What is this on my PS pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
So my power steering pump bearings failed so I bought a new one and now my steel fitting won’t go in because of this brass ‘obstruction’. Take a look

OLD pump
You must be registered for see images attach

New pump with the brass insert:

I tried getting it out/un-threading it and I can’t. Any ideas? Pump look identical, other than this. Thanks!

Last edited:

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I don't remember which way it goes but one is an older style pump and one is a newer style pump. they take a different style of line, same holds true for power steering pumps on K30's with hydro boost brakes, there's an early style with that inverted flare, and a later style that uses oring sealed hose fittings. or maybe it's the other way around? I get them confused half the time until i'm actually working on them. Lol either way, you need a different pump or a different line.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You have either the wrong pump or the wrong hose/fitting.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Great... haha.

was this change made in a particular year?? I bought a pump for the 79

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Along with being the pressure hose fitting, it is also the pressure relief valve. With the right size larger socket, 1 inch or 1 1/4 etc. use your 1/2 drive impact gun. Hold the pump firmly and spine it out. Use the one from your old pump. Good to go. If your worried about it's removal, practice on your old pump first. You'll need that out to swap anyway.

There will be several "O" rings, make sure they are re-seated before you install the relief valve.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Great... haha.

was this change made in a particular year?? I bought a pump for the 79

Roughly '79 model year, so you probably have a truck that fell somewhere "in between" the changes. so you have one instead of the other. I will tell you that @RockAuto is a great website to reference things like this, they generally have lots of pictures of the parts in the info and search and when you fall in between a year or something just doesn't add up quite right, what I generally do is look a year or two either side of my model year at the same part or parts and look at the pictures in the info and it will show if it's right or not when compared to the part in my hand. they've gotten quite a bit of business from me for this very reason. I had this exact problem trying to find correct hydro boost lines for my K30 and using their part info is exactly how I found the right ones. it might help to take a look that way.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Along with being the pressure hose fitting, it is also the pressure relief valve. With the right size larger socket, 1 inch or 1 1/4 etc. use your 1/2 drive impact gun. Hold the pump firmly and spine it out. Use the one from your old pump. Good to go. If your worried about it's removal, practice on your old pump first. You'll need that out to swap anyway.

There will be several "O" rings, make sure they are re-seated before you install the relief valve.

Thank you, my friend!!! Problem solved

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Roughly '79 model year, so you probably have a truck that fell somewhere "in between" the changes. so you have one instead of the other. I will tell you that @RockAuto is a great website to reference things like this, they generally have lots of pictures of the parts in the info and search and when you fall in between a year or something just doesn't add up quite right, what I generally do is look a year or two either side of my model year at the same part or parts and look at the pictures in the info and it will show if it's right or not when compared to the part in my hand. they've gotten quite a bit of business from me for this very reason. I had this exact problem trying to find correct hydro boost lines for my K30 and using their part info is exactly how I found the right ones. it might help to take a look that way.
Ive been hunting for front coil spring, ive never used rock auto but they came in the cheapest for exactly what i wanted plus it would be here by friday... its tuesday aftn. Theyre gunna get my bizz!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk