What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Well, his first job was at a grocery store while he was in high school. I stood with him (supported) when he told me he hated the grocery store job and asked if he could quit. Was my first job also when I was 17 and I hated it. LOL. Then he pissed me off when he took more than 6 months to "find" the perfect job, wanted to work someplace that one of his friends worked. Told me one too many times "I'm looking for a job"

I told him, "tomorrow I am going to show you the difference between looking and getting" I took him to one of the Manpower type businesses that find employees for employers. Because he speaks perfect English, does not have face tattoos and has never been in prison. He was hired on the spot and working the next day. He had to stand in a freezer and assemble Starbucks sandwiches on an assembly line with ex-cons with face tattoos that spoke very little English.

He hated the job but he learned how easy it is to get a job and the principle of stepping stones. Start with what you can get and move UP. It's easier to get a job when you already have one. I had him work with me for a year, was going to turn the business over to him when I retire, both sons don't not want to do what I do, even though he could be making $100.00 an hour within 3 years.

He decided to go the Army route, did a 6x8?(6 active, 2 reserve) tour as a blackhawk helicopter mechanic, deployed 3 times. Because he has 90% disability from the Army he really doesn't need to work so he took an easy job at Autozone. It's hard to watch your kid take a chit job that he is highly over qualified for. I just couldn't let it go and kept planting seeds until he got to the point where the wonderful Autozone customers helped motivate him to seek employment where there are less customers with impulse/anger control issues.

I just happened to meet with a client and it came up in conversation. He was actively looking for someone with automotive knowledge for counter sales. He knew my son had experience looking up parts and extensive auto parts vocabulary knowledge. It was a good match for both parties.

The short answer is I don't talk TO my son's, I talk with them. Instead of telling them what they should be doing, I use other people and myself as examples to teach concepts and life skills. I talk with both of my sons a lot, but NOT like a parent. I learned from others I know that if we don't stop parenting when our kids become adults, we WILL push them away. Making them too comfortable makes it harder for them to self motivate also. Doing too much for them creates dependents instead of adults.

Kind of funny, my son and I just talked about this last night, got a good laugh about the freezer sandwiches job.
I always hoped my son would take after me, hands on, perfectly happy with a wrench in my hand. I remember when he was little and changed the first inner tube on his bicycle. It took an hour but he got it done. The brake job on his FJ Cruiser. I did one side he watched. He did the other, I watched. He just never had the desire like probably most of us on these forums to fix things and be hands on. It seems like this generation (born in 03) doesn’t want to actually “work”.

He’s super smart, at UT, trying to get into the business school, seems to be doing well, especially now the classes are back to normal and not all zoom meetings.

At the end of the day, we just want our kids to have it better than us, give them more than we had, etc.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
We finally had a couple of Spring like days here in purgatory and I was able to get my rebuilt transfer case and drive shafts in.

I started to hang a Hellwig rear sway but I think the brackets are more for 2WD than 4WD and will need modded or just totally redone. I have a much better idea (IMO) for attaching and squaring up the end inks to the frame. I spoke to their tech and he admitted their brackets are a half-arsed 'universal' type setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
We finally had a couple of Spring like days here in purgatory and I was able to get my rebuilt transfer case and drive shafts in.

I started to hang a Hellwig rear sway but I think the brackets are more for 2WD than 4WD and will need modded or just totally redone. I have a much better idea (IMO) for attaching and squaring up the end inks to the frame. I spoke to their tech and he admitted their brackets are a half-arsed 'universal' type setup.

Very nice!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Got the dash back together after a 4 day (couple of hours after work each day) job of cluster circuit board R & R.

Find out tonight if it all still works as she got road tested on bumpy roads.

The LMC circuit board was not to blame - loose bulb holders and 4 years of reaching up to wiggle them or pull and put them back in were.

I just did not want to get back in the dash - real PITA job.

Attachments

• 20220315_200718.jpg
    20220315_200718.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220316_183004.jpg
    20220316_183004.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220316_205343.jpg
    20220316_205343.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220318_205606.jpg
    20220318_205606.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 46

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
It looks odd to see bulb sockets without wires attached.(the good kind of odd) So much cleaner looking than the Mopar stuff from the 70's

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
It looks odd to see bulb sockets without wires attached.(the good kind of odd) So much cleaner looking than the Mopar stuff from the 70's

I guess the positive to the bulb sockets with wires is in theory the problem I had could not occur.

Unfortunately Mopar wiring in trucks was never that great in the 70s in my experience.

Vans = no problem even with the same fuse box in the glove box set up.

I don't get it.

Helluva lot easier to get the dash off on a Dodge truck, though.

:)

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Got the dash back together after a 4 day (couple of hours after work each day) job of cluster circuit board R & R.

Find out tonight if it all still works as she got road tested on bumpy roads.

The LMC circuit board was not to blame - loose bulb holders and 4 years of reaching up to wiggle them or pull and put them back in were.

I just did not want to get back in the dash - real PITA job.
doing that to my gmc ,waiting on LMC for a new printed circuit. How was yours from LMC,also got some new bulb holders as mine seem to be loose in a few holes. Did you glue or silicone your new board down to keep it in place?? thinking I willl do that to mine when I get it

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
doing that to my gmc ,waiting on LMC for a new printed circuit. How was yours from LMC,also got some new bulb holders as mine seem to be loose in a few holes

I don't think the LMC one is quite as rugged as the OE, but that is just based on the visual. Functionally it was 100 percent correct. And, flat when brand new so you have to shape it for the electrical connector spot and the turn signals.

I did not silicone the board down - probably help make the job a little easier, but you would also probably have to wait for it to vulcanize.

I would test the lights before you reinstall the cluster and if you need to silicone them to stay put I would try putting the silicone on the holder where it goes in the cluster housing, not on the outside like I did.

New bulb holders did not completely solve the problem for me as I think the housing is worn.

I should have also ordered a new clear lens, but did not want to wait.

Mine has ... patina.

:p

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I don't think the LMC one is quite as rugged as the OE, but that is just based on the visual. Functionally it was 100 percent correct. And, flat when brand new so you have to shape it for the electrical connector spot and the turn signals.

I would test the lights before you reinstall the cluster and if you need to silicone them to stay put I would try putting the silicone on the holder where it goes in the cluster housing, not on the outside like I did.

New bulb holders did not completely solve the problem for me as I think the housing is worn.

I should have also ordered a new clear lens, but did not want to wait.

Mine has ... patina.

:p
thanks , the area around the turn indicators seem to be a weak spot as well,I was thinking using some silicone to hold it down would help the plastic board get trained to the curves. I have had this cluster in and out 4 times chasing gremlins this winter so I will definitly check all the lights, latest gremlin was High beam indicator lights which is why I went a ahead with a new board

born2Run83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC - C1500
Engine Size
5.3L LM7
TruTrac rear end pieces coming in over the next couple weeks. Center section showed up the other day. Rear wheel disc and axles with housing should be next.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well, after being parked for a year, I pulled mine out and washed it last weekend. Right now it’s hooked to the boat so I can move it around the yard easier to cut grass until the boat is sold. I sealed the deal on another push bar so once I go pick that up it’ll be going on the front with the 6x9 lights I got from @bucket . @Mr Clean was correct, I sold the one I had and started to regret it. Don’t y’all hate being right all the time? I have also gone way too long without changing anything up front.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Well, after being parked for a year, I pulled mine out and washed it last weekend. Right now it’s hooked to the boat so I can move it around the yard easier to cut grass until the boat is sold. I sealed the deal on another push bar so once I go pick that up it’ll be going on the front with the 6x9 lights I got from @bucket . @Mr Clean was correct, I sold the one I had and started to regret it. Don’t y’all hate being right all the time? I have also gone way too long without changing anything up front.
I will say it's hard to be humble when your just this damn good...LOL

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Well, not mine but a buddy dropped his K5 off for me to work on. Harmonic balancer outer ring slipped, and walked back into the timing cover.

I did oil pan gasket, timing cover gaskets and seal, new water neck, used balancer, timing adjustment, carb adjustment and some general cleaning for him.

As payment, he’s ordering us some electric fan shrouds from Tejas Steelworks to go with the F Body fans we picked up a while back.

Hammerback

Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Today I picked up a set (well..almost a set, got 3) rally style wheels for my 85 GMC. I need one more, 15X8-6 lug, I tried to post in the “wanted” section, unfortunately, I have “insufficient privelages” to post? I found one on eBay but the center hub section doesn’t look as large as the three I have. If anyone has a rim, or could point me in the right direction, that’s all I need to get it licensed and on the road. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith