What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Got finished mounting up the pipes and cut out the old exhaust.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ordered some flex pipe and a buncha clamps and reducers to hook it up. Found out exhaust flex pipe won’t bend tight enough to get from point A to point B, so have to take it in to a shop and get a couple pieces made from the manifolds to the pipes.
That looks so darn cool.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wrapped up (for now) the Benz tire carrier. Was trying to figure a way to secure the cage and this was the closest/quickest I could find. Will probably revisit the whole thing later when the bed and bumper is on but it work for now. Found these brackets online - only idea as to what they normally do is maybe hanging light fixtures from conduit? Dunno. The hose is 7/8 OD and 1/2 ID - only ones that size are for gas or sandblasting. The wingnuts are ny-locks, but easy to remove and unhook it. This carrier makes removing a 100lb tire feel like 10. Love it.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
This is what I got from the measurements last night...

Mine looks to be about the same. 5/16 across the top. 3/16 wide and 1/4 tall roughly.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Mine looks to be about the same. 5/16 across the top. 3/16 wide and 1/4 tall roughly.
Looks the same to me. Just can't find anything like it yet.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Spent some time doing compression test on the cylinders, all turned out good 170-182.

But left for a cruise to my buddy’s house and didn’t make it out of the neighborhood before I really it wouldn’t shift out of first.

Sure enough, vacuum hose came off the modulator. Backed it up with some clamps, shifting like a champ again.

timbritton

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500sierra
Engine Size
I have had the seat reupholstered. I decided to find a leak that always got my passenger floor wet. After talking off the cowl grill and screen I cleaned what little debris up. Upon inspection I found a gap! About the size and shape of the hole made when you put your thumb on your index finger and crack it open! I put water to it yep a flood. The whole seam had no rust just the hole. To repair it I am using stainless steel to plug and seam sealer. Maybe tomorrow if it’s not too hot and muggy here in the great white north.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Last night I measured the weatherstripping, and while doing so I realized it is a different shape than I originally thought it was. I thought it was T-Shaped, it looked like it from the gas pump as I pumped gas the other day. It's more of a U-Shape with a cap, and McMaster-Carr does not have that shape. Actually I cannot find that shape anywhere. The notebook I drew the shape in and wrote down the measurements, well, I left it at home. I'll try to remember to grab it at lunch.

New seal looks good BTW
Interested in what you find. Something to consider. I “thought” I saw somewhere that rebuild gaskets were now being offered for these windows.
Quick search yielded nothing but I could use to do that on the 86. Nothing looks bad or cracked but they are crispy and not holding the sliders in tight and they rattle.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Interested in what you find. Something to consider. I “thought” I saw somewhere that rebuild gaskets were now being offered for these windows.
Quick search yielded nothing but I could use to do that on the 86. Nothing looks bad or cracked but they are crispy and not holding the sliders in tight and they rattle.
This is the only profile that, while not at all the same as the original, may work.

https://www.steelerubber.com/bulb-seal-70-3904-245#70-3904-245

I am also considering reaching out to Steele-Rubber to see if they have the profile we are trying find.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It started with the speedometer. My needle wandered all over the face and jumped around. So, I removed the cable and lubed the inner.

Then, there was nothing. It just sat at Zero. So, I disconnected the lower end, and made sure it was engaged, and it went back to wobble mode.. So, I bought a new cable, of the same size, that was 1” longer. I now had a speedometer that sat still, but, I lost my left turn signal indicator on the dash. Outside, the lights were still flashing. OK

I tried to grab the bulb from below, like the factory shop manual said. I could not get it out. Still no signal on the dash.

Then, the aftermarket Sun 2 tach went out.

Looked underneath and the wire had pulled out of the fuse box. Tach is back, but it went out again. Finally I noticed that the tach wire was being pulled out by pushing the clutch. Rerouted the wire and the tach is back.

Next day, the turn signal indicator started working! I did not change the bulb. Weird.

Tach working, turn signals working. Only thing on truck not working (not bad for a 43 year old truck) is the back up lights, because my 3 on tree truck was converted to a hurst indy floor shifter. I looked for the wires to the back up switch under the truck. None to be found. Two member of this here Fo-Rum reminded me of the switch location is on the column inside the firewall. (right by my tack wires!), So I grabbed those wires and ran them to a lit switch, which I put in the dash near the wiper switch. Throw the switch and back up lights come on. While the dash was out, I reached up to the RIGHT side of the dash and removed one other dash light that has been out since I bought the truck 4 years ago. The bulb looked good, but when I powered the socket, no light. Huh. Took the bulb out and cleaned the socket. Tried it again and let there be light!. Put it back in the dash and reassembled.

Last night I went out after dark, and all dash lights now work!

I think I now have everything in the truck working.. Tach, Speedo, turn signals, dash lights, back up lights.
Shh. Don’t tell anyone.

Attachments

• Library - 1 of 1 (6).jpeg
    Library - 1 of 1 (6).jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 11

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
But, there are adjustments to make.. Timing, mixture, and someday I will replace the leaky water pump.
This is a simple vehicle. There are less things to break and wear out. I hate new cars.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
It started with the speedometer. My needle wandered all over the face and jumped around. So, I removed the cable and lubed the inner.

Then, there was nothing. It just sat at Zero. So, I disconnected the lower end, and made sure it was engaged, and it went back to wobble mode.. So, I bought a new cable, of the same size, that was 1” longer. I now had a speedometer that sat still, but, I lost my left turn signal indicator on the dash. Outside, the lights were still flashing. OK

I tried to grab the bulb from below, like the factory shop manual said. I could not get it out. Still no signal on the dash.

Then, the aftermarket Sun 2 tach went out.

Looked underneath and the wire had pulled out of the fuse box. Tach is back, but it went out again. Finally I noticed that the tach wire was being pulled out by pushing the clutch. Rerouted the wire and the tach is back.

Next day, the turn signal indicator started working! I did not change the bulb. Weird.

Tach working, turn signals working. Only thing on truck not working (not bad for a 43 year old truck) is the back up lights, because my 3 on tree truck was converted to a hurst indy floor shifter. I looked for the wires to the back up switch under the truck. None to be found. Two member of this here Fo-Rum reminded me of the switch location is on the column inside the firewall. (right by my tack wires!), So I grabbed those wires and ran them to a lit switch, which I put in the dash near the wiper switch. Throw the switch and back up lights come on. While the dash was out, I reached up to the RIGHT side of the dash and removed one other dash light that has been out since I bought the truck 4 years ago. The bulb looked good, but when I powered the socket, no light. Huh. Took the bulb out and cleaned the socket. Tried it again and let there be light!. Put it back in the dash and reassembled.

Last night I went out after dark, and all dash lights now work!

I think I now have everything in the truck working.. Tach, Speedo, turn signals, dash lights, back up lights.
Shh. Don’t tell anyone.
Weird. The high beam indicators didn’t work on the new 77. I was like bummer not tearing the dash apart for that. Then about a week later they started working…. Perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerdanwey