What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
For sure. I'm trying out Tamco paint, who is mail order only. So far, I like the quality of their products. One of the risks being something like this. Will see if they can correct it.
Quick update, talked to them. Said they've sold that color many times with no reported issues (go figure). But said get them a decent size paint chip of the "right" color and they'll mix a new can to that color, no problem, no charge. Can't ask for more than that!

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver that looks correct. However, I've never had much luck with buying those kind of hard parts from Amazon (always seem to get cheap parts)

Summit lists a few options that "fit" our trucks but they also list the threads so I'd try getting one from them with the correct threads. For <$60 it's worth a shot.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Finally about done rehabbing the wing windows.
They turned out pretty decent. I used the chassis paint with a couple coats of clear over it for UV protection.
Hopefully that will last a good long time.
You must be registered for see images attach

Those aren't scratches on the freshly painted window frame, must be reflections.
FWIW, I've read about how onerous it's supposed to be to get the new gaskets into the window channel.
It was super easy though. Used a little spray and wipe wax for lube and it clipped right in. I did push in one side first and then work the opposite side in with a putty knife.
Gasket install was literally a 5 minute deal and no sore thumbs!
Now if only I hadn't separated the 2 halves of the frame. That was 100% not necessary and I'd like to slap whatever Youtuber I watched before 10 rivets that I now need to re-attach. For anyone doing this, the only rivet that needs to come out is the pivot between the window and the bracket that attaches to the frame!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Today i gave the mini square a much needed bath since it was 40° for once lol

Attachments

• 20220202_123930.jpg
    20220202_123930.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220202_124918.jpg
    20220202_124918.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220202_124926.jpg
    20220202_124926.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 62

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Side note, tried to get a paint chip for the ole mix master to make me some new paint from.
Irony is I removed 90% of the old paint off of this truck with a razor blade and much of it came off in long ribbons.
Now when I need a good chunk of original paint, in tact, everything that is hidden inside the cab is very well bonded and wont peel off....lol.
I'm gonna just have to send them a piece of trim or something off the dash for a color match. Not a huge deal, they need to mail me back a large box anyway.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Side note, tried to get a paint chip for the ole mix master to make me some new paint from.
Irony is I removed 90% of the old paint off of this truck with a razor blade and much of it came off in long ribbons.
Now when I need a good chunk of original paint, in tact, everything that is hidden inside the cab is very well bonded and wont peel off....lol.
I'm gonna just have to send them a piece of trim or something off the dash for a color match. Not a huge deal, they need to mail me back a large box anyway.

Just use the little panel from under the steering column. It may not be dead accurate to the paint that had been on the outside, but no farther off than the variances from truck to truck when new. As long as they can get it reasonably close to that panel, it should be fine for a complete paint job.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just use the little panel from under the steering column. It may not be dead accurate to the paint that had been on the outside, but no farther off than the variances from truck to truck when new. As long as they can get it reasonably close to that panel, it should be fine for a complete paint job.
Ha. That’s the exact piece I took off a bit ago! Paint is perfect on it and I want it to match the interior anyways. This is the difference. Lol

Attachments

• 165EEF87-D88A-4838-BE2E-8CE4D76E3F17.jpeg
    165EEF87-D88A-4838-BE2E-8CE4D76E3F17.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 66

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Ha. That’s the exact piece I took off a bit ago! Paint is perfect on it and I want it to match the interior anyways. This is the difference. Lol
Huge difference, it was good to hear they are going to fix it! That's the reason I'm also using Tamco their customer service is awesome. I'm also happy I wasn't trying to match old color on my truck.

shinkle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Huge difference, it was good to hear they are going to fix it! That's the reason I'm also using Tamco their customer service is awesome. I'm also happy I wasn't trying to match old color on my truck.
I hear fellas talk so highly of Tamco, thats where I'm going. Sounds like good stuff too....and I need all the help I can get.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hear fellas talk so highly of Tamco, thats where I'm going. Sounds like good stuff too....and I need all the help I can get.
I can’t speak to the longevity or durability of their products so I’m still taking a risk there maybe. But so far price, service and initial quality is all good.
Price and service is exceptional.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Jeez, looks like they forgot to add ANY blue

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can’t speak to the longevity or durability of their products so I’m still taking a risk there maybe. But so far price, service and initial quality is all good.
I think they are/were a tool company? How they got into paint....dunno. Haven't seen anyone dislike them - seems to be if they used it, they loved it.

I've got a new Warwick 980 gun been wanting to use (SATA knockoff). Everyone who uses them loves them too......so will see.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I guess we'll see, I like how it applies and I have used the DTM, DTA and the Chassis Black so far. Still a ways from color but I do have a quart and some clear so I'll start shoot bits and pieces soon.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think they are/were a tool company? How they got into paint....dunno. Haven't seen anyone dislike them - seems to be if they used it, they loved it.

I've got a new Warwick 980 gun been wanting to use (SATA knockoff). Everyone who uses them loves them too......so will see.

Run some paint thru that thing and let us know! I’ve got an old Devilbiss Finish line gun and can’t get different tips for it, so it’s great for base, too big for clear, have to paint fast and too small for primer.
Thing is, I don’t know if I’m a schitty painter or it’s the gun, lol. Been thinking about a new gun before I do the big panels but hate to spend $350 and find out I suck at painting and my gun is fine!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising