What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Started the engine swap today, we’ll see if I can get it back on the road in a week. Fingers crossed.

You must be registered for see images attach

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I'm getting ready to put this GMC back together. The I/P has decided to work & I'm tired of pushing it around. I've driven it around some & I'm looking forward to another IDI Detroit. This is the first half-ton I've had though. The "un-obtanium" grille is the next project.
Handle that grill "very carefully".......... Been there !

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Handle that grill "very carefully".......... Been there !
Yeah, me too. I had an 80 GMC SB that I had to make the grille for some decades back. There certainly not a plethora of GMC grilles in the boneyard and aftermarket ones don't have the script. I'll take my time with it and see if I can't bring it back close to the factory luster. Thanks for the advice and encouragement too.

HS

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Yeah, me too. I had an 80 GMC SB that I had to make the grille for some decades back. There certainly not a plethora of GMC grilles in the boneyard and aftermarket ones don't have the script. I'll take my time with it and see if I can't bring it back close to the factory luster. Thanks for the advice and encouragement too.

HS
If you wanna replace those missing "bars", I have a section of a grill I can send you.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I have a section of a grill I can send you.
Man, you guys on this site are awesome. I have another grille from the 85-87 era that is broken too. I'm going to perform transplant surgery from it to the '82. There is a large portion of the '82 bolster missing as well as many of the horizontal bars that are either broken in half or missing. I'll post some pics later in the week when I get the opportunity to work on it. Thanks for the help and offers as well.

Strickland

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Kid wanted to go camping, so on went the canopy.
Also we have changed the rear bumper from the sport bumper he had put on to a normal, more functional one we pulled from the junkyard a while ago.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Man, you guys on this site are awesome. I have another grille from the 85-87 era that is broken too. I'm going to perform transplant surgery from it to the '82. There is a large portion of the '82 bolster missing as well as many of the horizontal bars that are either broken in half or missing. I'll post some pics later in the week when I get the opportunity to work on it. Thanks for the help and offers as well.

Strickland
I used Gorilla glue and it's holding so far.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also we have changed the rear bumper from the sport bumper he had put on to a normal, more functional one we pulled from the junkyard a while ago.

Sad to see the sport bumper go, but it's hard to argue with the functionality of a step bumper. That looks like a factory chrome one too.

I like the canopy too, but dang that truck would look cool with an older one. One with crank out windows and some of the aluminum sheet that looks like woodgrain.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
You looking to unload the sport bumper and if so what shape is it in?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
You looking to unload the sport bumper and if so what shape is it in?
It is in great shape, but junior said they are hard to find at junkyard prices like we found ours in.
So he said to put it into the stash for when perhaps a 1/2 ton comes along....

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Researching for the LS rebuild, I found an EngineTech rebuild kit on Amazon for $665 (lower than anywhere else). Come to find out, it appears that the selling vendor could be swapping out parts w/o telling the buyer....from my impression from the reviews.

So I went on RA and built the same kit for $200 more. But I know the parts are Melling/Fel-Pro/Mahle, the pistons (if I don't use the old) might be SILV-O-LITE. Enginetech has them on RA, but decided on Silv because they are on Summit as well and they are only $15 more.

I forgot how much mental labor it is to research something big lol.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres

Been locked out of the canopy for over a year from the pivots and rods rusting up, so today was the day to get back into where all the parts so far accumulated. Now, I have stuff to work with and do.

My other love in the queue, hardbody Nissans. Needs a transmission. Reason I bought this square. But then life got in the way....

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Saw a chevy 350, disassembled, on craigslist for $205. I bought it. Due to go into Ralph (the white truck) in about 2 years. I'm looking at the budget to build and install it, as just a reliable motor, 250 HP originally. I'm thinking mostly stock, with a 4 bbl intake and an Edelbrock 1406, that I already have.
Anyone have parts or advice? Will need to do a manual 3spd to manual 4 speed change over, so I'm looking for a 4 speed manual tranny as a big item.
Anyone recommend a cam for this application? Intake? Heads?

Attachments

• Library - 1 of 2 (4).jpeg
    Library - 1 of 2 (4).jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Library - 2 of 2 (4).jpeg
    Library - 2 of 2 (4).jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member