Whats the Formula?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DANIEL THOMSON

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I am hoping that one of you who knows these engines would like to help me spend my money.

I've got 73' Blazer with 12k original miles on the original 350. Its had the smog kit removed, Edelbrock intake manifold and an Edelbrock cam of unknown specifications installed.

Right now my goal is to get all the "bolt on" upgrades completed and assess if I want to stroke the engine for more power in the future. Don't need a lot of power since it will remain a street truck but I would like to have the option of passing other vehicles in traffic...

Without getting into what I think I need, does anyone have a good combination of components that would give me a good boost in low to mid range torque?

Carb, intake, cam, heads, headers...

Edit: forgot to mention it’s 4wd with the granny gear 4sp and 3.07 axles

Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
What do you have for a trans and axle gears? 2wd or 4wd? You want acceleration, i think the quickest bang for the buck, especially if its 2wd would be gears.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Edelbrock Performer intake, upgrade to HEI, headers, 2.5" exhaust . . . scare the bank.

When you get into the engine, prepare yourself. A wise man once told me when I asked, "How fast can you make it go?" He replied, "How much money you got?" True, true.

DANIEL THOMSON

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
What do you have for a trans and axle gears? 2wd or 4wd? You want acceleration, i think the quickest bang for the buck, especially if its 2wd would be gears.

Agreed, gears are a big problem at this point. I think I still need to address the engine, it just doesn’t seem to have the power I’d expect from a 350.

DANIEL THOMSON

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Edelbrock Performer intake, upgrade to HEI, headers, 2.5" exhaust . . . scare the bank.

When you get into the engine, prepare yourself. A wise man once told me when I asked, "How fast can you make it go?" He replied, "How much money you got?" True, true.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it’s worth the hassle to swap out to the vortex heads? It seems like part of the problem with the engine is that it has low compression.

Im not too afraid of spending some money since the truck will be around forever.

DANIEL THOMSON

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Then swap in a Big Block!! Problem solved. Next caller.........Lol :cheers:

Cant argue with those results!

I do however like my antique registration and though it doesn’t mean much in a truck it is a low mileage matching numbers

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Heads/cam/intake/timing chain/maybe oil pump. Would go with aftermarket reputable heads vs trying to find used vortecs. If using low gear of the sm465 makes up for poor diff gearing, kind of

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
If it really does have an aftermarket camshaft installed at 12k miles but it's still a dog, it makes me wonder what is wrong?
Cam timing or valve timing or compression?
A 1973 engine was no slouch but it has **** for cylinder heads.
They all do...

Since you asked, I would;

A: Go over the camshaft install closely. Look for what is messed up because I believe something may be. It may simply be 3.08 though.
B: Based upon your previous statements, you likely will not ever be contented with 3.08. Consider gears more. They are too vital for foundation.
C: Change the cylinder heads or build them. Almost equal to foundation.

:imo: other than that, you're wasting effort trying to go fast.

:mfr_closed1:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
My last truck was a '79 K10 with a smogged down 350. I think it had about 160-190 HP at the crank. I had 33's with 3.08's. Cruised great on the highway, but what a dog off the line especially with the A/C on. For me it was cheaper doing a 3/4 ton axle swap to get 4.10's and a limited slip. I had a lot more acceleration with the lower gears, but was turning almost 3000 RPM at 70 MPH.

I don't think you will be too happy with most mods until you do a gear swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Villano