?

MannyDantyla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sbc350/sm365/np205
If you installed them like him you should be fine and yes 150 ft lbs is about all you can realistically get on that lock nut lol

If the wheel bearings are on and torqued correctly that leaves you with, only the spindle nuts on the back side of the spindle being loose. Which I would suspect is not the issue as it sounds like you've done it right. Or the knuckle ball joints, that could possibly allow wheel movement from side to side or up and down.

The noise may be associated with the brakes ?

That makes sense about the ball joints, I see now how that could be the issue.

I took this photo the other day, you can see the ball joints are not in the best of conditions.

You must be registered for see images attach

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That makes sense about the ball joints, I see now how that could be the issue.

I took this photo the other day, you can see the ball joints are not in the best of conditions.

Those look like they might give a bit of noise while turning. Those are the drag link ball joints that move when ever you turn the steering wheel.

This is the knuckle ball joint where buddy has his socket

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Grab all those components underneath there and wiggle them. There should be no play whatsoever and if anything has ANY amount of play it needs replacing.

Put it this way I have no replaced EVERY possible suspension component on the front end of my truck since I had to redo my wheel studs.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
There is one on the top and the bottom of the steering knuckle on both sides of the axle. So 4 in total. These are what the wheels actually pivot from.

If there is play in the wheel it can only come from these ball joints

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is one on the top and the bottom of the steering knuckle on both sides of the axle. So 4 in total. These are what the wheels actually pivot from.

If there is play in the wheel it can only come from these ball joints

Or a bad rag joint.. or bad leaf spring bushings don't ask me how I know :party36:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising