What was your first Vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I had a 1998 dodge Dakota RT. a 360 in a little mid sized pickup. That sombich would fly.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

One of my friends had one in high school, it's ass was so light he had to keep buying tires for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
One of my friends had one in high school, it's ass was so light he had to keep buying tires for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea it was rough on tires. It would shag ass though. I miss that truck. Drove it for 4 years and moved to OK. Sold it to my neighbor and he totaled it a week later.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That is a ratcheting shifter; a factory ratchet. Pushing forward at an angle only allows the next gear. Release the shifter and it pops back to center to repeat the process. It has a factory reverse lock out.

I didn't know it until someone at the track pointed it out. I had already been racing it 10 years or so before I found out.

I really like it; it has several advantages:

a) Stock looking
b) retains the neutral start switch (required by NHRA) and backup lamps
c) I like pushing forward on the shifter, with my back braced against the seat. A lot of guys in fast cars with the reverse pattern shifter complain that the g forces during launch cause them to accidentally pull the shifter back into the next gear prematurely.
d) I added the PRNDL indication from a '73, so I was able to remove the claptrap backfeed rod (which drove the PRNDL in the cluster and locked the shifter with the column) for additional header clearance. No moving parts.

Thank you.... (...I think...)

;)

K
I"m with you. I'd keep it for sure. In my 64 GMC, that was originally the Big V6 and SM420, the Granny 4 speed, then converted to Muncie 4 speed and 327 small journal w Hust Comp Shifter. Loved it. Then when I got into Auto's I went with the B&M QuickSilver Shifter. I had it fully installed properly. P and N switch. Back up lights which 64 trucks didn't have so that was cool. Then the ratchet lock out so you couldn't miss shift. And Reverse lock out for sure. Never had a problem at all with it. Loved it too. The other features I like about the QuickSilver and the Mega Shift too as a matter of fact, is you can go reverse valve body pattern and they are also 4 speed compatible, not just 3 speed. Quicksilver is what I chose due to the longer stick and being in a truck. Now they make them with taller towers for trucks and they work quite well if you install them right and take the time to cut the base to match your floor.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I had a 1998 dodge Dakota RT. a 360 in a little mid sized pickup. That sombich would fly.

I had a 2000 Dakota quad cab with a 5.9, I thought it would haul ass but the thing was a turd. It was the worse vehicle I ever owned.

My first car was a 86 Mazda 626 I somehow got from my friends older brother. He ruined the transmission so it had first gear only, not even reverse. I was 14 at the time and living in Rural New Mexico so I drove the wheels off that thing everywhere in first gear, one time it did hit 3rd gear somehow and that was a big deal.

My first actual car I legally owned and drove on public roads was a 76 Dodge colt GT I found behind my dads friends house. My dad helped me rebuilt a 1.6 from a donor car and I swapped it to a standard 4 speed trans. Pretty much all the work done to it was by myself when I was 15, it was pretty thrilling the first time I drove it on the highway.

I wish I had time to go get it and get it running right now.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a 2000 Dakota quad cab with a 5.9, I thought it would haul ass but the thing was a turd. It was the worse vehicle I ever owned.

My first car was a 86 Mazda 626 I somehow got from my friends older brother. He ruined the transmission so it had first gear only, not even reverse. I was 14 at the time and living in Rural New Mexico so I drove the wheels off that thing everywhere in first gear, one time it did hit 3rd gear somehow and that was a big deal.

My first actual car I legally owned and drove on public roads was a 76 Dodge colt GT I found behind my dads friends house. My dad helped me rebuilt a 1.6 from a donor car and I swapped it to a standard 4 speed trans. Pretty much all the work done to it was by myself when I was 15, it was pretty thrilling the first time I drove it on the highway.

I wish I had time to go get it and get it running right now.

That sucks. I drove the wheels smooth off that thing and never had a single problem with it

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That sucks. I drove the wheels smooth off that thing and never had a single problem with it

It actually left me stranded within 30 minutes of ownership. I left the dealer and was stopping for Pizza and when I got out all the coolant was on the ground. They towed it back to the dealer, no one in town had an upper radiator hose for it since it had the 5.9 so I actually had to talk them into robbing a upper radiator hose off a Durango with the same engine so I could go home.

Brakes squealed non stop. Everywhere I drove there was a irritating squeeling sound. I changed brakes out, nothing fixed it. I finally noticed the caliper holder had groves worn in it from the brake pads so the caliper was cocked letting the pads constantly drag and rattle around. This was the point I realized this truck was not made well.

The truck randomly started pulling hard to the right, several people including myself tried figuring that one out but I just got used to driving it like that. My favorite was when the brakes went to ****. Out of nowhere it started locking the rear brakes up under normal braking. If you did not feather the brakes and begin stopping early it would lock up the rear tires.

I wont even go into the upper balljoint problems they got recalled for. Weirdest thing is my friend had the exact same truck and never had any issues with it.

Few other things coming to mind as I remember the truck, the clearcoat was pretty much gone after the first year I owned it. The transmission would not downshift at full throttle. A/C quit working after 2 years. It got 10 mpg and had no power. windows quit working. Im sure there is more I am forgeting.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It actually left me stranded within 30 minutes of ownership. I left the dealer and was stopping for Pizza and when I got out all the coolant was on the ground. They towed it back to the dealer, no one in town had an upper radiator hose for it since it had the 5.9 so I actually had to talk them into robbing a upper radiator hose off a Durango with the same engine so I could go home.

Brakes squealed non stop. Everywhere I drove there was a irritating squeeling sound. I changed brakes out, nothing fixed it. I finally noticed the caliper holder had groves worn in it from the brake pads so the caliper was cocked letting the pads constantly drag and rattle around. This was the point I realized this truck was not made well.

The truck randomly started pulling hard to the right, several people including myself tried figuring that one out but I just got used to driving it like that. My favorite was when the brakes went to ****. Out of nowhere it started locking the rear brakes up under normal braking. If you did not feather the brakes and begin stopping early it would lock up the rear tires.

I wont even go into the upper balljoint problems they got recalled for. Weirdest thing is my friend had the exact same truck and never had any issues with it.

Few other things coming to mind as I remember the truck, the clearcoat was pretty much gone after the first year I owned it. The transmission would not downshift at full throttle. A/C quit working after 2 years. It got 10 mpg and had no power. windows quit working. Im sure there is more I am forgeting.

Every dodge I have ever seen that was a few years old has the clear coat coming off. That's just typical dodge paint. The rest of that is crazy though. I never had a single problem with mine except one of the rollers broke in the window track and the window wouldn't stay up, but that was a $2 fix. It served me well. All I have ever owned is dodges and can't say that any of them has ever given me any problems. This square is the only other thing I have ever owned. My next truck will be a gmc, but only because I'm ready for something different.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Every dodge I have ever seen that was a few years old has the clear coat coming off. That's just typical dodge paint. The rest of that is crazy though. I never had a single problem with mine except one of the rollers broke in the window track and the window wouldn't stay up, but that was a $2 fix. It served me well. All I have ever owned is dodges and can't say that any of them has ever given me any problems. This square is the only other thing I have ever owned. My next truck will be a gmc, but only because I'm ready for something different.

I think Mopars dark years were the early 2000's. I had a 96 Dakota single cab 2wd with a 2.5 4 cylinder and I loved that truck. But again it just started randomly becoming a dodge truck one day at a time.

I actually rebuilt that truck from the ground up from a donor truck. When I got it the whole passenger side was caved in but since it was still so new I fixed it all up and painted it metallic blue.

It went downhill pretty quick, first the cooling system went to ****. I was driving in a snowstorm and the heater just went cold. Then when it got warm outside it started overheating. I changed water pumps, thermostats and flushed coolant. I eventually swapped in a v6 radiator so now the gauge would peg out and then drop to cold, peg out and drop to cold.

Everything electrical started failing, every six months I would lose headlights and have to buy a new headlight switch because the old one would be melted. The radio circuit just lost power and I could never figure out why.

I finally gave up on it and sold it to a couple guys from mexico for 1200 bucks. 2 weeks later they hit a telephone pole in it. So a couple years ago my Dad called me from the wrecking yard and said he was watching it being crushed. Last time I was in that wrecking yard I found one a wheel and tire off of it, kinda made me sad.

I guess what im getting at is dont fall in love with a Dodge truck made around that time.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think Mopars dark years were the early 2000's. I had a 96 Dakota single cab 2wd with a 2.5 4 cylinder and I loved that truck. But again it just started randomly becoming a dodge truck one day at a time.

I actually rebuilt that truck from the ground up from a donor truck. When I got it the whole passenger side was caved in but since it was still so new I fixed it all up and painted it metallic blue.

It went downhill pretty quick, first the cooling system went to ****. I was driving in a snowstorm and the heater just went cold. Then when it got warm outside it started overheating. I changed water pumps, thermostats and flushed coolant. I eventually swapped in a v6 radiator so now the gauge would peg out and then drop to cold, peg out and drop to cold.

Everything electrical started failing, every six months I would lose headlights and have to buy a new headlight switch because the old one would be melted. The radio circuit just lost power and I could never figure out why.

I finally gave up on it and sold it to a couple guys from mexico for 1200 bucks. 2 weeks later they hit a telephone pole in it. So a couple years ago my Dad called me from the wrecking yard and said he was watching it being crushed. Last time I was in that wrecking yard I found one a wheel and tire off of it, kinda made me sad.

I guess what im getting at is dont fall in love with a Dodge truck made around that time.

They had some bad years. But the best diesel truck ever made were the 98-02 cummins 6 speeds.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
still have the first one, 1992 dodge stealth. v6, 5speed. First picture 6 month after acquisition with wheel upgrade. And then current faded look. Clear coat baked off within five years of ownership. At 210k miles now with engine change at 200k(Overheated on the highway due to a failed radiator hose that was only two months old. Did not want to mess with head gaskets/head issues) The failure was actually a major set back as we were over 700 miles away from home on a road trip.
You must be registered for see images attach

first truck was 88 GMC dually. 454, sm465, 4.11 gears, 300k original miles. Miss that truck. Painted in a drive way, made it look presentable and then sold it.
before:

after:

Last edited:

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
If we're gonna be really honest...

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

Yup, steering with the handle going down hill without a helmet! Yeehaw!

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L

Well....ok, but I wasn't planning on going back that far...

K

Attachments

• 63Cat.jpg
    63Cat.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 118

Big Daddy Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
1979 C10 Custom Deluxe. 350/350 powder blue. Bought it when I was 15 and worked on it for 6 months getting everything just right for when I turned 16. Three days after turning 16, blew the damn motor. :whymewhyme:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade