What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Nice, when you replace them you should get some nice button head bolts to replace the ones that hold the cap to the wheel....
I agree they would look better...but they would not be correct. What I have in there now is the design that it left the factory with and that is what I want it to look like.

I am not trying to get this old war horse back to all original condition but I do want it relatively close.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I agree they would look better...but they would not be correct. What I have in there now is the design that it left the factory with and that is what I want it to look like.

I am not trying to get this old war horse back to all original condition but I do want it relatively close.
I wonder if the Chevrolet ones were orange and the GMC ones were the more red-ish color? I know the original early GMC logo's are all more red-orange than orange. They fade over time to be very orange.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I finally finished my cooling project, but not without incidents. We got back from Lawton around 6:30 yesterday evening so I thought I’d run the 2 remaining wires. Loosely ran the loom where I wanted it & cut the trigger wire to splice in the manual switch wire & the wire running to the light that shows when the fans come on. Connected 1 pigtail to the fan switch in the head & tightened it up. Oops…something’s not feeling right. Shouldn’t be able to wiggle the wire & have movement in the switch. Disconnected & pulled the switch out. Of course in doing this the water was gushing out of the hole. Tried putting one of the switches that came with the kit but as you can see they are different diameters. So, I lost almost ½ gal on the floor. The insulator would turn by hand & I could pull it out of the housing. Been in the truck for 7 yrs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Off to Yo’Riellys for an adaptor for the new switch. Got that mounted & new switch screwed in. Reran loom to a different route but wasn’t satisfied so put it back. It was already pushing 10:30 so wasn’t going to start up & sit idling to bring up to temp so ended there. Always tomorrow.

Got up early to get going again. Heath & Maddox were coming into town soon so I wanted to get the truck as close to going out for a cruise as I could. For the final time, the 2 wires are connected & looms are tied off out of the way. Replaced the lost coolant & fired her up. Sat & ran with the cap off until water started flowing. Switch is 185 on & by the temp gauge they popped on @180. Noted these analogs aren’t known for accuracy.
Sat & idled for 30 minutes & gauge was showing around 185ish. Added a bit more coolant. No leaks anywhere so we went out for a hard pull or 2. Even tho it’s not into triple digits now, it was 91 at the time. Gauge temp was @185ish. Hard to split hairs without a digital readout. Normally it would be 195+. There could still be some air pockets that haven’t worked out but more driving will show more results.
Was the cost worth it or warranted? If it was a stock or just a warmed over engine…no. In my case…yes. Even tho the stock cooling system did work. For what I do with the truck at times it just couldn’t support the extra heat without cool down periods. So with a system with bigger tubes, more capacity & proper fan setup, there is no reason why this won’t let me down.
Next...nap time.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Replaced my passenger window motor today. I've had the motor for several weeks and have been putting it off. Glad to have it done.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So.... a few months ago, the place/building/compound where I work was crazy busy. Our shop and the two others going full tilt boogie, 3x the number of personal vehicles parking, trucks being loaded, making deliveries, just a ton of traffic.

One day, as I was trying to pull my C10 out to go to lunch, I was so focused on the stakebed parked ~20' in front of me, and making sure some FNG didn't come flying around the blind corner to my left, that I cut it too hard and ... RIIIIPPPP! I hooked my passenger side rear fender on the rear bumper of the C1500 next to me! He had a scrape on his fiberglass; my right side was can-openered.

full

Fortunately nothing but the sheet metal was damaged, but it was not really repairable...

So I thought I woukd bite the bullet and get a replacement bed side from LMC or another vendor. Ummmm....or not. A Longbed, Fleetside, RH bed side was not available, Out Of Stock everywhere. one vendor did have one (1), but the price had climbed from $799.00 to $999.00, and truck freight would be $250. But wait! It could not be shipped to California, the manufacturer had not filed 2022 Prop 65 paperwork!

At this point I started to panic. What if this is the New Normal? No parts available, too small a market, govt bans on gasoline coming, shipping a 100lb slab of sheet metal isn't worth it to anybody, etc.

So I hit Craigslist. And there it was! A 1973 full long bed up in Bakersfield! But...I hemmed and hawed, and when I hit the seller up 3 days later, it was gone :-{

But I kept looking, and spotted a 1981 long bed closer to LA. Now, I do not have a shop here, but imagining I could use the loading dock and forklift at work to move whole truck beds around, I bombed out 45 mins West to get the 81 bed.

would have been way easier to take my bed off first then drop this on, but I didn't have the time/energy that week so I just had the seller drop it on top.

Since I was out in Santa Clarita, This was my version of a duallie:

full

Well, I got back to the shop and realized, there was no place to put the pieces, so I drove the bed around like that for a week until I got a friend to help me break it down to put in storage.

Now, My best truck buddy is in Vegas now, so the plan was always to drive there and do the bed surgery. Work suddenly was slow, so I was about to head there when the '73 bed in Bakersfield txt'ed me out of the blue! Actually it was a cool guy named Patrick, turns out he sold his 73 truck but buyer didn't want the bed, did I want it still?

So here is where maybe bad advice and judgement collided. L in Vegas said,

"Oh, yeah, an actual 73 would be better! Bring them both here and we could cut down the other into a shortbed to sell!"

So that is how this picture came about. My poor lowered '73, In Bakersfield, with the pieces of TWO OTHER FULLSIZE TRUCK BEDS, as the payload:

full

Well, driving up 3000 feet of desert elevation with an extra 8-900 lbs in the back was not the nicest thing to do to my Engine. Took almost 24 hrs as I kept stoppong to cool down my overheating engine. But I finally made it....

Upon inspection, the 81 was in better shape, so thst is what we swapped in. Appropriately, I drove back to LA on July 4th, with my truck sporting a patriotic color scheme:

full

Hmmmm .... this pic reminded me of something, what is it...?

Oh, Yeah:

full

BRetty

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So.... a few months ago, the place/building/compound where I work was crazy busy. Our shop and the two others going full tilt boogie, 3x the number of personal vehicles parking, trucks being loaded, making deliveries, just a ton of traffic.

One day, as I was trying to pull my C10 out to go to lunch, I was so focused on the stakebed parked ~20' in front of me, and making sure some FNG didn't come flying around the blind corner to my left, that I cut it too hard and ... RIIIIPPPP! I hooked my passenger side rear fender on the rear bumper of the C1500 next to me! He had a scrape on his fiberglass; my right side was can-openered.

full

Fortunately nothing but the sheet metal was damaged, but it was not really repairable...

So I thought I woukd bite the bullet and get a replacement bed side from LMC or another vendor. Ummmm....or not. A Longbed, Fleetside, RH bed side was not available, Out Of Stock everywhere. one vendor did have one (1), but the price had climbed from $799.00 to $999.00, and truck freight would be $250. But wait! It could not be shipped to California, the manufacturer had not filed 2022 Prop 65 paperwork!

At this point I started to panic. What if this is the New Normal? No parts available, too small a market, govt bans on gasoline coming, shipping a 100lb slab of sheet metal isn't worth it to anybody, etc.

So I hit Craigslist. And there it was! A 1973 full long bed up in Bakersfield! But...I hemmed and hawed, and when I hit the seller up 3 days later, it was gone :-{

But I kept looking, and spotted a 1981 long bed closer to LA. Now, I do not have a shop here, but imagining I could use the loading dock and forklift at work to move whole truck beds around, I bombed out 45 mins West to get the 81 bed.

would have been way easier to take my bed off first then drop this on, but I didn't have the time/energy that week so I just had the seller drop it on top.

Since I was out in Santa Clarita, This was my version of a duallie:

full

Well, I got back to the shop and realized, there was no place to put the pieces, so I drove the bed around like that for a week until I got a friend to help me break it down to put in storage.

Now, My best truck buddy is in Vegas now, so the plan was always to drive there and do the bed surgery. Work suddenly was slow, so I was about to head there when the '73 bed in Bakersfield txt'ed me out of the blue! Actually it was a cool guy named Patrick, turns out he sold his 73 truck but buyer didn't want the bed, did I want it still?

So here is where maybe bad advice and judgement collided. L in Vegas said,

"Oh, yeah, an actual 73 would be better! Bring them both here and we could cut down the other into a shortbed to sell!"

So that is how this picture came about. My poor lowered '73, In Bakersfield, with the pieces of TWO OTHER FULLSIZE TRUCK BEDS, as the payload:

full

Well, driving up 3000 feet of desert elevation with an extra 8-900 lbs in the back was not the nicest thing to do to my Engine. Took almost 24 hrs as I kept stoppong to cool down my overheating engine. But I finally made it....

Upon inspection, the 81 was in better shape, so thst is what we swapped in. Appropriately, I drove back to LA on July 4th, with my truck sporting a patriotic color scheme:

full

Hmmmm .... this pic reminded me of something, what is it...?

Oh, Yeah:

full

BRetty
Too bad yur so far, id be interested in the 73 parts.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I pulled one into the garage.. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm FINALLY going to replace the broken piston in the '77 camo truck.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I pulled one into the garage.. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm FINALLY going to replace the broken piston in the '77 camo truck.

Wish I had that front bumper

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

It was made by Curt @crazy4offroad and is one of my favorite features of the truck. He showed exactly how he built it in his build thread. Iirc, the upper tube was made by his neighbor at a later date.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Started smoothing the firewall today...

Posted it in my build thread but cant help but share it here too because I'm stoked how it has turned out so far.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

It was made by Curt @crazy4offroad and is one of my favorite features of the truck. He showed exactly how he built it in his build thread. Iirc, the upper tube was made by his neighbor at a later date.

I couldn't remember his name but yeah, that screams @crazy4offroad .

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I guess Curt don't love us no more...or has he been around and I just haven't seen him?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I guess Curt don't love us no more...or has he been around and I just haven't seen him?

I believe he still checks in from time to time, but he's not active here anymore.

TerryRH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350ci
Changed out my EGR solenoid today. Still got my check engine light though. May just need to change all associated hoses for the EGR system. I really hate all the emissions junk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80